#1October 11th, 2012 · 01:04 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Perfect World - Cover

This song is not in a battle

So this is a cover of the song Perfect World by the band Kodaline. Mainly I wanted to mess around with this playing with layers of vocals cause usually I only use one vocal track in my song and I wanted to know if I've kind of achieved the effect correctly, or layered too much, and things like that.
thank you!!!!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 11th, 2012 · 03:32 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Layering vocals creates huge presence, but it's normally more effective in a full band with strings and what not simply for it to cut through the mix.
This is more acoustic, so you don't need to layer them, most acoustic songs have very little effect such as reverb, so as to create an intimate feel, but your vocal performance is vulnerable for any tiny mistake, there is nowhere to hide. But then again it depends on the song, if the lyrics complement a choir of voices then that would work.
The layers sound nice in this song, however your timing does go off in bits - you can cheat by using the Haas effect.

I actually like the lead guitar tone and performance.

It would be nice if you could build the song dynamics, start with just acoustic guitar and dry single vocal, gradually introducing layered vox, drums, bass, a bit of grunge guitar rhythm, strings synth etc.
your new gear is great, much better recording quality
#3October 11th, 2012 · 03:35 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
All I can say is that the VOCALS SOUND GREAT!  I could totally hear this work in a CD So hurry up and start recording one
#4October 11th, 2012 · 05:12 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Perfect World - Cover
TheKunadiun wrote…
So this is a cover of the song Perfect World by the band Kodaline. Mainly I wanted to mess around with this playing with layers of vocals cause usually I only use one vocal track in my song and I wanted to know if I've kind of achieved the effect correctly, or layered too much, and things like that.
thank you!!!! :D

Hi Kunadiun

I JUST WENT BACK AND LISTENED TO
I'm Gunna be OK....
its here http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/6075.html

SO STANDBACK AND SMILE..... a big cheeeesey grin required

So WOW !!!! What a fantastic journey you have been on

I will leave others to comment on the latest and just say
BANDAMP IS VERY COOL!!!!!! AND SO ARE YOU !!!:):)
Tracking you thru time!!!

SWORDFISH
#5October 12th, 2012 · 02:02 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
@Denis - Okay that makes perfect sense (about when layering usually is used), and building up is something I wanted to try for this (like starting with just the acoustic dry vox and adding layers and building up as it went on) but I figure I didn't want to spend too much time on it because I do want to spend the bulk of my free time on getting my original songs recorded you know? But messing around with this has been great for more experimentation and ideas. and I love build-ups. and yeah the timing is off, easy fix but..thats just me being lazy
Thanks so much! and I'm super happy with how my recordings have sounded lately! all I did was get a condenser mic. amazing what a different just a mic makes. its made recording much more fun and less irritating because I could never figure out why I wasn't getting a very clear sound.

@UndercoverApple - Aw thanks so much man  and good news, that's my main goal. I hope to have it finished before the end of December!! So for the next few months I'll be recording and mixing like crazy and hopefully end up with something half-alright

@swordfish - man swordy thank you so much hopefully I can keep improving. I know I've got lots to work on but thats why I like just messing around and experimenting. I'm very excited to fully get working on this album

thanks guys! you're all amazing. bandamp is truly amazing.
#6October 13th, 2012 · 08:24 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
@Denis - Okay that makes perfect sense (about when layering usually is used), and building up is something I wanted to try for this (like starting with just the acoustic dry vox and adding layers and building up as it went on) but I figure I didn't want to spend too much time on it because I do want to spend the bulk of my free time on getting my original songs recorded you know? But messing around with this has been great for more experimentation and ideas. and I love build-ups. and yeah the timing is off, easy fix but..thats just me being lazy
Thanks so much! and I'm super happy with how my recordings have sounded lately! all I did was get a condenser mic. amazing what a different just a mic makes. its made recording much more fun and less irritating because I could never figure out why I wasn't getting a very clear sound.

@UndercoverApple - Aw thanks so much man  and good news, that's my main goal. I hope to have it finished before the end of December!! So for the next few months I'll be recording and mixing like crazy and hopefully end up with something half-alright

@swordfish - man swordy thank you so much hopefully I can keep improving. I know I've got lots to work on but thats why I like just messing around and experimenting. I'm very excited to fully get working on this album

thanks guys! you're all amazing. bandamp is truly amazing.
Man we all generally lead hectic busy lives, I can understand finding time to do things, I sure am a victim myself, however through the encouragement of  bandAMP members here, I'm spending more time planning and preparing my recording, perfomances and it seems to be paying off. I've compared my performaces to recent recordings and it's better more tighter, arrangements, rhythms. The problem I've had, is being impatient or to enthusiastic to record a track - slowly I'm getting used to working on a song one-step-at-a time - Believe me it's worth the time and effort..
#7October 15th, 2012 · 04:43 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
When your in time, both (all) vocals track it sounds excellent, a real big effect ... I think it sound good with the minimalistic guitar ... but when they are in time.
You might be getting the effect but your performances are not top notch so it may loose the effect too.
You strain the chorus and you've got plops, (sounds painful! )
Did like song very much just take more time, you dont have to bash them out 10 to the dozen, god is in the details anyway!

#8October 15th, 2012 · 05:23 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
When your in time, both (all) vocals track it sounds excellent, a real big effect ... I think it sound good with the minimalistic guitar ... but when they are in time.
You might be getting the effect but your performances are not top notch so it may loose the effect too.
Did like song very much just take more time, you dont have to bash them out 10 to the dozen, god is in the details anyway!

;)

ok so most ampers dont like that phasing effect
off time vocal sound (btw i love it!!)
ive noticed that............

so how to fix??????

DON'T  I LOVE IT ....but..... next post
#9October 15th, 2012 · 05:26 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
swordfish wrote…
kings wrote…

;)

ok so most ampers dont like that phasing effect
off time vocal sound (btw i love it!!)
ive noticed that............

so how to fix??????

DON'T  I LOVE IT ....but..... next post

have a look at shifting your 2nd 3rd voice by milliseconds to make it very very dreamy ........ offset sounds just a bit??? so its not a perfect world !!!! then pull it back tight to be in one??

its just a thought......stupid or otherwise

+ the guitar solo needs filling out somehow

flying with you  fish
#10November 24th, 2012 · 12:42 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
AWESOME COVER CRAIG  

Your layered vox sound great, but the problem I have with them is they bother me as an 'engineer' as they sound out of phase so it just I just find it irritating.

Great awesomeness of a solo!

Also, you might want to invest in a popscreen, or make one yourself.  Or just High pass it around 80 hz
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 7:54 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.