#1October 13th, 2012 · 03:54 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
15 to 5

This song is not in a battle

A dark slide steel string song, my first one with lyrics. Simply done with no editing.

EDIT:  Updated version:  http://soundcloud.com/jiexian/15-to-5-v1-5

Hi all, it's a long time since I've last been here. Just had no decent material for a long time.

Inspired by The White Stripes, Rodrigo y Gabriela and Them crooked vultures (elephants), in that order.

Any comments/criticisms/suggestions are very appreciated because going to use this in a competition. The entry must be less than 3 minutes that's why it's short. Then again I can't think of how to extend it. (yet).

Thanks for your time

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 13th, 2012 · 05:48 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: 15 to 5
JieXian wrote…
A dark slide steel string song, my first one with lyrics. Simply done with no editing.

Hi all, it's a long time since I've last been here. Just had no decent material for a long time.

Inspired by The White Stripes, Rodrigo y Gabriela and Them crooked vultures (elephants), in that order.

Any comments/criticisms/suggestions are very appreciated because going to use this in a competition. The entry must be less than 3 minutes that's why it's short. Then again I can't think of how to extend it. (yet).

Thanks for your time :D

Hi JieXian ...

first of all wellcome to band amp .. I missed your early uploads ...sorrry!!!
so i listen to this hard as you going into competition
big ask is what is the competition???
any url for it??
Ive listened 5 times now....

So critique as I hear it if that ok

great opening ,,,intro
slide coool very coool

gets me ready for voc

edgy vocal
nice !!

BUT guitar fallin out of tune...that happens
halt
then bak to rhythm guitar  ..cool outro
is that a whammy bar ... no neck pull at the end haha

i love this .....especially your vocals .very hard ..in this song
. but .full on you can sing in tune and with feeling Im sure
you give it 100 percent
end

100%fish
#3October 13th, 2012 · 06:06 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: 15 to 5
swordfish wrote…
JieXian wrote…

Thanks for your time :D

Hi JieXian ...

first of all wellcome to band amp .. I missed your early uploads ...sorrry!!!
so i listen to this hard as you going into competition
big ask is what is the competition???
any url for it??
Ive listened 5 times now....

So critique as I hear it if that ok

great opening ,,,intro
slide coool very coool

gets me ready for voc

edgy vocal
nice !!

BUT guitar fallin out of tune...that happens
halt
then bak to rhythm guitar  ..cool outro
is that a whammy bar ... no neck pull at the end haha

i love this .....especially your vocals .very hard ..in this song
. but .full on you can sing in tune and with feeling Im sure
you give it 100 percent
end

100%fish

man if u in an open song competition u should win ..... aaah but

if its a blues song????

slow the tempo ...... i swear its frantic (((tooo fast )))

by miles for a blues  song

as we dont know what the competition is

cant help....

but beauty is blues can be delivered slow and quicker to suit the occasion

fish
#4October 14th, 2012 · 02:09 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Sorry for the late reply, thank you very much,

This isn't meant to be blues, I meant it to be a rock fusion, but most of all I'm very inspired by The white stripes and I feel a chaotic song would express the feelings going through that person

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151452984894741&set=a.447173179740.231900.95743749740&type=1&theater

it's an open competition . Any genre, any music, anything. It's organised by a part of the national papers so I think that this is going to be HUGE

My guitar gets out of tune? haha it's probably because it's an open C. Hopefully it's not too much of a problem

I'm not using a whammy bar, I was bending my neck as I have a truss rod.

Thanks again, I've never been confident about my vocals before hahaha but I've been singing a lot in my car and in the shower for some time haha.

(How can I get the other 0.5 points from you? )
#5October 14th, 2012 · 07:09 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I'll give you the 0.5 a point ....
Just keep on singing in the car and in the shower, keep on playing that amazing guitar, record this again, a tight flaming guitar track and then record a longer more elaborate vocal, fill the song up a bit, and get into it ...
.... then I'll give you the other 9.5  
Really enjoyed this version ... still want to hear the worked and refined version
#6October 14th, 2012 · 07:31 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Refreshing style - interesting sounds.
The guitar sounds a bit shrill, I'd experiment with mic position, there's plenty of tutorials on the net.  Also I think if you play slightly softer when playing rhythm you will get better sound and dynamics.

