#1August 1st, 2012 · 02:07 PM
6 threads / 4 songs
25 posts
Lithuania
Instrumental mix test

This song is not in a battle

Here, I finally have a sound that I find decent. Atleast for now, ofcourse.
I am currently writing an instrumental track and I plan to finish it until september, will probably make a video, too, but I got a little tired of it and just recorded this idea on the spot. Tell me what you think and comment on my mix!
Also, you can check out my previous instrumental track for comparison here:
www.youtube.com/yearsbecomedays
The Prism was recorded with a cheap dynamic mic and this test was recorded with Digitech's GSP 1101, I think there's a huge difference. Anyways, hope you'll dig this.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 1st, 2012 · 04:54 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Sounds nice - interested where you're gonna take this - I sense variation.
I'd like to hear the drums slighlty more up-front.
What is a prism?
#3August 1st, 2012 · 05:06 PM
6 threads / 4 songs
25 posts
Lithuania
Hey, thanks for the reply!
Do you mean turning the overall drum volume up or just some stuff like snare and kick drums?
Oh, The Prism, that's the name of my previous instrumental, it's on that youtube channel in the description!
#4August 1st, 2012 · 06:22 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Listened to both track there's definitely been an improvement in overall sound.

Especially enjoyed the clean guitars!  The percussion really drove the track and it really gave whatever imagery that came to mind a slow perspective, like as if I was moving through scenery in slow motion.

Great drums, great guitars!
#5August 2nd, 2012 · 03:18 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Martis93 wrote…
Hey, thanks for the reply!
Do you mean turning the overall drum volume up or just some stuff like snare and kick drums?
Oh, The Prism, that's the name of my previous instrumental, it's on that youtube channel in the description!
It depends how you mixed the drums. If you added any room mics or reverb, you could simply reduce the level to make them sound more closer,  reverb creates depth where the sound is coming from.  If on the other hand the drums are as dry as you can get them, raise the volume - it is only a small amount, just to make them easy to listen to.  It can also be the sound of the rest of the mix, bass frequencies use a lot of headroom, so make sure you cut them where appropriate.  I use pre-sets for bass guitar, from
memory bass guitar roll off is about from 60hz - don't quote me on that, as I'll always experiment to see what sounds best.
#6August 2nd, 2012 · 03:45 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I listened to 'Prism' the drums sound up-front. You obviously have a good ear for mixing - I'm sure the finished version of this new instrumental will sound great.
#7August 2nd, 2012 · 04:40 AM
6 threads / 4 songs
25 posts
Lithuania
UndercoverApple - thanks for you input! I wasn't doing it on purpose, but when you said it, it really does give that moving feeling.
Denis - the drums were done with Superior 2.0, I think I left all the mixing on default settings but I was looking for tighter sounding drums, I just didn't know how to do that, now it all makes sense, thanks! And about my mixing, thanks for the compliment. For as long as I can remember, since day 1 when I registered on BandAmp, you always find something good to say about whatever track anyone has on. I always know that even if nobody comments on my track, sooner or later Denis will write something about it. It's really inspiring!
#8August 2nd, 2012 · 05:07 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Real great riff. Distorted sound is great. Love it.
Think Denis gave the right input, indeed he's one of the great BandAmp Inspirators!
Actually the whole site seems to be more alive lately, which I find good thing !
So keep 'm coming !
#9August 2nd, 2012 · 05:14 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Martis93 wrote…
UndercoverApple - thanks for you input! I wasn't doing it on purpose, but when you said it, it really does give that moving feeling.
Denis - the drums were done with Superior 2.0, I think I left all the mixing on default settings but I was looking for tighter sounding drums, I just didn't know how to do that, now it all makes sense, thanks! And about my mixing, thanks for the compliment. For as long as I can remember, since day 1 when I registered on BandAmp, you always find something good to say about whatever track anyone has on. I always know that even if nobody comments on my track, sooner or later Denis will write something about it. It's really inspiring!
I use Ezdrummer via Cubase, I assume it has a similar mixer to Superior Drummer?. The best was to mix the drums is to set-up 'Multichannel' through the mixer on the software and on your DAW. In this is way you have total control on all the drum mics. There are some YouTube videos to teach you. One thing I recently learned is that you have to very careful with compression with drums, like for instance the Bass Drum, too much or even a little compression can take the air sound away, meaning it sounds clinical, rather than real/organic, which personally is important to me. It depends on the sound you want to create.
#10August 3rd, 2012 · 01:04 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Love this...The changes are just awesome....Im curious as to where you are taking this!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 2nd, 2024 · 8:10 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.