1 2

#1September 11th, 2012 · 03:31 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Mambojambo

This song is not in a battle

EDIT* Listen to the re-mix and tell what you think please http://soundcloud.com/denis0260/mambojambo

Funny how the sunshine lifts our spirits - Recorded this in half a day, although I did work in the guitar parts and drums over the last week. It's the first time I've really worked on the melody and rhythm fitting together, making minor changes here and there.
Added real percussion: Bongos, Shakers, Tambourine and a Triangle - forgot how much fun it was using them.
Used Ezdrummer Funkmaster Jambo kit for Drums - I like the snare, nice and crisp - in fact the whole kit is great for this style of music IMO.
Used an Ibanaz SR500 Bass through a Jazz a line 6 pod Jazz Module - I wasn't too happy with this Bass when I first got it, but it 's starting to grow on me, hence my other bass, an Ibanez Musician (early 80's) had been my only Bass for around twenty-five years.
Lead and rhythm Guitar Rally Blue Harlem Arch Top - Just put some slightly thicker gauge flat wound strings on her and adjusted the neck and bridge, which lowered the action a bit making it easier to play -  this guitar is amazing value for money, great sound and joy to play.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 11th, 2012 · 07:55 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Love the drum sound.
What's the secret to recording bongos? Yours sound great! Mine do not.
Also, you keep the pieces tied together (on beat) very well. That's tough.

What's the guitar used with, an amp? Another line 6?

Great sound, great melody, great piece.

Thanks for sharing the 'What you used'.
#3September 12th, 2012 · 01:39 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Soni wrote…
Love the drum sound.
What's the secret to recording bongos? Yours sound great! Mine do not.
Also, you keep the pieces tied together (on beat) very well. That's tough.

What's the guitar used with, an amp? Another line 6?

Great sound, great melody, great piece.

Thanks for sharing the 'What you used'.
There are no secrets to recording really. First off as I always say the quality of the sound source is the most important. So in the case of Bongos it's very important to tune the skins tight. If you are not sure how tight, compare the pitch of yours to ones professionally recorded or ask a pro to tune them. When I first started playing I played too many beats, better to keep it simple and add some accents, having said this I'm by no means an expert.
Guitar was indeed through line 6 pod with Fender bassman amp module.
#4September 12th, 2012 · 11:57 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
great piece of work Denis. amazing, indescribable for me.
I sóóó love those Bongo's!
recording is wonderfull too, but I wonder about the loudness, isnt it flatter and louder than necessary?
really the only thing I can find to nag on i guess :p
gonna have a listen again
#5September 12th, 2012 · 12:40 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
great piece of work Denis. amazing, indescribable for me.
I sóóó love those Bongo's!
recording is wonderfull too, but I wonder about the loudness, isnt it flatter and louder than necessary?
really the only thing I can find to nag on i guess :p
gonna have a listen again

Not sure what you mean about flatter and louder?
On my PC speakers is sounds brighter than in my car, but at high volume in my car it sound great. If you are talking about the over loudness, it does appear to be lower than average, but this I did as an experiment. After looking at a few vids of pro producers, they were saying there is a sort of battle on who can produce the loudest track, but in doing so you take all the dynamics and bass out of the song. So there we have it. On the other hand I could probably raise the treble of a few things, but I tell you at high volume the sound is nice, if I were to boost the trebles I think it would sound shrill at high volume - and I do like to crank it up....
#6September 12th, 2012 · 01:15 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
I ment compression wise, everything seems to be so present all the time, which in this kind of music aint necesary I think? Some gain riding or better, volume automation, or best simply less compression?
Just wondering about it, will play this on my stereo too( on monitors/headphones so far)
#7September 12th, 2012 · 01:54 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
I ment compression wise, everything seems to be so present all the time, which in this kind of music aint necesary I think? Some gain riding or better, volume automation, or best simply less compression?
Just wondering about it, will play this on my stereo too( on monitors/headphones so far)
You may well be right - I'll check it
Cheers
#8September 12th, 2012 · 04:06 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Here's another Mix - There was slightly too much compression on the lead guitar, plus re-panned a bit and some Eq changes - bit more dynamic
http://soundcloud.com/denis0260/mambojambo
#9September 12th, 2012 · 07:31 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
I listened again. I still enjoy the composition. However, keeping in mind the above comments, I am struck with a thought. Rare, I know.

I am just now starting to learn about tube amps, ( I bought a Carvin) and I've learned that with Tubes you get a lot of variability with volume, depending on your playing, something that just doesn't come out with solid-state. Maybe what's happening is, there is so much being sent through the circuitry on your Line Pods that this gives all the interments a 'flat' sound - as in one volume.

