#1January 22nd, 2012 · 05:34 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
The Change

This song is not in a battle

A song written a few weeks ago - and performed live a couple of times. This one's about the change in perception that comes with age.
One guitar, three vocals, recorded and mixed in a couple of hours using Cubase 5.  The mix can probably do with a bit of tweaking, but I'll wait for the expert ears on Bandamp to guide me!
Hope you enjoy

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 24th, 2012 · 03:37 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
"Change is on its way, can happen to anybody................except this song". 
The lyrics hit the nail, Jim. Changes are happenig the whole life long. 

About mixing I can´t find any flaws ( with my half-deaf "non-expert-ears"). Sounds like a coherent, musically mixdown. Nothing´s over- / underdone. Vox are present but not intrusive, gitte also.

To me this singer / songwriter composition is well done.

U.L.I.
#3January 24th, 2012 · 06:38 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Unfortunately where I am now, I can hear the music really well but can't comment on the finer details of the mix - they fall away with these otherwise neat computer boxes..

You do get a very pleasant and "full" arrangement with just guitar and vox. That is naturally due to your keen playstyle.

good lyrics too, good song, excellent delivery!
#4January 28th, 2012 · 07:22 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Hey Jim, well you now have you own sound, as soon as the song starts I just know it's you playing the guitar and obviously your vocals.

The mix is great - If I was being really picky I'd say you are a fraction too close to the vocal mic - You use a SM58 I believe, or at least it does sound like one.  Also the timing on the harmony vocals are out of time in some parts.

Your guitar strumming technique improves as the song goes. Would love to hear the guitar stereo miced like I do, you can pick up some cheap Beringer pencil ones for around £50.00. I purchased the Rode NT5's (stereo paired) second hand on eBay, lucky find, they are superb mics.

As for the song I can relate to changes - went through many in my thirties Now over 50 I'm settled like I've never ever been before, makes life easier, but can be boring if you don't appreciate the simple things in life like waking up in the morning and seeing the glorious sunshine poring through your window.

Keep it up Jim, each time I hear you upload a new song, I hear improvements in your timing and overall performances...
#5January 28th, 2012 · 07:10 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
5 posts
Nigeria
Amazing
#6January 29th, 2012 · 04:01 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the positive comments everyone... and Denis, you're spot on with what you said - I tend to forget to move back from the mic when recording, and work it the same way as for a live performance. I absolutely agree about the timing of the backing vocals too, and started to fix them a few days ago.
Some time I must post one of the songs recorded as my acoustic dynamic duo!
#7January 30th, 2012 · 04:50 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: The Change
Jiminuk wrote…
A song written a few weeks ago - and performed live a couple of times. This one's about the change in perception that comes with age.
One guitar, three vocals, recorded and mixed in a couple of hours using Cubase 5.  The mix can probably do with a bit of tweaking, but I'll wait for the expert ears on Bandamp to guide me!
Hope you enjoy
:)

fine tra
track i loop it 12 + times                      
#8January 31st, 2012 · 10:19 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
The mix sounds really good to me. I'd like a more organic acoustic guitar but that's just a matter of taste.

About the song itself, although it sounds pretty good as an acoustic version I think, because of its attitude, it would be great for a band. I can picture it in a 70's or 80's rock style. But then, of course, that's also a matter of taste.

Anyway, I liked it.

> Iszil
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 6:22 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.