#1April 4th, 2012 · 04:11 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Budokan (Good Times) - (COVER)

This song is not in a battle

A good friend Larry commented on my recent Funky track saying it reminded him of Chic, sister sledge. He is a massive fan, goes on Nile Rodgers website everyday www.nilerodgers.com (Guitarists of Chic) - apparently he replies to emails on his website - he's just beaten Cancer and set to tour again, what a hero, no more so than Bernard Edwards (Bassists/Producer), who was ill at the Budokan Concert in Japan 1996 - 8 hours later he died of pneumonia.
So this is a remembrance song of the late Bernard Edwards who wrote and produced songs with  Nile Rodgers/ Chic, Sister Sledge ( we are family, thinking of you, he's the greatest dancer, lost in music)
Lets dance -  Bowie,  Like a virgin - Madonna, Loveshack/Cosmic Thing. B52s
The reflex/ Notorious Duran Duran Why -  Carly Simon, I'm coming out my old piano - Diana Ross, The powerstation Lady : modjo. Dance track, Groove jet: spiller Dance track.....................
The List is endless.

This is NOT finished, want to find anyone famous who has spoken good about Bernard Edwards and put it in this track - Please give me links if you know of any

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2April 4th, 2012 · 04:36 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Bernard Edwards Last Concert
Here is the Man in Action - it's incredible to see how healthy, relaxed and at ease he is on stage, then having died only 8 hours later - how ill he was whilst performing is a mystery - and what a fantastic live production - it don't get much better.

#3April 4th, 2012 · 06:58 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Okay...now you've forced me to confess I'm a closet Chic fan - the first thing that grabs you about Chic is that incredible rhythm section, complemented so perfectly by Nile Rodger's percussive rhythm guitar (I HAVE to listen to "Le Freak" every once in a while) On top of that, they had great melodies, a significant jazz influence (listen to "I Want Your Love") and interesting hooks (AahhhhHHHHHHHHH FREAK-OUT!!). Anyway, good choice to cover! Your version is impressive in the way you captured the popping rhythm - you slowed it down a little which added a bit of a "sleaze" factor (I mean that in a GOOD way...) to this little gem (kinda made a funk tune outta this). You captured Nile's rhythm technique nicely... and that BASS! Jeez! Could it be any bassier??? My sub-woofer is rattling the windows here! Nice work!!
#4April 5th, 2012 · 12:46 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
Okay...now you've forced me to confess I'm a closet Chic fan - the first thing that grabs you about Chic is that incredible rhythm section, complemented so perfectly by Nile Rodger's percussive rhythm guitar (I HAVE to listen to "Le Freak" every once in a while) On top of that, they had great melodies, a significant jazz influence (listen to "I Want Your Love") and interesting hooks (AahhhhHHHHHHHHH FREAK-OUT!!). Anyway, good choice to cover! Your version is impressive in the way you captured the popping rhythm - you slowed it down a little which added a bit of a "sleaze" factor (I mean that in a GOOD way...) to this little gem (kinda made a funk tune outta this). You captured Nile's rhythm technique nicely... and that BASS! Jeez! Could it be any bassier??? My sub-woofer is rattling the windows here! Nice work!!
I distinctly remember when Le Freak came out, as a musician I was so impressed with Nile's rhythm, not only the tone he gets on his Strats, like a vocal guitar, expressing with great character. Interesting about the tempo I chose, I just worked my way up to 104 bpm when that felt comfortable. Thinking about it and listening now, perhaps a couple of  bpm faster would have been the most comfortable.
It was more so for the Bass, that was perfect for me at the time of recording it, any faster, then I would have had to put in more practice.
#5April 5th, 2012 · 08:36 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
battlecat wrote…
I distinctly remember when Le Freak came out, as a musician I was so impressed with Nile's rhythm, not only the tone he gets on his Strats, like a vocal guitar, expressing with great character. Interesting about the tempo I chose, I just worked my way up to 104 bpm when that felt comfortable. Thinking about it and listening now, perhaps a couple of  bpm faster would have been the most comfortable.
It was more so for the Bass, that was perfect for me at the time of recording it, any faster, then I would have had to put in more practice.
Odd piece of trivia: If I remember correctly, disco/dance music usually ranges from 115-125 bpm or so (70's -era disco. anyway). But I LIKE the funk!
#6April 5th, 2012 · 08:41 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Here my favorite song from that concert:

Hard to believe Bernard was running a fever during this concert...shame...
#7April 6th, 2012 · 02:59 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
Here my favorite song from that concert:

Hard to believe Bernard was running a fever during this concert...shame...
Great when Nile and Bernard are face to face stutting their stuff, you can see how well they feed off each other. I still don't know how Barnard died from a Fever/pneumonia? I could understand if it was someone elderly. I also noticed a very quick acceptance from Bernard of the lady shaking her (_._) at the audience.
#8April 6th, 2012 · 03:55 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Good cover here, Denis.  A bit empty perhaps. But you got the git-rhythm and bassplay very well to generate that funky feeling.

Really strange what happened to Bernard Edwards. Here he´s so agile on stage and a few hours later...................R.I.P.
This "Chic stuff" and their special sound, rhythm and drive have formed me a bit during the "disco-era".
The way how the git was played is unique, so crisp. I always loved it.
#9April 6th, 2012 · 04:14 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
Good cover here, Denis.  A bit empty perhaps. But you got the git-rhythm and bassplay very well to generate that funky feeling.

Really strange what happened to Bernard Edwards. Here he´s so agile on stage and a few hours later...................R.I.P.
This "Chic stuff" and their special sound, rhythm and drive have formed me a bit during the "disc-era".
The way how the git was played is unique, so crisp. I always loved it.
I recorded this for a friend, who always makes comments on my music bless him. He is a massive fan of CHIC, when he returns from holiday, he's gonna lend me interviews of Nile and what ever else I can find that's related, from which I'm gonna take extracts from and place them in this piece, hence it's a rememberance song of Bernard Edwards.
^Bless^
#10April 8th, 2012 · 01:06 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Damn, that's one killer bass line!
And then you tell me that's the guy behind "Let's Dance" and "Notorious"? So he is a genius!
Good luck with the rest.

> Iz
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 10:34 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.