#1September 12th, 2011 · 01:37 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Journey for Volk (beta)

This song is not in a battle

Hi this is my very unpolished version of the song but the structure will roughly be the same: AB ACADB EFEF (sort of) with some variations each time the same part is repeated.

I'll be performing this at my university this Wednesday and I know it's too soon but it's some cultural diversity event and I have an excuse to play something a little more weirder

Tell me what you think. I'm thinking whether part C is suitable. I really like the melody there but does it stray too far? Or is it suitable as a "bridge".

I'll definitely shorten part E2 and polish things up because the whole song is very much improvised with only the structure and direction in mind. For example, like in Part E2 I was trying to get to F2 but I went on for too long and it got messy and kinda longwinded.

Any critique or suggestions on anything are appreciated.

(I only took 1 take because I've got to wake up at 5:50am tomorrow and it's 1:30 now, and I've just had 2 tests and I want to get good grades hence the clumsyness of my playing. But I have a lot of time tomorrow to practice! Goodnight!)

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 14th, 2011 · 01:35 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
This was much longer than I expected!

Writing as I listen:
 - Major atonal note at :22 that sounded just completely wrong. Not sure if that was a misfret or intentional.
 - In B, the chord progression got a bit tiresome. Either try shortening the section, adding some variety with walking bass using your thumb or overdub some melody.
 - Rhythm varies wildly. I assume this is just because the cut is quite rough.
 - I like the very folksy rhythm. Very right in the context of this kind of music.
 - C has a nice movement away from the harmony A creates, but it gets a bit long like B.
 - Not sure what section just happened at 5:11, but I liked the groove busting out. You want fuller percussion here. A tambourine and shakers.
 - I liked what happened at 8:22ish.

Overall, it's very rough, but a good foundation. I really don't see this needing to be anything over about 3:30 long. What you need to do for structure is try and get something developed, rather than coming back to the same phrases over and over again for minutes at a time.

Many parts of this reminded me of the groove in "Minarets" by Dave Matthews Band, in a good way.

Would love to hear a completed version of this if you ever record it. Regardless, the very best of luck in your performance!
#3September 14th, 2011 · 05:44 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
The most is already said by Avi.
There´s a lot of spanish / oriental elements you experimented with. Some melodical and some rhythmical parts randomly conglomerated.
Now you need to bring some structure , a logical order and dramaturgy into this "fundament" and work it out.
Looking forward to a finished version.......

U.L.I.
#4September 14th, 2011 · 09:37 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Avi gave some solid feedback. I'll mostly agree.

Digging on the oriental vibe at the beginning. Chord progressions work well also I think but it does drag on a bit after a while. I'd make it significantly shorter or do something to try and increase dynamics. Accompaniment would be great (percussion, maybe, to help keep the rhythm a bit more consistant and also help with the dynamics) but that may not be an option.

Even if you don't change it at all, just practicing on keeping the tempo or rhythm more consistant would go along way I think. For a "very unpolished version" it sounds promising though! Perhaps you should try to record the performance so you can post for us?
#5September 14th, 2011 · 06:41 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Thanks a lot for the comments, and the very detailed comments on each part. I've totally forgotten about moving basses!

I have a structure quite firm in mind but not the transitioning between the different parts or what to put in each part besides the main theme. As a result, I dragged on quite long while thinking what do do next or especially if I missed the transistion timing, meaning the end result should be about 6-7 minutes if I know what to play, and use this structure.

But the show was actually on Tuesday and not Wednesday hahaha and I most probably played 7-8 minutes long, going in quite unprepared but glad I played it one last time the day before and listened to it a few times. A few of my metal listening friends were happy about it but they also said that the beginning wasn't good, though it was also due to me not bringing my nylon guitar and not using a thumb pick for the slow plucking parts, and that it was not a recording haha

What I did was add some precussions for the repeated B parts and reduce the repetitions into B1B1B2B2B3(transition) and tried not to repeat many times for all the other parts. The 'A' parts weren't well fix though I would suppose.

And I actually played a few earlier versions with my legs on the tambourine but I needed even more time to plan that rhythm and be good at it that I throwed it out. Definitely still considering it.

Coming up with a version I can call "finished" will take some time ...  For now I'm still keen on an (very shortened) ABABC structure. (with transitions/bridges not included in the statement). Either that or I'll split it into several shorter related "movements" like I did with my first 3 songs.

Once again, thank you for the detailed critique. In case I sound like I'm giving excuses, I assure you that I will keep looking back to the critiques while trying to refine it.

Btw, what started the whole idea was some random noodling and suddenly forming a chord a DADA chord starting from the 4th to the first string.

And thanks for the song Minarets! Never know Dave Matthews band did all kinds of stuff, I only known them from House.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 29th, 2024 · 9:24 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.