#1July 17th, 2012 · 05:49 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Blues Shuffle

This song is not in a battle

Purchased a Harmonica 6 days ago, yes you guessed it another new instrument I'm learning. Bashed out this improvised track. LOADS OF FUN

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2July 17th, 2012 · 07:13 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
good to hear your back in shape Denis!
neat production, love the guitars, very tight!
think i'd like the bass bit more upfront..
could be my mons, if i step behind three steps i have much more lo end, but i am standing in the kitchen then :p
And its too late for my big hifi spekaers now.
Are your vox suffering a little bit from holdin for not getting to loud or something? I am not too familiar with your vocal performance but i thought I noticed something like that, its still not bad at all by any way.
actually I am getting used too it now, gets a knopfler sound to it

O yeah, great harmonica playing man! I can remember playing some neil young songs with guitar and bluesharp, loved to do that, maybe need to pick it up again too, not too many notes on 'm 
#3July 18th, 2012 · 01:50 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I tried recording through my tube preamp to give it a vintage sound, may be why it's not transparent. Then again I'm out of practice, so both my performance and production are not as good a I can get. I used a guitar rig 5 preset for the Bass, I normally record the bass via a Line 6 Bass pod, which settings I'm familiar with.
Anyway the main thing for me is I had fun day. You can get away with things on The Harp and let yourself go.
#4July 18th, 2012 · 02:06 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
the main ís that you had fun, and youre back on it!
#5July 18th, 2012 · 02:30 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
the main �s that you had fun, and youre back on it!
I listened to the Bass is the Car and it's OK, not the sound I'd prefer, but I can play around with it since I recorded clean through DI, in fact thinking about it I put it through a tube pre then through my Focusrite audio interface, it may not need any tweaking except may be EQ. Yeah... Back now, I'm slowly getting there, with some practice I can start creating more interesting pieces again.
Oh BTW the Organ was recorded through a Roland JV-1080 synth module (pain in the butt to set-up), really like the sound of that, I just upped the modulation wheel a bit to give that vibrato sound.
#6July 18th, 2012 · 05:01 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Blues Shuffle
Denis wrote…
Purchased a Harmonica 6 days ago, yes you guessed it another new instrument I'm learning. Bashed out this improvised track. LOADS OF FUN :razz:

love this  ..............ebay hit 100%

blue fish
#7July 19th, 2012 · 06:01 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
85 posts
United Kingdom
Love this track. Are there any instruments you can't play. For only having it a few days you sound better than Bob Dylan ever was. 

There were some parts of the song where the harmonica was a little over kill and could have just been used on the fills. Organ sound kicks ass,

I liked it

#8July 20th, 2012 · 01:59 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
IanS wrote…
Love this track. Are there any instruments you can't play. For only having it a few days you sound better than Bob Dylan ever was. 

There were some parts of the song where the harmonica was a little over kill and could have just been used on the fills. Organ sound kicks ass,

I liked it
 :D
This track started out as an experiment, I deliberately muted the lead intruments when I was adding them, just so that a could play along to the rhythm section, hence it's easier when soloing. That's why after the solos it sounds congested in some places. With some more work on the mix I can edit parts out so there is more space in the mix. In actual fact near the end there is a Bass solo, so I would either edit all instruments except drums or reduce the level of all instruments and vox, so that the bass can be heard, but I'm not sure it will flow correctly until I try it. Ideally I should have put the bass solo earlier, but then again this was an improvised track, any change may effect the feel?
#9July 20th, 2012 · 07:17 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
got reminded to Van Morrison 
#10July 20th, 2012 · 10:08 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Great recording and great feel but a bit generic for other than the keys solo and the Denis signature turnaround applied to your more jazzy compositions..Nonetheless elements all there and for sure musicianship is totally above the norm..good show!
#11July 21st, 2012 · 04:28 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
  I can hear the fun you had in every single note. And it infects me.
Gitsolo sound soooo cool ´n´ bluesy. Harp-playing sounds like you´ve never did anything else than teaching "Howlin´Wolf" and Sonny Terry playing the blues harp. 
Organ is spot on, bass growls the groove pretty clear and strong. (I´m listenig on my small cheapo PC speakers). Mix is also clear and loud.

U.L.I.

Oh, btw, which bass did you use here ? Oldie or newie ?
#12July 21st, 2012 · 05:28 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
:D  I can hear the fun you had in every single note. And it infects me.
Gitsolo sound soooo cool �n� bluesy. Harp-playing sounds like you�ve never did anything else than teaching "Howlin�Wolf" and Sonny Terry playing the blues harp. 
Organ is spot on, bass growls the groove pretty clear and strong. (I�m listenig on my small cheapo PC speakers). Mix is also clear and loud.

U.L.I.

Oh, btw, which bass did you use here ? Oldie or newie ?
Used the New Bass, but put it through a Tube pre-Amp, then used a preset on NI Guitar Rig 5, can't remember which one, but it definitely smoothed the tone out. (I'm at work at the moment, so can't check - will do later)
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 10:28 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.