#1August 7th, 2012 · 03:37 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
New Mandolin

This song is not in a battle

Bought a Mandolin, arrived this morning, I was surprised how quick I took to it and recorded this - I used the set of strings that came with it, normally cheap gear comes with crap strings, but I'm no expert on Mandolins and this one has a spruce top whereas I've seen similar ones like the stagg which is Basswood I think, I was lucky I won this on an auction from a Ebay music shop, the buy it now price is around £120.00, I won the auction for £54.00 and it came with a nice wooden case...RESULT -  all I know is it's a fun instrument to play, took a while to find out the best way to hold it, my fat belly helped.
I recorded through a stereo pair of pencil condensers, but I think it might sound smoother through a ribbon mic..
This was a little present to myself from doing some basic decorating to my home - Now I can have some fun.

Here she is:

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 7th, 2012 · 10:52 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Wow what a steal!  Loving the recording too!  Very clean!  How does it feel to play it?
#3August 8th, 2012 · 01:10 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE !!

Denis buys an instrument without any experience to play and -schwuppdiwupp- he records a celtic ditty without mistakes. Clean, clear, full and loud.

UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE !!

PS:  why did you delete your olympic song you´ve uploaded recently?
#4August 8th, 2012 · 01:27 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
UndercoverApple wrote…
Wow what a steal!  Loving the recording too!  Very clean!  How does it feel to play it?
It took me a while to figure how to hold as the headstock being top heavy means you have some how support the body with either your arm or lay it on your lap at a certain angle.  I've seen a few pros who use a strap, which probably is the best way.  The fretting took a while as I'm used to the wider frets on a guitar.  I first learned the major scale then stumbled upon a minor 6 scale in this hear song, hence it has a Celtic kinda feel, seems to work lovely with the Mandolin.  Yeah it feels nice once you get a flow in your playing.
#5August 8th, 2012 · 01:39 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE !!

Denis buys an instrument without any experience to play and -schwuppdiwupp- he records a celtic ditty without mistakes. Clean, clear, full and loud.

UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE !!

PS:  why did you delete your olympic song you´ve uploaded recently?
There are a few mistakes, but you can get away with it the Mandolin, timing a little shakey, but I did not use a metronome.
Re: Olympic song, I later listened to it at higher volume shortly after uploading it, did not like the sound of the Bass guitar, sounded too thin, but I have re-mixed it using an additional tube plugin, and it sounds much better.  I'll upload it later today, I'm not at my PC at the moment, plus I thought I may wait and upload a version with Alto Sax - I need an empty house to do that -  Sax too loud), hence my wife and one of my daughters are off work. 
#6August 8th, 2012 · 08:48 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
O! O! Mr Peevly !  ...

Now this is exciting ... I immediately want to shout 'Lay a track down for me'
   .... it's just such a beautiful instrument
Seriously will be listening for something for me to get my teeth into    
#7August 8th, 2012 · 02:15 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
the sounded instantly reminded me to REM (losing my religion)
lovely instrument!
#8September 14th, 2012 · 09:59 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Luv it Denis...Sounds awesome my friend!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 11:20 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.