#1August 5th, 2005 · 06:30 AM
21 threads / 21 songs
72 posts
Germany
Slaves of our Minds

This song is not in a battle

I'm not really lucky in handling relationships. This is song about a gone love, lonesomness, and time.

I will post the lyrics later,  and it took me a few weeks to finish the song, so there arn't still no drumms - sorry hope you like it a bit anyway

All my tears fell down to the ground
and every flower died to hidden sound...

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 5th, 2005 · 07:35 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
hey man.

this is a great start!  the high guitar note kind of cuts through a bit though.  if you could either give it some fret-sliding up and down so that it's got more than one pitch to it, that'd be awesome

i like the slight waspy filter over the vocal.  the melody is good to, though i'd think it'd be awesome to hear some more higher notes come out, so that it gets some more variation a little sooner in the song.  it's still really good though.  i completely respect the song you've got, as i do the same many times.

yeah, and drums suck.  but you don't.  i think with some more feeling put behind some lines, (like at 4:15 or something on the "i need you so much" part) then you'd have a winner.

maybe turn the vocal a little higher?  maybe it's just the positioning of my speakers.

you may wanna try a compressor filter on the vocal.  not too much, but enough to sorta boost up the lower tones to make them clearer

yeah, i defeintely likes the melody though.  you're all over that.  just make the vocal a bit more solid and i'd listen to this a lot!

i love those lines you put at the bottom of the post.  full of imagery.  and with that, i leave you:  (it's cool to say)

All my tears fell down to the ground
and every flower died to hidden sound...
#3August 5th, 2005 · 08:15 AM
18 posts
United States of America
mix
This could be a lot better with better mixing.  In the beginning, I like the background rythm g-tar better than the lead part but can barely hear it.  Same for your vox they are hard to hear over the lead guitar.  Also...are you using new strings cuz the lead guitar seems to start going out of tune a bit at some points

Right at like 2:59 to 3:30 you kicked butt...your vox hit the notes much better and the layered g-tars rock

I look forward to a finished version...w/ or w/out drums...

peace
#4August 5th, 2005 · 09:02 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Chilled song, I like the melody and backing you have going on with the vocals! I listened to this twice in a row, in fact.

The thing that lets it down is that the mix is a mess. I would suggest listening to some commercial tracks that you think sound 'right', and use that as a basic guideline for your levels, as well as the sounds and stereo positioning of the different elements.

**You probably know most of this already**, but just a few pointers:

Vocals need some compression and eq for clarity to help them sit better in the mix. Toy around with some decent reverb plugins and maybe experiment with some 'double tracking' for the chorus along with some harmonies. Double tracking if you aren't aware is simply recording the same part twice but panning them to either side of the stereo soundscape to give a fuller sound. Alternatively, you can simulate this via ADT (Automatic double tracking) by copying and pasting the same part into a second track. Pan them equally to opposite sides, then apply a 1ms delay to one of the them. 1ms works most subtly but consider increasing it if you want a more 'spacious' sound.

Guitars could do with being panned further to the sides to define them in the mix. They also need to be eq'd for clarity to remove 'boxiness' and rumble, and compressed to, again, help them sit in the mix. I'd recommend keeping a little reverb on the guitars to fit with the vibe you have in this song. A golden rule for eq'ing anything is that it is better to take away frequencies that you don't want than to simply boost everything that you want to preserve. That way you create a clearer mix and preserve more dynamic range.

Bass needs compression with a high ratio (eg a Limiter) and eq for clarity too. Currently it is too boomy and lacks definition. Reverb (if needed) should be kept subtle to prevent rumble.

To eliminate rumbling bass from other elements of the mix, I'd suggest curving off the bass below 60hz for anything that doesn't need it.

When all this is done you need to make sure that everything has it's own 'piece' of the mix. Compression keeps the levels in check but you must make sure that not only is every element eq'd to sound nice by itself, but also that it is not sharing too much of the same frequencies of other parts. For instance, don't have the same EQ range boosted on your vocals as on a guitar part. This will help create a clear mix.

