#1October 17th, 2012 · 04:15 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Anniversary (remix)

This song is not in a battle

Made some EQ changes, bass cut on all instruments, volume levels on tracks - Sounds more transparent now.
I'm not happy with my solo's, bit sloppy, so will definitely re-record the lead, I realise now I should have been led by the Bass line and not the chords, which is what i normally listen to when soloing.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 17th, 2012 · 04:43 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
hi mate
Nice touch Denis drums are cool the ride swims things up a treat & guitars very sweet.With regards the bass & you know how i just love bass lines my only suggestion is in the solo to switch your excellent bass line to open it up .. swing ala classic jazz swing 5ths line melodic  and in so doing doo daaa dede doo daaa and move the groove smooth..type thing then back to your bass line I reckon it it may even float it more.
Thanks for posting really enjoyed.

gg

#3October 17th, 2012 · 05:38 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
There is a place called Denis in heaven .... you are the sound of the sun shining
I'm just enjoying this all the way
#4October 18th, 2012 · 12:52 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Eq is nicer but I'd prefer hearing more of the mids or treble of the bass.

However i don't know if it's just reading your comments but somehow the playing does feel sloppy.
#5October 18th, 2012 · 04:31 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
JieXian wrote…
Eq is nicer but I'd prefer hearing more of the mids or treble of the bass.

However i don't know if it's just reading your comments but somehow the playing does feel sloppy.

About the Bass Guitar, I initially thought the same, but after hearing this mix in my car today, which has a decent hi-fi set-up, sits very nice in the mix. You can hear all the frequencies, there is nothing clashing, which means everything is clear. I can hear everything at low and high volume - I doubt if I could improve it.  My only other thought was to use another Bass.  The Bass used in this mix is an Ibanez SR-500, it has a Character of it's own.  I also have an 80's Ibanez Musician Bass, which is lovely for Jazz, I may experiment with it, has a rounder tone compared with the SR-500, similar to that of a Fender JAzz, which one day I intend to purchase, probably one MIM, the USA ones are the best, but they are much more expensive. I could simply upgrade the pic-ups on the MIM version.  I did this on a Epiphone Les Paul, upgrading to Seymour Duncan pick ups, WOW what a sound - it's just as good as a £2,500 Gibson IMO

Yes and I definitely need to re-record the Lead Guitar - VERY SLOPPY solo's...lol
#6October 18th, 2012 · 02:19 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: hi mate
yokoinc wrote…
Nice touch Denis drums are cool the ride swims things up a treat & guitars very sweet.With regards the bass & you know how i just love bass lines my only suggestion is in the solo to switch your excellent bass line to open it up .. swing ala classic jazz swing 5ths line melodic  and in so doing doo daaa dede doo daaa and move the groove smooth..type thing then back to your bass line I reckon it it may even float it more.
Thanks for posting really enjoyed.

gg
 ;)

Do you mean have a swing style rhythm in the solo?
#7October 24th, 2012 · 07:18 AM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
Detour to swing town 
#8October 26th, 2012 · 12:42 AM
60 threads / 45 songs
149 posts
United States of America
i have always admire your work.. although i dont lestion to alota jazz
#9October 31st, 2012 · 11:42 AM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Inspiring. Really. But also a bit intimidating.

After one recent song you posted (with the bongos) I disappeared into my studio and could not capture that bongo sound - but did make some very simple pseudo jazz pieces. I emerge a little wiser to find this. This!

Great work on this one Denis.
#10October 31st, 2012 · 12:08 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Soni wrote…
Inspiring. Really. But also a bit intimidating.

After one recent song you posted (with the bongos) I disappeared into my studio and could not capture that bongo sound - but did make some very simple pseudo jazz pieces. I emerge a little wiser to find this. This!

Great work on this one Denis.

Funny, I tried recording the bongos on this track, but it sounded pants - Don't give up, sometimes you simply need to experiment with mics, rooms, mic, placements before you find what works for you.
Did you make sure your skins are nice and tight, you need to get the pitch high - I gambled, I've got a cheap Stagg set, hide skins, quite thick imo, I tightened them up as much as I could. I also noticed when I first got them that I was a bit lame at hitting them, so I started to get more aggressive with them, to my amazement it sounded OK, or better should I say...lol. This is only my experience, I'm no expert, but as I said sometimes we need to experiment and try out different things.
#11October 31st, 2012 · 09:03 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try, tightening them and placements.

Hopefully I won't get lost this time.

Again. Great work on this song.
#12November 2nd, 2012 · 05:17 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
Great feel and lovely licks as usual but I feel the mix is a bit all over the place
I really love the drums but all I can hear is the ride and I'm missing on the lovely rim shots
#13November 2nd, 2012 · 07:24 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
vincentL wrote…
Great feel and lovely licks as usual but I feel the mix is a bit all over the place
I really love the drums but all I can hear is the ride and I'm missing on the lovely rim shots

Thanks Vincent -  yes I need to work on the drums cutting through better, This was all recorded in a mater of hours. I'd like to re-record everything again, plus work on the arrangement, needs more variation to make it more interesting.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 8:50 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.