#1August 29th, 2012 · 12:39 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Forget Final (first mix)

This song is not in a battle

Hey guys so I've been working hard at trying to record actual good quality final versions of all of my songs and this is the first song I've started working on. I've got all the tracks recorded and have been messing around with the mix and I wanted to see what you guys thought and any tips I could use for the mix to make it sound even better? What do you think?

My plan is to record a music video for this (and each subsequent song) and put them on youtube! So yeah let me know what you think could be adjusted in the mix.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 29th, 2012 · 02:43 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Great improvement in audio quality compared to your previous recordings.

Plus points: The mix levels are good, EQ good, Vocals best I've heard from you, acoustic guitar nice, Like how you introduce the drums and backing vox (but needs a bit more, harmonise or similar, oohs aahs)

I don't suppose you have sufficient mics for the drums - You could get away with two overheads and one for the Bass drum.
It needs bass guitar when the drums come in.
The piano sound is a bit week and there are timing issues - Do you have any Piano VST's you can try?
The electric guitar sounds a bit week, what are you putting it through?

Overall a significant improvement, especially your vocals, which for this song is the most important.

If there is one tip I can give you is to work on the quality of the raw sound - get that right then you're 75% there.

Well done 
#3August 30th, 2012 · 01:14 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Thanks for listening! Yeah I have 3 mics I can use, one of them has no stand so its a challenge getting it in the right place. I used all three for this one. One pointed at the bass drum, one at the snare, and the one with no stand I tried to get as 'overhead' as possible. I'll try two overheads next time.
There is bass guitar there when the drums come in, but if you didn't notice it maybe I need to turn that up/adjust some EQ with it as well.
I'm also going to adjust the backing vox and hopefully make them sound fuller or something.

I see what you mean about the piano sound, and as for timing issues I'm trying to correct those by dragging the track around but if its still a little off I'll try to adjust it some more. Piano VST's - is that like a piano played on the computer or an effect you add to an exisiting recorded track?

The electric guitar I'm just running through a RAT distortion and an mxr phase 90, then out my amp and I was micing it. But it sounds weak too, so I'm going to try to thicken that up.

I'm really happy that you can see the improvement though because I've been working on it a lot! Thanks so much!
I'll continue mixing away! 
#4August 30th, 2012 · 10:44 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
i like it, there is a whole group or genre you might call it that are into the lowfi sound. This reminds me of some of them (they are done professionally to sound like that).  Are you playing the drums.. some very decent fills and accents with the drums.. one cymbal at the end kind of punches through. not much you can do though when just using three mics..  you have to concentrate on getting the best sound overall .. I think you did that.  

decent mix.
#5August 31st, 2012 · 06:18 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
You´re making another step forwards, Craig.
The keys´s matching your voice here, your chant is no struggle this time. And that gives ya vox a pleasant timbre / expression. But in parts you could sing with a bit more self confidence.
The idea of harmony vox is good, but try to mix it more coherently, give it a tight "texture".
In principle I also like the piano hook. Perhaps some variations might be nice.
Also good is using the e-git to raise the dramatury. 
An idea for this "power-part": How about adding with every line " I can watch you fade away" one more vox layer ? 

Ok, that´s my 2 cents.....................courious about the 2. version

U.L.I.
#6August 31st, 2012 · 01:19 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Your a funking star ... it makes little difference what you do as long as you do it.
And the more you do ... anything that is, the better you'll get ... love your energy
Very nice song, gave me a Morrissey feel, not the sombre Morressey but the music and tones in the vocal, the soul returns.
As for you production, it's clearer and fuller then ever ... very listenable
More good bananas
#7August 31st, 2012 · 03:57 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
Thanks for listening! Yeah I have 3 mics I can use, one of them has no stand so its a challenge getting it in the right place. I used all three for this one. One pointed at the bass drum, one at the snare, and the one with no stand I tried to get as 'overhead' as possible. I'll try two overheads next time.
There is bass guitar there when the drums come in, but if you didn't notice it maybe I need to turn that up/adjust some EQ with it as well.
I'm also going to adjust the backing vox and hopefully make them sound fuller or something.

I see what you mean about the piano sound, and as for timing issues I'm trying to correct those by dragging the track around but if its still a little off I'll try to adjust it some more. Piano VST's - is that like a piano played on the computer or an effect you add to an exisiting recorded track?

The electric guitar I'm just running through a RAT distortion and an mxr phase 90, then out my amp and I was micing it. But it sounds weak too, so I'm going to try to thicken that up.