Finally, when all your levels and eq work is done, and the mix is sitting quite happily with a little compression (not too much you don't wanna crush the dynamics of your song)...now you want to move to the mastering stage.

Mastering is the journey from mixdown to a CD that you buy in your local store. You can apply to the stereo output/master channel, for instance:

Noise Filter - Such as Steinberg DeNoiser - removes unwanted noise that may have built up through several recorded tracks

Multiband EQ - Remove any unwanted frequencies that are pestering the balance of your mix...or boost something that you think is not quite cutting through enough

Multiband Harmonic Exciter - This can add some 'sparkle' to certain elements of your mix, but easy to overuse!

Multiband Stereo Widening - Add some additional depth and stereo space to the mix

Mastering Reverb - Some tracks are best kept 'dry', but a little room ambience can add depth and greater immersion to some mixes

Multiband Compression/Limiting - Very important - balances the overall volume levels of the mix to give a 'punchier' sound. Be careful with this one!

Loudness Maximiser - You will want to boost the track so that the loudest parts are just hitting 0db, and the highest peaks are just kept in control by the...

Peak Controller - If your compressor is still letting a few peaks through, then this will stop them damaging the ears of your audience! Cymbal transients and snare drum hits are examples of this.

Of course, there is much more to mastering and alot more things you can try. Mastering is as much about experience and following your ears as the equipment you are using. This is just a rough guide. If you serious about making great sounding tracks, I strongly recommend Izotope Ozone, which incorporates most of these elements and has plenty of presets to start you off. I use this in conjunction with lots of other plugins to finish off my mixes.

OMG I just wrote you a novel. Sorry man...I'm chatting to someone on the phone as I type this and it kinda got out of control. I hope its of use and I look forward to hearing more 'cos this track was pretty hot
#5August 5th, 2005 · 09:16 AM
21 threads / 21 songs
72 posts
Germany
Thanks a lot!
I really surprised by all the feedback i get and I'm really happy about it. I posted some other songs  on a German site called mp3.de but  there was almost no feedback.
in fact i need the critics because as you can hear i don't have a lot of experience with recording. I bought a portable Boss studio a year ago and that's it.. i try my best but i know that I've got a lack of knowledge. (to Dave: Didn't knew these things thanks!)
so i hope with your hints i can improve a bit... and I'll take some sing lessons for sure
#6August 25th, 2005 · 09:44 AM
4 posts
Canada
its way kool
itz s0o0o kool i rather like it  
#7August 31st, 2005 · 04:52 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Hey, Amused
I see you added this song later and I hope you saw my apology on your other song. I like the feel of this song. But I couldn't hear the vocals that great so I can't tell you about the lyrics. The two lines you posted, though, makes me think the lyrics are better.

What I did hear on the vocals was sometimes off key. Watch your pitch, I can tell, you know how to sing on key, but you need more power. By that I don't mean you need to sing louder. I mean, you should take deeper breaths from you diaphram (the bottom of your stomach), that will help your pitch. Your voice sounds young too, vocal power comes with practice. I see you are a very nice young man and willing to learn and grow. I find it very endearing.
I admire you writing songs in English, I took four years of French and lived in France for a short while and I would never be able to write in French.
But, if you've written a song in German I'd like to hear it. You were probably being sarcastic when you said you were sorry you didn't live in an English speaking country. But, there's nothing wrong with being yourself.
#8July 10th, 2006 · 12:44 PM
1 threads
42 posts
Mexico
it is good,you need some vocals work, but you have the feeling, some guy tell you step by step what you need to do, and you now.
and those words are very sugestive, can you put the lyrics here,please....  
#9July 10th, 2006 · 06:08 PM
7 threads / 7 songs
37 posts
United States of America
I think that after you clean it up a bit and get the mix a little better this will be a very good song.   Good job!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 7:01 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.