#1August 8th, 2012 · 09:03 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Medeloneon

This song is not in a battle

For what it’s worth this is my Olympic song – I wrote it during the 2012 Olympics.  I would still like to add Alto Sax, But the Mrs and one of my daughters are at home on holiday, hence the Sax is too loud - I will have a go in a couple of weeks when I get the house to myself.
I recently commented on ‘The haas effect’ in two threads whereby you create a stereo field form two identical mono tracks - I used this method for everything except Drums and Bass, it really fills out the sound IMO.
TK is always trying to encourage me to work on my timing, so this here song with many staccato notes made me work hard, plus also there are many parts where all the instruments are in unison - I know it’s not perfect, but never-the-less I’m pleased with my performance.
For your information this is the set-up:
RHYTHM GUITAR - Fender USA Strat – Rhythm pick-up, Line 6 pod MessaBoggie Amp module
LEAD GUITAR – Rally Blue Harlem Archtop – Rhythm pick-up, Line 6 Pod Fender Bassman Amp module
BASS GUITAR – Ibanez SR-500 – DI’d through focusrite Firewire audio interface, Guitar Rig Bass Amp Module, Nomad Studio Channel SC-226 pre-amp plug-in (I use this for everything, fantastic realistic full warm sound)
SYNTH – Roland JV 1080 –The patch was appropriately called Do’s
DRUMS – Ezdrummer – Funkmaster clyde kit – Groove monkey pre-set rhythms, but I added some of my own accents and beats.
REVERB – Lexicom Small Hall Plug-in - This is the best reverb plug-in I’ve used; it keeps the raw sound in tacked making the sound solid and full.

Recorded with Cubase 5, edited in Adobe audition plus limiter

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 8th, 2012 · 12:59 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
real nice and tight, especially liking the rhythm guitars, so nice to hear the different sounds of the guitars.
Maybe one day I'd like to buy a Gibson (or a cheaper equivalent) just for that,
Everything else christal clear and spot on.
What time you set the Haas effect with? I seem to use it shorter as I did before, around .15 to .20 where i was teached to use .30
#3August 8th, 2012 · 01:43 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
This is finally a track w/o timing issues. Great composition. Gives me a good vibe.
I'd like to hear a Rhodes behind the guitar solo. So sad that my recording stuff is not ready to work.....
#4August 8th, 2012 · 05:04 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
real nice and tight, especially liking the rhythm guitars, so nice to hear the different sounds of the guitars.
Maybe one day I'd like to buy a Gibson (or a cheaper equivalent) just for that,
Everything else christal clear and spot on.
What time you set the Haas effect with? I seem to use it shorter as I did before, around .15 to .20 where i was teached to use .30

Haas set to 6ms in this particular song, it depends on what effect you want. Every composition is different, depends of the tempo, etc - Trust your ears is the best way, try different settings in the actual mix rather than solo, I'm sure you will find the correct setting 
My Archtop is actually made in the Epiphone factory, beautiful guitar, well made and great tone. I've got an Epi Les Paul with Seymour Duncan pick ups,  sometimes known as their 35th Anniversary edition, but they are also known as SH-4 JB (bridge) and SH-2n (Neck) - the idea is that you get a nice blues/jazz tone on the Neck PU and a hot bright tone on the Bridge, giving you versatility - The standard stock ones that they come with are know to be a bit muddy, the difference in tone is superb, I love the bridge pick for Jazz and blues. The pick-ups a about £150 with covers, but you can get them without covers for less. SD website is cool, it asks you what guitar you have and the tonewoods, then recommends the best picks with sound samples - SUPERB quality pickups.
#5August 8th, 2012 · 05:06 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
This is finally a track w/o timing issues. Great composition. Gives me a good vibe.
I'd like to hear a Rhodes behind the guitar solo. So sad that my recording stuff is not ready to work.....
Hoooray I''m improving - Let me know when you are set up again - I was thinking of Rhodes too.
#6August 10th, 2012 · 03:18 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
This is a real proper production. Everything´s at its place. All instruments are clear, transparent and warm.
Gits sound pretty jazzy, bass crisp, strong without booming.
Thumbs up, man. Gold medal for bandamp´s "blue-note-king".  

U.L.I.
#7August 14th, 2012 · 06:38 AM
7 threads / 7 songs
23 posts
Germany
Very warm and jazzy - I like that alot!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 12:33 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.