1 2

#1August 30th, 2012 · 11:09 AM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Broke Into My Heart

This song is not in a battle

It's a jazzy thing.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I am having a phasing problem.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 30th, 2012 · 01:38 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
phase problem on what source?
hearing more of a timing or rhythm problem on guitar here and there :p
Production not top yet,  but there is  a nice song in there , you could use the Haas effect nicely in this..,
liking that vocal sound, it adds lots to the atmosphere
#3August 30th, 2012 · 02:22 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nice feel.
Like the sound of Drums and Bass.
There is a huge gap in the middle Guitar vox, more so on vox
Are you deliberately creating an OLD 78 vocal sound? - if so, I'd prefer it in perhaps a small part of the song.
Keyboard sounds flat.

Can you be more specific in where and what you think there is a phase problem.

A little polishing here and there and you have a nice track. 
#4August 30th, 2012 · 02:23 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
The drums have a stereo pair and I thought I caught something not phasing quite right. This is a test of what I might want things to look like before I take it again. I don't mind a little sloppy in my music, but I agree it's a little too lose. It needs to be done a second time.

I'm also debating if the drums should be more complex or if I should do something else entirely different with them, like just use a shaker instead. I'm quite bummed about what to do. More complexity will test my limited proficiency, but that is a chance to learn and improve  Looking for ideas with those drums, if anyone has any ideas.

hmm. now I'm wondering if the bass is too complex as well.

I don't think my setup can do a haas effect. I'll have to look into this. That would help with the key-sound - a selected vibrafone.

Thanks for the input.
#5August 30th, 2012 · 03:05 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Soni wrote…
The drums have a stereo pair and I thought I caught something not phasing quite right. This is a test of what I might want things to look like before I take it again. I don't mind a little sloppy in my music, but I agree it's a little too lose. It needs to be done a second time.

I'm also debating if the drums should be more complex or if I should do something else entirely different with them, like just use a shaker instead. I'm quite bummed about what to do. More complexity will test my limited proficiency, but that is a chance to learn and improve  Looking for ideas with those drums, if anyone has any ideas.

hmm. now I'm wondering if the bass is too complex as well.

I don't think my setup can do a haas effect. I'll have to look into this. That would help with the key-sound - a selected vibrafone.

Thanks for the input.

If it's a phasing issue one mic will cancel out, it sound OK in the mix, best to solo the overheads, if you can't hear a stereo field then there is indeed a phasing problem - I think it's highly unlikely. How do you have them positioned? - most of the time they are positioned about left and right of the kit at about 45 degree angle of each other, you can even use the XY set-up - google it and see various set-ups - I assume you are using pencil type condensers?

You can apply the haas effect on any mono signal - here is a YouTube tutorial I posted recently

I like the Bass & Drums, keep it the same IMO
#6August 30th, 2012 · 04:24 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
I'm using two Oktava 219s http://www.oktava-online.com/mk219.htm for my pair on the drums. The dums are in a corner - space requirement - and the mics are just about 90 degrees near the walls. So, if the kick is facing the drums, you think I should pull them out to 45 behind me when I'm playing?

I guess I was imagining the phase. Thanks for the input.

I'm using garage band, which I don't think allows for the Haas effect, I might be able to pull it off in one of the effect plugins. I need to look into it.

I tried a freeware editing software, but couldn't figure out how to use the sounds or the midi. I learned to edit in college on pro-tools, but if I want to use the keys I'm lost. 

The voice is on an ancient Telefunken that is so bright I actually had to eq most of the high end down - because the fricatives were so grating, and they competed with the high hat.

I just like the sound of that mic for things like this.

Thanks again for the help.
#7August 31st, 2012 · 05:44 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Thatīs some nice chord progressions and a smooth, warm guitar sound. And the "telephone" sound on the vox creates a certain "40s"-feeling to me. Black & white movies, a smokey bar, dancing lovers........

Two things I noticed :
- bass could be a wee bit more prominent, fundamental........not too much
- guit-solo is a bit, sorry, weak / lame. It should give this wonderful song the "final sparkle / shine".

About phasing probs : I didnīt notice any negative effects on this matter.
All in all I like this song much..........itīs so different.....................special

U.L.I.
#8August 31st, 2012 · 09:47 AM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Thank you, thank you, ULI.