I think the length is fine.

The vocal needs work - don't know what to suggest other than it sounds thin, get closer to the mic.
#7October 14th, 2012 · 10:25 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll definitely try them out.

Currently I'm only using one mic. I'll try using another mic near the 12th fret (that's what I've been hearing). For that take the mic was high, nearer to my head.

Btw I'm using cellphones as mics and my chair handle as a stand haha but I'll make the best of what I can based on your advice. I think the thin vocals is just my voice haha I'll try to make it manlier

Playing softer when I'm singing sounds makes a lot of sense

kings wrote…
I'll give you the 0.5 a point ....
Just keep on singing in the car and in the shower, keep on playing that amazing guitar, record this again, a tight flaming guitar track and then record a longer more elaborate vocal, fill the song up a bit, and get into it ...
.... then I'll give you the other 9.5  
Really enjoyed this version ... still want to hear the worked and refined version

Haha but this contest requires it to be a 1 take track so this is all I can use    I've been thinking about extending the track too but the time limit's 3 minutes for the first round and the dateline's this Friday so I'm focus on polishing what I have for now.

Thanks, I'll be uploading another one by tomorrow.
#8October 14th, 2012 · 11:31 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
I've just recorded another one before sleeping, still using only 1 mic for now, but bringing it closer and man did it make a huge difference, thanks a lot for that suggestion, wouldn't have thought of it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f4ix52lcpq2n0k5
#9October 14th, 2012 · 03:43 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
JieXian wrote…
I've just recorded another one before sleeping, still using only 1 mic for now, but bringing it closer and man did it make a huge difference, thanks a lot for that suggestion, wouldn't have thought of it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f4ix52lcpq2n0k5
I did not want to download their set-up - Try soundcloud it's much more user friendly and easy for us to listen
http://soundcloud.com/
Or simply upload it again here on the AMP and retitle it V2
#10October 14th, 2012 · 09:44 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
http://soundcloud.com/jiexian/15-to-5-v1-5

Here it is, I plan to upload a V2 later with a rougher voice. I'm interested in opinions on this before I do that, due to time zone problems (GMT+8 here).

Forgot to cut it, can't do it now because I'm at uni. Starts after the first harmonic chord.

Thanks
#11October 15th, 2012 · 02:20 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
JieXian wrote…

Here it is, I plan to upload a V2 later with a rougher voice. I'm interested in opinions on this before I do that, due to time zone problems (GMT+8 here).

Forgot to cut it, can't do it now because I'm at uni. Starts after the first harmonic chord.

Thanks
Better quality recording

the vocal still needs work - work on your pitch, practice scales and what nots before you record - still think you should try and play softer.
Sounds like you are trying too hard, focus more on the feel rather than thrashing it out
#12October 16th, 2012 · 06:59 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Denis wrote…
JieXian wrote…

Thanks
Better quality recording

the vocal still needs work - work on your pitch, practice scales and what nots before you record - still think you should try and play softer.
Sounds like you are trying too hard, focus more on the feel rather than thrashing it out

You're right, I've been trying to have more control this past day too.

However I'm now thinking about making the structure a little more ..... suited for a competition, based on a friend's advice based on his experience
#13October 16th, 2012 · 12:58 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
There's a nice, bluesy song here but it needs a lot of polishing. The recording quality could be better but I couldn't advise on that. The thing that sticks out most is the slide guitar playing, it needs more practice. Slide is a pitchy instrument and you need to make sure you're positioned right over the frets. I would practice it slowly and build up the speed gradually. Do a bunch of recordings, listen hard to what parts are most out of tune, and practice a lot. Overall, I'd play this quieter too, it sounds like you're getting a lot of clash with the strings when the slide comes down. The part after the vocals in particular needs work, just listening to the open guitar you strum after that section it sounds like your guitar is out of tune.

You have a nice tune now you just need to practice, practice, practice.
#14October 17th, 2012 · 04:34 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
thanks i've realised that too and I've been trying to fix it.

I'm scrapping the vocals because my friend said that my pronunciation and tone are too bad.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 10:13 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.