#1April 19th, 2012 · 01:07 PM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
Letter to the better

This song is not in a battle

This is a song I wrote a while ago. It's sung by a friend of mine.

The song is about a person that once was of great importance in my life. Not so much because she was pretty or sexy, but because she had the kind of personality that I needed to make me feel better.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2April 19th, 2012 · 01:38 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
There seems to be three different tracks going on ... they do follow each other ... but like wander around...
If you're trying to create a conventional song then your not there with it but if your trying to create what I think your trying to create then I think your nearly there .... you need to separate the tracks in the listening sphere and play them tighter with more discipline.
I did enjoy it, it just needs a tighter performance
#3April 19th, 2012 · 02:42 PM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
kings wrote…
There seems to be three different tracks going on ... they do follow each other ... but like wander around...
If you're trying to create a conventional song then your not there with it but if your trying to create what I think your trying to create then I think your nearly there .... you need to separate the tracks in the listening sphere and play them tighter with more discipline.

Thanks for the review Kings!

I'm definetly not trying to write a conventional song here. It was ment to be contrapointual, but there are a bit to much issues with the harmonies.

I will seperate the tracks in the mix. I think that might be very helpfull.
#4April 19th, 2012 · 03:11 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Sorry it does not work for me - perhaps use it as an effect in one part of the song.
Your friend has a nice voice. I'd like to hear it with just Piano and your friend singing, perhaps the flute played in the spaces of the vocal melody and a simple melody on the cello just to fill out the sound, use it as a bass if that makes sense.
#5April 19th, 2012 · 03:40 PM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
Denis wrote…
Sorry it does not work for me - perhaps use it as an effect in one part of the song.
Your friend has a nice voice. I'd like to hear it with just Piano and your friend singing, perhaps the flute played in the spaces of the vocal melody and a simple melody on the cello just to fill out the sound, use it as a bass if that makes sense.

Thanks for listening, Denis.

I understand what you mean. It's quit chaotic. I think it does get better if you listen to more often, but I can imagine the song is not atractive enough for listeneers to be willing to do that.

Like I mentioned I wrote I quite a while ago and I have forfitted my quest to try to write this counterpointal. Well. I mean I recognize the importance of 'soundplanes'.

I don't think I will try to rewrite this. I would be to timeconsuming to be wortwhile I'm afraid. I will try to mix it a bit more clearly.

Thanks for the input!
#6April 19th, 2012 · 04:10 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Jupiler wrote…
kings wrote…

Thanks for the review Kings!

I'm definetly not trying to write a conventional song here. It was ment to be contrapointual, but there are a bit to much issues with the harmonies.

I will seperate the tracks in the mix. I think that might be very helpfull.
Yes that's what I was thinking I just had no name for it .... contrapointual sounds right !     
It's too raw, the sound quality needs to be softened too ...   while your separating in the mix ... they need to sound like their 'meeting in the middle', it is what counterpointing is about after all.
#7April 20th, 2012 · 01:48 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Jupiler wrote…
Denis wrote…

Thanks for listening, Denis.

I understand what you mean. It's quit chaotic. I think it does get better if you listen to more often, but I can imagine the song is not atractive enough for listeneers to be willing to do that.

Like I mentioned I wrote I quite a while ago and I have forfitted my quest to try to write this counterpointal. Well. I mean I recognize the importance of 'soundplanes'.

I don't think I will try to rewrite this. I would be to timeconsuming to be wortwhile I'm afraid. I will try to mix it a bit more clearly.

Thanks for the input!
Shame really you don't have the time. How about you put in 10 mins per day. Make a plan of the what you are going to do and work through it.
If you are going just remix it, I would simply lower the flute, cello and remove the drums, but I urge you to start again with the piano and vocal melody, then build on it from then.

Even if you practice/work on songs for ten minutes per day, after approx a week it will become easier to play and come up with new ideas, if you keep it up, you will eventually get to the stage where it becomes easy and you will enjoy it more, even to the extent you are having fun. That's what it's all about... HAVE FUN
#8April 20th, 2012 · 04:26 AM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
[/quote]
Shame really you don't have the time. How about you put in 10 mins per day. Make a plan of the what you are going to do and work through it.
If you are going just remix it, I would simply lower the flute, cello and remove the drums, but I urge you to start again with the piano and vocal melody, then build on it from then.

Even if you practice/work on songs for ten minutes per day, after approx a week it will become easier to play and come up with new ideas, if you keep it up, you will eventually get to the stage where it becomes easy and you will enjoy it more, even to the extent you are having fun. That's what it's all about... HAVE FUN ;)[/quote]

Maybe I have a look at it in the future. There are parts, esspecialy in the voice/lyrics that I quit like. It's just quit a lot of work to rebuild it. If I would redo it  I think I will do it all differently.

It's not that I don't have the time to write music at all. Like I said I wrote this song a while ago (3 years or so). I have been writting a lot of other songs/pieces that are better (I hope so at least). And it's true: It's merely a hobby, so I have to máke time for it.

I will upload on of my more recent songs shortly. I don't want to flood the forum with my own songs without me returning the favor etc.
#9April 20th, 2012 · 12:04 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I do like the overall mood of the orchestral instruments, the female vox is very nice, but that drum I can't place much at all. I find it very tough to listen through as these drums are very distracting and greatly break down the listening experience.

Once the drums are gone, after 3:00 or so, I feel the songs drifts in many directions, but doesn't really make it clear where it wants to go. And then it ends.

Nevertheless it has a dreamy quality, I guess to let that effect work as a source of inspiration for future tunes gives the song purpose. I'd seriously remove the drums though, and re-use the vocal track on a more structured, perhaps a more sombre piece.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 12:39 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.