The song is full of instruments, which gives it a great club feel with lots of people playing the song. An aspect I really enjoy. And if you started adding dynamics then things would get lost. But the lead guitar could you a little bit of expression in how hard you hit the strings. I hadn't noticed until MaxdB pointed it out.

Is that what you are talking about Max?

My opinion, at this point in the creation, is that unless you are just aching to get it right, move on and keep that in mind for the future. The song sounds great - and adding dynamics might mean some of the percussion has to go to make room for the subtle changes in guitar sound. And the percussion here is part of the fun.

Just a thought.
#10September 13th, 2012 · 12:17 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
65 posts
United States of America
dude
Oh Man I felt like I was catchin a wave right around 4:20 at the beach on a bluesky day, checkin out the chicks, then I visioned people shopping at coffee shops.....................IDK Just sayin.......

GOOD VIBE, IM LISTNING AGAIN, It is very uplifting.
#11September 13th, 2012 · 01:41 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Soni wrote…
I listened again. I still enjoy the composition. However, keeping in mind the above comments, I am struck with a thought. Rare, I know.

I am just now starting to learn about tube amps, ( I bought a Carvin) and I've learned that with Tubes you get a lot of variability with volume, depending on your playing, something that just doesn't come out with solid-state. Maybe what's happening is, there is so much being sent through the circuitry on your Line Pods that this gives all the interments a 'flat' sound - as in one volume.

The song is full of instruments, which gives it a great club feel with lots of people playing the song. An aspect I really enjoy. And if you started adding dynamics then things would get lost. But the lead guitar could you a little bit of expression in how hard you hit the strings. I hadn't noticed until MaxdB pointed it out.

Is that what you are talking about Max?

My opinion, at this point in the creation, is that unless you are just aching to get it right, move on and keep that in mind for the future. The song sounds great - and adding dynamics might mean some of the percussion has to go to make room for the subtle changes in guitar sound. And the percussion here is part of the fun.

Just a thought.
Interesting concepts.
Having read max and your thoughts, I think it's down to basics. The rhythm guitar was recorded too flat, I was experimenting, like I am a lot of the time, so had to boost the mids and trebles in the mix. You can't boost them too much otherwise is sounds false.
The other thing is I'm  not quite up to par in my playing - a mixture of health and busy with home chores. But next month when one of my daughters starts UNI I'll have the house myself, which means I can free up, let loose and get a bit crazy.
*EDIT* Just listened to the remix found on soundcloud link http://soundcloud.com/denis0260/mambojambo  I love the re-mix in my car, you can here every instrument clearly and it's fatter.
#12September 13th, 2012 · 06:00 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Mambojambo
Denis wrote…
EDIT* Listen to the re-mix and tell what you think please http://soundcloud.com/denis0260/mambojambo

Funny how the sunshine lifts our spirits - Recorded this in half a day, although I did work in the guitar parts and drums over the last week. It's the first time I've really worked on the melody and rhythm fitting together, making minor changes here and there.
Added real percussion: Bongos, Shakers, Tambourine and a Triangle - forgot how much fun it was using them.
Used Ezdrummer Funkmaster Jambo kit for Drums - I like the snare, nice and crisp - in fact the whole kit is great for this style of music IMO.
Used an Ibanaz SR500 Bass through a Jazz a line 6 pod Jazz Module - I wasn't too happy with this Bass when I first got it, but it 's starting to grow on me, hence my other bass, an Ibanez Musician (early 80's) had been my only Bass for around twenty-five years.
Lead and rhythm Guitar Rally Blue Harlem Arch Top - Just put some slightly thicker gauge flat wound strings on her and adjusted the neck and bridge, which lowered the action a bit making it easier to play -  this guitar is amazing value for money, great sound and joy to play.

skill ............ everything getting better...
nice one

slap anything close by fish
#13September 14th, 2012 · 09:41 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Very well done Denis....You have crossed to yet anther level...Top notch material...very pro indeed!
#14September 14th, 2012 · 02:25 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
its sounding more open to me, love it.
#15September 14th, 2012 · 05:18 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
its sounding more open to me, love it.
Cheers Max, I've since done another mix, amazing I'm learning little things all the time. I mixed the percussion & drums on their own and was able to blend them better. Time to move on .

and thanks for everyone else and their comments, I love challenges and overcoming them - this has been a new adventure for me.  It's taken me to another level.    
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 6:35 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.