#1November 14th, 2011 · 12:25 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Elevators Demo

This song is not in a battle

Here's another demo of a song I've been working on. Full band takes coming soon.

I'm never happy with my vocals (with anything really) but especially with this song. I would REALLY appreciate any tips and tricks to help me just sing better as well as techniques to record vocals to make them sound like all the other artists have their vocals.

Any help would REALLY be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Here's the lyrics:
Running through our crazy lives and
never ever caring what we have to hide and
sleeping outside where the darkness engulfs us and
playing in the street until the school bus controls us

and I don't care about the people we meet who say
I better get a job and land on my feet and still
I don't know what happened to them and so
I don't need any fancy friends cause
I don't mind, no I don't mind

I break rules in elevators
I go up on the down escalator

Gliding through a visceral glass
of contained low emotions that never last
that break with the tide unless you let them free
and wander out like creatures from out of the sea

and the burning sweet smell of eternity bare
mixed with all the little dreams that we ever shared
that kaleidoscope into your beautiful eyes
that takes the darkness out of darkness and lights it on fire

And I'm as free as life will let me be
And will you sing to me, when life won't let me be
And will you be for me, all that I need you to be
And will you break the rules forever with me

I break rules in elevators
I go up on the down escalator

With you.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 16th, 2011 · 10:40 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Good old fashioned Practice, Practice, Practice...... but the real big factor is your passion for music and how big that passion is.

I sense you are lacking self confidence, this can be easily overcome by having a goal you really want and braking it down in stages. As you successfully achieve each little goal, your confidence will improve, you will feel better in your self, which will show in your music performances.

One thing I would try is to experiment singing in a higher key, I notice that many of you songs are sung quite low in your vocal range, try and find a mid point in your vocal range first and the work up and down from there until you find the best sounding, this will vary on each song you sing.

Again good old fashioned scales/arpeggios are good for vocal training. Here's what I do for about five minutes, I practice scales on my acoustic guitar and sing along to it at the same time, well I don't do the singing part that much, but you might as well do it, that way you are practicing both guitar and vocals. It may seem boring, but I can't stress how much this will help you improve as a musician.  Simply put, your brain, body and soul become more familiar to subtle changes in frequency and sound, you will then hear what sounds good when you perform it. Getting a good sound is very infectious, once you find it, you won't wont to stop playing, it's like a nature drug... you just want more and more.
#3November 18th, 2011 · 07:40 PM
7 threads / 6 songs
20 posts
United States of America
hey nice one
#4November 19th, 2011 · 02:45 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I really appreciate your listen and your comment Denis! I will practice practice practice. Singing in a higher key is definitely a good idea. I've just always felt a bit uncomfortable or at the very least "out of my comfort zone" when doing that. I am very self-conscious about singing and about my voice so when I sing kind of "monotone" or "very low" throughout everything its possibly in the hopes that no one will actually hear my voice. Definitely crap I'll have to get over by practicing. Although for some songs, I do like singing lower than most people would. I think it is sort of a style of mine, but at the same time it needs a lot of work. Anyways, I really appreciate your words! 
#5November 19th, 2011 · 07:17 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
your voice is fine, just technique practising, find it hard too :p
try a higher harmonie on your vox..
#6November 20th, 2011 · 04:30 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
having listened to your recent demo uploads, I'm looking forward to the full band takes they seem pretty decent songs, nicely driving foward, positive vibe.

As for vocals... Once you've recorded them, put some compression on em to level out the dynamics (losing volume drops/spikes). Not too much, just a little.

And yeah, working on that self-confidence, like Denis said, is a matter of practice and experience in public speaking/performance. That is something you can actually practice by imagining yourself standing on a stage with hundreds of people watching YOU, and then you rehearse your stuff... Over and over again. And be honest about imagining the audience's response... And rehearse in front of a mirror, look yourself in the eye. Do this every week on a set day and time for say half an hour at least, and every time you see a mirror or other reflective surface, look at yourself quickly, "reset" your posture and remind yourself of your goals in life. These things may seem a little weird but they aren't, they are self-reflection techniques, and will quickly boost your confidence even after a short time.
#7November 20th, 2011 · 02:18 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Cool song.
You could in deed be vocally more expressive and articulate more ... it's a self confidence thing probably ...

but that last bit could have been a different song all together, the 'with you clap clap' bit 

I liked the Elevator Escalator part and then I liked that last bit .. in a different way !   
#8November 22nd, 2011 · 09:02 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
I remember listening to your work when you came to the Amp..I can hear so much growth & improvement as you get older and that's just the way it should be...Good move on adding the clapping at the end..I Like that stuff...Decent lyrics also

...keep it going

Nice rating
#9November 24th, 2011 · 06:04 PM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
Good vocals and solid guitar work, definitely a good start!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 5:13 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.