#1July 29th, 2012 · 01:05 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
The Door Maker

This song is not in a battle

This is song 3 of 3 from our upcoming EP.  I was really inspired after talking with a friend about opportunities.  She was down on her luck and she felt that sometimes opportunities and fate are too slow to knock.  This clicked in my head and I told her "Well, maybe you can change that.  Maybe you just need more doors." 

The Door Maker is about a guy who finds himself slaving away every day constructing doors.  He'll wake up and start his routine.  If he had more doors, will he get more opportunities in life?  He's fighting his own fate and creating his own luck.

This track is a lot different from a lot of things I've written for Emie and is the only track on the EP where I'm singing.  I'm a huge fan of video game music and 8bit synths so I felt that this track was my playground to have fun with all the things I enjoy.  It's a strange combination for some I'll admit but maybe you'll enjoy it too

[The Door Maker]

6AM time to get up again
These trees won't cut themselves
Morning mist, I'll give the fog a kiss
In the hopes I'll be more than myself

Work until the Sun sleeps
And the moon is wide awake
Cheering on my laterns glow
From a thousand miles away

I'll never be the same

I've built a thousand doors
And I'll build a thousand more

Some are large and some so small
Shapes and colors, I've made them all
Waiting for the turning of the knob

Custom wood work etched and scribed
My heart and soul are sealed inside
So give this opportunity a knock

A hardened grip swung from the hip
This handle tells a tale
Of undying faith, rectangled pace
How knots untangle with each exhale

Work until the Sun sets
And the moon is shining white
A million choices chosen
Are they wrong or are they right

The future's out of sight

I've built a thousand doors
And I'll build a thousand more

Custom wood work etch
ed and scribed

Bathed in orange candle light
Draped beneath a velvet sky
I had a heart as gray as stone
Held my breath 'til I was blue in tone

Read through every book I found
Paperback and leather bound
Every page it turned the same
Each turn a chance a change
What I became

Custom wood work etched and scribed

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2July 30th, 2012 · 02:34 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Great chorus, the instrumentation works well.
Would be cool if you could create a real life video to the music.
#3July 30th, 2012 · 02:47 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Dude this is flipping awesome I love you guys!!!!!! All in all this sounds like a fantastic EP I can't wait to hear your future EPs. This is really well done. And I like that you sing in this one. I think it's cool if you guys can trade off. and I love the '8-bit' sounds and stuff. So cool 
#4July 30th, 2012 · 02:32 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
85 posts
United Kingdom
It's like a speeded up soundtrack to an epic game of Tetris... lol... seriously tho... I like it. A little less commercial which is probably why. I can really feel your creativity shining through with this sort of no holds barred musical journey. I like the lyrics to this alot. You've got a way with words. Have you studied English? 
You're voice reminds me of deathcab for cutie... but defiantly not the music... that's incomparable (for me) 
#5July 30th, 2012 · 06:31 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Ha! I also make doors ... and windows ... frames too if you want ..... any shape or size ... bog standard or carved with petals.
But I dont make such excellent music.

You did that in the last one I listened to .... had a bit of a "this is me" bash at the end.

What a 'perfect' production .... man and machine in harmony ... enjoying a lot 
Really love the delicate cuts at 3:10
I do think that last bash humanizes it and drives in the last nail. Yet it is in contrast to the main song which is soft and caring, that bashing at the end has a more frustrated edge to it      
#6July 31st, 2012 · 12:33 AM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Once again, thanks for the comments!  This song was definitely fun to work on

Kunadian - I don't think the next EP will have anything like The Door Maker.  It's a bit more minimal (for now) as I'm sequencing the music.  There's definitely a stronger presence of synth/squares on what we're currently doing though so I hope you all will enjoy it just the same.

IanS - LOL Epic Tetris sounds very fun!  I just studied English in school like everyone else here.  I took a creative writing class my senior year and fell asleep through most of it lol.  I'm not sure if this makes sense but I love movies and tv shows with a lot of dialogue.  I think that's why a lot of my poetry is wordy (which could be my downfall at times, just too many words). 

Kings - The ending was really an homage to Ben Cooper of Radical Face.  He loved having a 4 beat kick drum and clapping in all his music.  Maybe we can build a few doors together
#7August 2nd, 2012 · 08:40 AM
6 threads / 4 songs
25 posts
Lithuania
Wow, ofcourse the music is beautiful, but I just can't go without saying that the production sounds amazing! It sounds professional to me. The song reminds me a little of Fireflies by Owl City, but just a little. You should totally make a video with a good camera for this and put it on youtube, you'd get a lot of views!
#8August 3rd, 2012 · 12:56 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Absolutely stunning sound in both the performance and production....IMO very pro and creative!

Edit:
Video would be awesome!
#9August 4th, 2012 · 06:51 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Felt immediatly reminded to pet shop boys.
Must say your composition-, performing-, lyrical- and producing talent is extraordinary. Not much of such young talents out there. Totally impressed.
Normally I don´t like 8-bit stuff or autotune using due to its machinesque, unnatural appearance. (Prolly a question of age, I guess)
But the way you are using it is quite discreet and convenient to me. It stays human, somehow. Perfectly balanced.

I think you´re on a determined path to a successful profesional musician, young genius. 

U.L.I.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 9:03 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.