#1May 1st, 2012 · 02:56 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Happy Days

This song is not in a battle

Recorded the Bass via my old Art Tube Pre-AMP > Focusrite Audio Interface > Guitar Rig Bass press-Set.
The guitar is from a recent purchase of a relatively budget Valencia CG195 Classical Guitar - amazing how well my Rode NT5 Stereo pair mics record it - I tried the Multi-Compressor again, and made minor tweaks.
You probably noticed that I recorded the Alto Sax twice.
I was going to add Strings, but I think it may drown out the Guitar too much.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 2nd, 2012 · 04:16 AM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
Your recordings are always amazing. Reaky like the composition aswell. The interplay between the instruments is great. The subtle guitar melodies are like the icing on the cake. Did you play play and record these instruments yourself?
#3May 2nd, 2012 · 07:25 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Jupiler wrote…
Your recordings are always amazing. Reaky like the composition aswell. The interplay between the instruments is great. The subtle guitar melodies are like the icing on the cake. Did you play play and record these instruments yourself?
Thanks Jupiter - Yeah it's all me, all real instuments except the drums, which is EzDrummer software, used jazz pre-sets, with a funky kit, edited some parts 
#4May 2nd, 2012 · 07:30 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I listened to this mix in the car, does the bass sound too thin - it does play well through cheap small speakers, you can hear the bass.  I think that's how many songs thet are mastered for radio play,  in that the upper mids are bossted and bass cut so that it is audible on small speakers.
#5May 2nd, 2012 · 12:22 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
That bass sound is quite awesome....Closely resembles what I would expect a fretless to sound like...Very good quality work..The bass doesn't sound thin in my equipment! Great recording D!
#6May 2nd, 2012 · 12:41 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Marino wrote…
That bass sound is quite awesome....Closely resembles what I would expect a fretless to sound like...Very good quality work..The bass doesn't sound thin in my equipment! Great recording D!
Thanks for the Thumbs up on the Bass, I suppose as it's quite melodic, it's better having this style of EQ, also I think I tend to mix with a fat bass out of preference. I followed a link that Greg here on bandAMP gave me about multi-compressors, which I'm experimenting with at the moment with and will try some other tweaks - I try and rely on my ears rather than pre-sets and verbal/written instructions. In this mix I used my ears...lol, it will be interesting how it will sound going by the book. BTW may get a fretless bass, or may defret my old Ibanez musician, I may do the job myself during my summer holidays, but I'd rather buy a second-hand or good quality Fender J copy, in fact I've seen one for about £230.00 which has had good reviews. I'm also thinking of getting a Fender J Bass MIM, I tried a squier, but did not like the neck, too thin. I believe the Fender P's have wider necks, but I prefer the tone of a Jazz bass, the sound is more important that how it feels in my hands.
#7May 3rd, 2012 · 04:55 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Denis, you´re a music factory. Let me ask when you´re sleeping, working , meeting ya friends, tenderly to ya wify, caring about the fam? It´s enormous what a mass of music you´re producing.  Incredible. You must sleep only at the end of the month, he?  
OK, enough fooled around. Seriously now:
Although, I dunno what to recommend. The quality of your mixings / materings has reached a really high level by now. Before I came to your song I listened to another track and had to level it down quite a lot. You gained much loudness here. But it doesn´t sound overcompressed or squeezed but rather clear, airy and warm.

Now go and canoodle ( knuddel in german) ya missus.

#8May 3rd, 2012 · 05:55 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
Denis, you�re a music factory. Let me ask when you�re sleeping, working , meeting ya friends, tenderly to ya wify, caring about the fam? It�s enormous what a mass of music you�re producing.  Incredible. You must sleep only at the end of the month, he?  
OK, enough fooled around. Seriously now:
Although, I dunno what to recommend. The quality of your mixings / materings has reached a really high level by now. Before I came to your song I listened to another track and had to level it down quite a lot. You gained much loudness here. But it doesn�t sound overcompressed or squeezed but rather clear, airy and warm.

Now go and canoodle ( knuddel in german) ya missus.

U.LI. you are one crazy man - Love you for it

These days I don't watch TV hardly at all, one day I just took a look at reality and found myself to be like most of the population, a 'couched potato' is what the say here in the UK - you know sat in front of the TV eating, drinking perhaps too much and realized what I was watching the majority of the time was POO. It must be over two years since I stopped watching TV. I'm very lucky in that my Mrs or wify as you call her lol, doesn't not interfere with my passion for music, nor does she encourage it for that matter. Also I feel I'm at an age where  If I don't get maximum out of life to do what I enjoy NOW, it will get harder when I get to around 65+.
So yeah I eat, sleep, breath music and love every minute of it, I just don't seem to get bored of making music, always something new to explore or challenges to meet.

BTW I've improved on the mix of this composition, well a mix that I prefer, I may upload it see what you all think.

HAVE FUN
Cheers U.L.I. keep up the wity and knowledgeable posts
#9May 4th, 2012 · 02:42 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
denis wrote…
a 'couched potato' is what the say here in the UK
Yip, in germany we also use the term "couch potato". And I´m the prototype of a "couch potato". I´ve invented thuis "lifestyle", hahaha.

denis wrote…
Also I feel I'm at an age where  If I don't get maximum out of life to do what I enjoy NOW, it will get harder when I get to around 65+.
That´s so true, Denis. Nobody knows how long we oldy-goldies can do our hobby. We´re slowly turning into the home straight of life and haven´t much time to waste.
And what am I doing? Wasting time.......................arrrggh. 

denis wrote…
U.LI. you are one crazy man
Crazy? Me?  Na sowas.................

U.L.I.
#10May 10th, 2012 · 02:41 AM
26 threads / 26 songs
80 posts
United Kingdom
Denis you do some great music.
#11May 10th, 2012 · 02:33 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
great clear and yet warm sound Denis!
real horns are a pleasure compared to my VST's 
bass is awesome!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 7:54 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.