1 2

#1September 12th, 2011 · 04:52 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Eon (Celldweller)

This song is not in a battle

Another collab between my former roommate, Karl, and I.

Posting for Kings who asked for rowdier, raunchier vocals.

This is actually a cover tune, but hopefully you guys will still enjoy giving it a listen.

Vocals and keys/synths are me.
Drums and guitar on this tune are Karl.

PS. I used Effectrix on my vocals in this tune as well (during the spoken-word part starting at 4:16). I think it makes the part more interesting, adds a little more movement, but... who knows

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 13th, 2011 · 04:35 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
amazingly interesting, this will take some time to consume, so i am gonna do that.
cool anyway

#3September 13th, 2011 · 06:22 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Eon (Celldweller)
brianvaughn wrote…

This is actually a cover tune, but hopefully you guys will still enjoy giving it a listen.

PS. I used Effectrix on my vocals in this tune as well (during the spoken-word part starting at 4:16). I think it makes the part more interesting, adds a little more movement, but... who knows :)

so u obviously not a newbie to song recording.....
this is very accomplished ...........

u fantastic!!!!!

ermm fish
#4September 13th, 2011 · 06:52 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
This initial post seems to have been edited while I was responding and I'm a little confused.

swordfish wrote…
so how do you think u fit into indie songwriting site... music is great .... here??? hmmm(thats polite)

Kings and I had kind-of sort-of had a talk about this when I first joined BandAmp. I'm not sure if this is intended to be a compliment or an accusation... hopefully not that.

I have tried to listen to every single new track that's been posted since I joined this forum (and several that were posted before I joined) and weigh-in with feedback and suggestion and encouragement. I've posted a few too and have been very encouraged by the response. This is one of the best, if not the best, song-writing/recording forums I've participated in in terms of the people.

That being said, if I'm posting too frequently I could certainly back off a bit. I don't want to give the wrong impression.

As for whether or not I fit into the category of "indie".. to me that term refers to music that is self-made, not backed by a label, often non-commercial, etc. I've been writing and recording for a long time (maybe not as long as some people here, but 10 years is a long time to me). I've been fortunate enough to gather a small collection of very fine recording equipment. And the hours upon hours I spend in the studio recording occasionally turns out something that I think is good to listen to. (More often than not it turns out 1-2 minutes jingles that I let sit and eventually forget about.)

If you think I'm not what I say, look me up on Facebook or MySpace or check out my YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/boynamedbri) which has finally climbed to 37 subscribers. Heh. As much as I would love to somehow snag a "following" I'm just a programmer by day, song-writing nerd by night.
#5September 14th, 2011 · 05:01 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Yip, is an asskicker. Perfect. Has anything a good song needs.
Nothing to suggest for improvement. here the vox are perfectly ´raunchy`, raw, mean........
The gits played by Karl sound also fantastic, powerful and punchy.

U.L.I.
#6September 14th, 2011 · 12:25 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! TOP NOTCH !

There is simply nothing like power and passion ..... well ok you have to be talented too to be able to put them somewhere ... this is somewhere !

I do have one production point ... I hear the whispering towards the end is 'effected' (autotune?) .... but my mind hears the end of each whispered line echo cut, what ever the technical term is, you know when you splice the sample into waffer thin piscees and spread them out so they go o o o o o to the next line ....  yes?

My "what the funk are you doing on an indie site?" had more to do with my intrinsic sarcasm !
How can I put it ? There are people here there and everywhere who do their own thing and they are very creative and very good .... but you, you are exceptionally good .... dont get me wrong, you might be a complete nerd .... but fuck me you can make some excellent music.
You are a very talented person ....

While your here check out JBP, Taka and Marino, all very talented and spot on in what they do
#7September 14th, 2011 · 02:44 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
My bad Kings, I meant... of how I initially interpreted your comment, not actually how you meant it. Thanks for clarifying again though.

And thanks ULI and Kings both for the compliments!

Ah, so you're saying, toward the end of the Effectrix-ed vocals, do some sort of manual chop-stutter effect? That stuff does sound pretty sweet, it's just such a pain in the ass to do. (Anyone know of any good VSTs for doing that?) Does sound like a solid suggestion though. Honestly, I'd have probably tried it already if it wasn't so slow and manual. 

Thanks for the recommendations too Kings. I'll give them a listen right now.
#8September 14th, 2011 · 02:59 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
LOL.... Brian I'm not into this style of music
But........ Very well produced
May be you can produce something more mellow and make me happy

You will have your work cut out

But seriously GREAT JOB
#9September 14th, 2011 · 03:01 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Thanks Denis I'll record something folksy and mellow just for you.
#10September 14th, 2011 · 03:45 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
had doubts I'd be listening more because I tell myself i am not that angry anymore, angry music bores me lately.
guess I lied to myself, I fu**in' love this, I like it better than Tool.
this song wont bore me, it will be on my next 'car cd', just as your other work.
That must make your day 
i can spend a lot of words here, ill keep it short:
fantastic!
#11September 14th, 2011 · 03:55 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Huge complement there Max Not sure we're anywhere near worthy of that one but thanks so much!

Making it onto a 'car CD' is excellent.
#12September 14th, 2011 · 04:53 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Yes "Stutter" that was the word I was looking for ... 

Yes there's vsts that cuts your stuff for you .... look for pHATmatik PRO VSTi 1.0 .... oo it's 69 dollars lol
It's an old one and there are probably better ones these days.
Phatmatix is an excellent sample slicer, add your own slices, let it split it for you on beats etc, effect each separate hit / cut, export the midi file, import it back into a Cubase (or whatever) track, point the track to the Phatmatix channel and do with the midi hits as you please

What about ReCycle ... wow I love ReCycle, I've probably got twice as many REX files as I do wav samples.
And the coolest thing is that Cubase (and others) recognise REX files.
So on a Cubase track you get one block of sample, double clicking it will open the block in the editor where you'll see all the separated hits / slices.
And it gets better ... opening a slice gives you the possibility to move the slice along the original sample ... so you can start it earlier or make it longer. To add or take away a hat after a kick for instance.
ReCycle its self does the most wonderful things to your samples too, I've used it get vocal samples in the right time and tune..... it's dead simple ... once you know how

But zooming in on a sample and cutting it up is a piece of piss ... you're just lazy  
#13September 14th, 2011 · 04:59 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
kings wrote…
you're just lazy   :razz:

lol, you nailed me. 

Thanks for the mention of these plug-ins Kings. Can't wait to get home and look them up. Maybe they'll have some trials/demos!
#14September 17th, 2011 · 09:22 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Heh yeah this is a great track, top notch production value, and of a style I can appreciate too. Looks like I gotta listen to more of your stuff... Hmm this is a cover you say?

Compared it with the original, your version almost sounds like an alternative mix of the original.. Ok so they can pull just a little bit more production stunts, but wow... I'm very impressed!

Ok so now I hope over to your originals.. cheers
#15September 18th, 2011 · 05:52 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: Eon (Celldweller)
swordfish wrote…
brianvaughn wrote…

PS. I used Effectrix on my vocals in this tune as well (during the spoken-word part starting at 4:16). I think it makes the part more interesting, adds a little more movement, but... who knows :)

so u obviously not a newbie to song recording.....
this is very accomplished ...........

u fantastic!!!!!

ermm fish

shit have i been fooled??
its a rip??
Hmmm reckon..

Well it happens

Why the f**k cant i just say this is ***************************s as i should
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 1:53 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.