#1January 6th, 2012 · 06:41 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Harp + Dulcimer

This song is not in a battle

Hi guys! I noticed the last song that I posted was in 2007, how time flys!

I'm messing around with building a browser based MIDI recorder, and as a result I finally got my piano setup to record MIDI. This song was recorded in GarageBand, but I hope to someday be able to record stuff like this in the browser (maybe even on BandAMP.com, collaborating with other members as we talked about once).

The song is one take, split into two tracks; a Harp (tuned to 1/16th time) and a Celtic Dulcimer (tuned to 1/8th time), along with a drum (loop) track in the background. It's inspired by Tchaikovsky, and Caribbean steel drums Hope you enjoy!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 7th, 2012 · 11:02 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Interesting sounds, it gives me the feeling of traveling through a mystic journey. The end needs tidying up, but other than that a nice piece
Interesting that Marino has just posted a thread of the last post you sent regarding the future of bandAMP
#3January 8th, 2012 · 04:08 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
welcome back Mud!

interesting calming piece, bit midi-esk but i guess u went for the experiment, not for the mix..
the harp sounds nice but the piano a bit poor, there are lots of nicer midi piano's i think ?

that browser sounds a nice idea to jam along online!

btw, dont let the site die, i am in a quite comfi financial position...
and where else could i bore ppl with my crap
#4January 8th, 2012 · 04:19 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
welcome back Mud!

interesting calming piece, bit midi-esk but i guess u went for the experiment, not for the mix..
the harp sounds nice but the piano a bit poor, there are lots of nicer midi piano's i think ?

that browser sounds a nice idea to jam along online!

btw, dont let the site die, i am in a quite comfi financial position...
and where else could i bore ppl with my crap :)
I'm with you all the way.  Please keep us informed Mud.. I assure you there are enough members here that are happy to assist you through this difficult period. Cheers
#5January 8th, 2012 · 06:03 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Never fear, BandAMP is not going away!
#6January 9th, 2012 · 05:18 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Swept away I am upon it's waves of passion  ... as midi as it is it has hart and soul .... did you play it or program it?

I really like the idea of online instruments. So your midi program could record an online session, all the tracks? Saved as a midi file ?

I've built a sample/mp3 player in flash (similar to the bandAMP player) years ago ... it had reverb though and other effects ... whether the same javascript would effect midi ... I dont think so.

I'm still convinced that FruityLoops was born from the programs listed (given away) on this page : http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/apps.shtml  
#7January 9th, 2012 · 10:52 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Woah this is really cool. I've never done much with midi and pure electronic recording but its always interested me and I've wanted to experiment more and more with it. This has definitely inspired and motivated me to consider doing that again.

Man if its ever possible for a group collab like this using just the browser on BandAMP that'd be AMAZING

This is really cool, and so cool to hear new stuff from you. I remember when I first joined the site everyone always said "Oh Mud this and mud that!" it was like Mud was the long lost forefather who created our little town and disappeared and us peasants were just waiting for the magnificent return. In fact this piece would be very cool to play for a hero coming back into a town that he has been gone from for so long! lol :P anyways ignore my imagination that is heavily influenced by firefly, doctor who, stargate, and pink floyd. rock on mud
#8January 12th, 2012 · 02:28 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Sounds a bit rigid to me but the composition is pretty awesome..Welcome back Mud!
#9January 16th, 2012 · 02:20 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Wow, this is pretty interesting stuff. Personally I imagine a more world-type percussion track to this, which will give it, given the instruments used, some kind of Dead Can Dance groove. I suspect the current drumtrack is just a placeholder...

Very flowy melodies. Just ends too suddenly. Neat noodle!
#10January 16th, 2012 · 04:00 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Thanks kings I played it on my keyboard, then used a bit of auto-timing, to match the harp + dulcimer up to the drum-beat. I was feeling a lot of emotion while playing the song, my headspace was somewhere between the stresses of life, and hopeful optimism.

Yes, so, that'd be the idea—two people, from opposite parts of the world, could plug into their synthesizers, and "jam" online! There is a lot more to it than that, but can't go into specifics. Working with my friend from the Netherlands this summer; http://abumarkub.net/abublog/

HTML5 can in fact produce many effects that Flash can, using the Web Audio API or the Data Audio API. They are both proprietary (the former to Chrome the latter to Firefox).  I'm banking on Web Audio API being the winner, so have been learning how to program with it recently, very cool stuff, I made this with it;

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ihmigmmflfcbhdpdgbkkeojchjhhphnh

You're probably not too far off on Fruityloops origin!

kings wrote…
Swept away I am upon it's waves of passion  ... as midi as it is it has hart and soul .... did you play it or program it?

I really like the idea of online instruments. So your midi program could record an online session, all the tracks? Saved as a midi file ?

I've built a sample/mp3 player in flash (similar to the bandAMP player) years ago ... it had reverb though and other effects ... whether the same javascript would effect midi ... I dont think so.

I'm still convinced that FruityLoops was born from the programs listed (given away) on this page : http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/apps.shtml   :razz:
#11January 16th, 2012 · 04:08 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Yes, it's possible! And, whether it's me, or someone else, you're going to start seeing more things like this popping up on the interwebs over the next few years.  It's an extremely exciting time to be an HTML5 developer, as the language becomes more full-featured.

We have similar taste in where our quirky imaginations come from. I got a good laugh out of your illustration of what the music made you think of

Do you have a keyboard?

TheKunadiun wrote…
Woah this is really cool. I've never done much with midi and pure electronic recording but its always interested me and I've wanted to experiment more and more with it. This has definitely inspired and motivated me to consider doing that again.

Man if its ever possible for a group collab like this using just the browser on BandAMP that'd be AMAZING

This is really cool, and so cool to hear new stuff from you. I remember when I first joined the site everyone always said "Oh Mud this and mud that!" it was like Mud was the long lost forefather who created our little town and disappeared and us peasants were just waiting for the magnificent return. In fact this piece would be very cool to play for a hero coming back into a town that he has been gone from for so long! lol :P anyways ignore my imagination that is heavily influenced by firefly, doctor who, stargate, and pink floyd. rock on mud :D
#12January 16th, 2012 · 04:12 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Thanks Puppet, very good advice, I love Dead Can Dance, I'll take a listen to get some inspiration on the drums. Hmmm, and for vocals... if only Lisa Gerald would answer my calls...

PuppetXeno wrote…
Wow, this is pretty interesting stuff. Personally I imagine a more world-type percussion track to this, which will give it, given the instruments used, some kind of Dead Can Dance groove. I suspect the current drumtrack is just a placeholder...

Very flowy melodies. Just ends too suddenly. Neat noodle!
#13July 9th, 2013 · 08:21 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Just taking a second to wish you a very Happy Birthday, Mud!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 3:37 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.