#1March 6th, 2012 · 04:40 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Big Cheese

This song is not in a battle

I started working on this around 20 years ago. Added another part to make it sound more interesting I hope. I struggled with timing here and there, plus I haven't been playing the Alto Sax much, hence my lip muscles are weak, so could only play certain parts, in fact I edited a couple of bits, which I don't normally do as matter of discipline - it was a case of having to. On the right channel midi Brass section. Quite pleased with the sound. Good old EzDrummer Jazz kit, rhythm played on a Tanglewood Sundance acoustic ( I was amazed how smooth it sounds for Jazz, and a Rally (Made in Gibson factory) Archtop for the lead - crikey that guitar really cuts through, even the Brass section.
Not sure if the bass guitar is right, it's so hard to get a good Bass sound. It's like you can't use a reliable method - every recording seems to require slight changes to make big difference in sound.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 8th, 2012 · 04:12 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Great jazz composition, Mr. Bluenote.
Everything in this arrangement is right . Instrumentation is perfect.
The gits sound wonderful jazzy. Sax and brass are matching good.
Don´t doubt too much in your bass sound. I´s a good performance. It sounds jazzy, it swings, it grooves. 
The way you play the bass here fits perfectly, imo. And you´ve improved your playing skills compared to early recordings.

Btw. I have a Bossa-nova-composition for more than 25 yrs. in "my drawer". Must bring it to an end. Some things need much time to hatch from the egg. Hihi.  

U.L.I.
#3March 8th, 2012 · 05:07 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
Great jazz composition, Mr. Bluenote.
Everything in this arrangement is right . Instrumentation is perfect.
The gits sound wonderful jazzy. Sax and brass are matching good.
Don�t doubt too much in your bass sound. I�s a good performance. It sounds jazzy, it swings, it grooves. 
The way you play the bass here fits perfectly, imo. And you�ve improved your playing skills compared to early recordings.

Btw. I have a Bossa-nova-composition for more than 25 yrs. in "my drawer". Must bring it to an end. Some things need much time to hatch from the egg. Hihi.  

U.L.I.
Thank you kind Sir for your encouragement.
If you want any help with your bossa-nova email to me, could hopefully give ideas to finish it. I've tried to record this song before, but was never pleased with it. I think now I've added another section and an intro/outro, it has made it complete. It's a bit tricky too, really I should have practiced more, but it's more to do with having fun
Cheers
#4March 8th, 2012 · 05:21 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Denis wrote…
If you want any help with your bossa-nova email to me, could hopefully give ideas to finish it.
Thank you, Denis, for the offer.
That I haven´t finished it has to do with my momentary laziness on one hand. On the other hand are there some new compositions, ideas I´m gonna work next ( IF I start working on the next song).
It´s just a dilemma of finding a decision about the next project.  I´m always thinking : "Next time I´ll make the bossa!" This way years go passing by....................................................................
#5March 8th, 2012 · 08:44 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
Denis wrote…
If you want any help with your bossa-nova email to me, could hopefully give ideas to finish it.
Thank you, Denis, for the offer.
That I haven�t finished it has to do with my momentary laziness on one hand. On the other hand are there some new compositions, ideas I�m gonna work next ( IF I start working on the next song).
It�s just a dilemma of finding a decision about the next project.  I�m always thinking : "Next time I�ll make the bossa!" This way years go passing by.................................................................... :sleep:
I used to only work on one at a time - now I work on many, the one that gives me the MOST inspiration is the one I'll focus on, this tune kept popping up, never was happy untill I got one extra part. BTW I've decided not to get another Bass for now, ordered a Classical Guitar instead, should get it next week - I've never owned a Classical guitar before, think it will add some diversity in my Jazz compositions, and I'd like to work on my finger picking again. But yeah, sometime in the future I think I'll get a Fretless Bass (you know me can't resist a bargain - one may just turn up unexpectedly)..
#6May 13th, 2012 · 02:10 PM
1 threads
73 posts
United States of America
Love how the guitar takes off at 1:31, hesitates, then falls into the next notes -- such a nice touch...
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 11:42 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.