I'm really happy that you can see the improvement though because I've been working on it a lot! Thanks so much!
I'll continue mixing away!  :D

VST's virtual instruments - You'll need either a midi controller USB keyboard, or midi your existing keyboard to an audio interhace with midi, or get a USB Midi interface and connect it to the midi outputs on your keyboard. Then you need the software - What software are you using, what DAW. I use Cubase 5 it it come with loads of VST's - Just google it, there are thousands.  Finally depending on which way you go you'll have to set-it up on your DAW.  I recently purchased a Behringer Midi controller USB keyboard for about £120.00 - You just plug and play - easy peazy.

#8September 2nd, 2012 · 02:43 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
@toastedgoat - Thanks so much man! Yeah its me playing drums, as well as all the other instruments. I've been tweaking the mix even as we speak so hopefully I can get it a bit better.

@ULI - I have been practicing like crazy with the singing and adjusting keys so I do hope its getting slightly better. as far as singing with more confidence, I'm not really sure what you mean. many people have told me that, especially in the past, but I recorded these tracks with no one else home, it was just me, and I didn't feel nervous and all and I was just belting it out with as much feeling as I could! Maybe it just takes more practice to start sounding more confident?
I see what you mean with the harmony vox. I think I've mixed it accordingly (i hope.) :P
Adding another vox later! brilliant! that'll make it more punchy I think! thanks so much!

@kings - lol! I like that principle kings :P AH! I love morrissey! Thanks for that compliment I also like bananas.

@Denis - AHA! very much appreciated denis, I will look into it I'm using a program called "Reaper".
#9September 4th, 2012 · 03:12 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
@toastedgoat - Thanks so much man! Yeah its me playing drums, as well as all the other instruments. I've been tweaking the mix even as we speak so hopefully I can get it a bit better.

@ULI - I have been practicing like crazy with the singing and adjusting keys so I do hope its getting slightly better. as far as singing with more confidence, I'm not really sure what you mean. many people have told me that, especially in the past, but I recorded these tracks with no one else home, it was just me, and I didn't feel nervous and all and I was just belting it out with as much feeling as I could! Maybe it just takes more practice to start sounding more confident?
I see what you mean with the harmony vox. I think I've mixed it accordingly (i hope.) :P
Adding another vox later! brilliant! that'll make it more punchy I think! thanks so much!

@kings - lol! I like that principle kings :P AH! I love morrissey! Thanks for that compliment I also like bananas.

@Denis - AHA! very much appreciated denis, I will look into it I'm using a program called "Reaper".

Reaper VST tutorial

#10September 4th, 2012 · 06:02 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
I listened to this with headphones.

I dig this song. And I really loved the low-fi three mic setup with the drums, in the first part.
That worked really well for me.

Uhm... was that a cowbell? Awesome! It needs more cowbell. Seriously. That is where you put in a stereo pair overhead. It's a different feel to this second part (which is also great), so you would have to re-record that part over.

The problem is, when you get into more mics then you have to look at your board and it gets tricky from there.

I'm good with everything in the mix except the background vocals, they are too loud. Bring 'em down in the mix, if they feel intelligible then you could narrow the eq band to around 1000k.
It's fine if you can't still understand them perfectly clear the first time, you repeat it over and over, and then the lead vox says it coming out of that part.

Hope this helps
#11September 6th, 2012 · 01:11 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Denis: AWESOME. those videos were super helpful man thank you a ton!

Thank you SO much for listening and reviewing this Soni!

I'm really happy you enjoyed it. I've just done a final mix on it that I think I'm happy with and I'm going to upload it. I think its the best sound I've got from it so far. I've adjusted the background vocals like you said

Also, you are like the 6th person to ask if I had a cowbell!! I don't even own a cowbell! I don't know what sounds like a cowbell in the song, but if something accidentally does...then all the more power to it right? lol! I really want to get a cowbell though...oh man.....that'd be awesome.

Thanks so much
#12September 6th, 2012 · 08:03 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
That is so funny about the cowbell. Maybe it's where you hit the high hat.

This is the re-mixed version you said you were going to upload, and have that posted above, right?
Because when I listen to this today I think the backup vocals are great. So either I'm nuts or you fixed it.  

Now, for a bit more back patting.
This song is so fun to listen to. Here's why. First, the message is not direct, and this allows me to place my own interpretation on it. That is always a powerful force in creation.
FYI, for me this is about Alzheimer's. Which makes it really heavy. But because you don't come right out and say it, there are other possibilities abound, who's in the photo - who is laughing. It's all so interesting.

Next, anytime a song ends and then another part shows up at the end, it's just great.
I'd call this Bowie-esque.

Caio
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 11:46 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.