Right about the solo. Glad you said it, I think I'm gonna restructure this piece.
#9August 31st, 2012 · 01:05 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Nice song.
The radio effect is cool, but I do think it could have widened or come closer when the ride snare starts.
The Haas video is excellent ... Denis is so cool!  That's probably the width and presence the vocal needs
I do feel you still need to find the rhythm in the words ... some you sing in a sing-a-long, looking for it kind of way.
Yes, good song ... you need to get to know it ... so yea it just sounds like your going through a bad phase!
#10August 31st, 2012 · 01:57 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
kings wrote…
Nice song.
The radio effect is cool, but I do think it could have widened or come closer when the ride snare starts.
The Haas video is excellent ... Denis is so cool!  That's probably the width and presence the vocal needs
I do feel you still need to find the rhythm in the words ... some you sing in a sing-a-long, looking for it kind of way.
Yes, good song ... you need to get to know it ... so yea it just sounds like your going through a bad phase!

Thanks for the input. If you don't mind my asking, are you suggesting that I make it more sing-a-long? I was going for a counter rhythm in parts, but less is more, so perhaps it is too much. Maybe I should stick with the way I wrote it.

It's funny, re your comment about needing to know it more. I believe my problem is that I am over thinking it, and it is complicating the song and I should get back to basics.

Thanks again.
#11August 31st, 2012 · 03:40 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Soni wrote…
I'm using two Oktava 219s http://www.oktava-online.com/mk219.htm for my pair on the drums. The dums are in a corner - space requirement - and the mics are just about 90 degrees near the walls. So, if the kick is facing the drums, you think I should pull them out to 45 behind me when I'm playing?

I guess I was imagining the phase. Thanks for the input.

I'm using garage band, which I don't think allows for the Haas effect, I might be able to pull it off in one of the effect plugins. I need to look into it.

I tried a freeware editing software, but couldn't figure out how to use the sounds or the midi. I learned to edit in college on pro-tools, but if I want to use the keys I'm lost. 

The voice is on an ancient Telefunken that is so bright I actually had to eq most of the high end down - because the fricatives were so grating, and they competed with the high hat.

I just like the sound of that mic for things like this.

Thanks again for the help.

Here's some good basic Drum mic techiniques
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mmMBCOM/html/akg/miking_the_drums.pdf

For the Haas effect you only need to be able to duplicate a mono track, pan them left and right, then finally move one of the tracks anywhere between 3 - 6ms.  You must be able to do this in garage band somehow, it's very basic stuff.

At the end of the day this is your composition, if you like how it sounds leave it.  You should only change something if you don't like it.  everyone has different tastes,  I've told you mine and others have told you there's, perhaps some of the suggestion will appeal to you.
#12September 4th, 2012 · 05:34 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Found the how in Garage band, (for anyone else wanting to know) on getting the Haas effect.

There is an effect called AU Sample Delay.

I have not looked up the time length of a sample. but I found some nice shifting between 100 and 200 samples.

I will try putting the mics over my head at the 45 angle. That's not what they taught me at college and I am interested in giving that a try.

Working on redoing this song. Maybe it will be better.

Thanks again, everyone.
#13September 7th, 2012 · 03:58 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
This is really really cool I like the old style feel of it like many people have said. The lo-fi sound works great for this. Thanks to Denis I've been experimenting with the haas effect too :P

Don't give up on this. It sounds really good and if you find yourself in a good enough mood to twiddle with it then I think you'll be even more happy! There are tons of times where I am recording something and I feel like I have to change everything. Drums too complicated...bass too simple...and if you keep listening to those thoughts pretty soon you'll just hate the whole song and that will not add to the creating process! :P

so yeah man I really like this!
#14September 7th, 2012 · 11:39 AM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, and caution. And well placed caution at that. I've redone this song five times since I posted it here. I'm learning lots, but at times I get sick to my stomach.

I'm driving it more towards the old sound, and kind of wishing I could play the ukelele.

Caio
#15September 9th, 2012 · 07:44 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
Hi Soni
This is a very cool tune  nice and smokey & not having any issues with phasing .either  The instruments have a classic lo fi tone and the vox has that 78 sound .Kinda perfect in is simplicity  Interesting to see where you take it beautiful journey music .Thanks for sharing

1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 8:58 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.