#1August 27th, 2011 · 10:52 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Her Eyes

This song is not in a battle

Another ditty in the pub-conversation saga... this one was born from a theory that a very attractive eastern European girl (with slightly sad eyes)looked out of place with the guy she was with (who I took a very quick dislike to!)

Acoustic folk... me n my geetar

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 27th, 2011 · 10:55 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
And of course... just for Mr Fish (who likes lyrics as the first post on a song)

Her Eyes

Waiting for her plane
got her world in her suitcase
Nothing ventured nothing gained,
off toward a new place
Left no message, can't explain,
disappeared without a trace
Nothing's going to be the same
There's lines etched upon her face

[Chorus]
Her eyes are the windows to her soul and her mind
Her eyes reflect the feelings deep inside

Born in a poor land,
she grew up fast
Learned to live, not to give,
to make the money last
Had a dream of riches,
having her own place
Though poor it seems God blessed her
With a figure and a face

[Chorus]

Packed and travelled quickly
to the city, where she found
The pimps and the pushers,
not the life she planned
Now she's surfing down the wire,
looking for a life
She finds a man who'll buy her dreams
For the price of being his wife

[Bridge]
Now she thanks you all for being there
For helping at the end
For the offers and suggestions
For calling her your friend

A lot of water's passed under the bridge
since that day
Time has had a chance
to take the pain away
People change,
patterns form and set
She's learned to forgive
but she never will forget

[Chorus]
#3August 28th, 2011 · 04:14 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nice one Jim - Do I detect an Acoustic album of your Pub adventures??
The chorus works well on this one.

Out of interest what was it that gave you an immediate dislike to when you saw this lady's guy.
I work in East London, there are quite a few Eastern European people living there, and yes many of the ladies have natural beauty and a figure to match - I can watch, but can't touch.
#4August 28th, 2011 · 04:41 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Ho!!
Very expressive and strong. Always amazing again how powerful a voice and git can sound. Did you overdub the git here? Has such a full tone.
As Denis said, the layered vox work very, very well.

Not only fishes want to see the lyrics posted. Non-english-natives want it , too.

Wonderful song, indeed.

U.L.I.
#5August 29th, 2011 · 03:10 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Makes me feel all sad inside

However I guess I'm just not used to hearing layered voices in this way and it feels weird or a little eerie. I was looking to see if I was playing the same song twice with a delay.

But on second thought,

That would complement your song perfectly!

Makes me feel all sad inside
#6August 29th, 2011 · 04:13 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the comments everyone - much appreciated, and I'm glad you liked the song.
@Denis - they guy made a few comments about people that he'd never met, which he clearly thought were funny; I just thought he was a d!ck!  (Oh, and I seriously doubt the album idea will ever happen!)

@ULI - nope, no second guitar in this one; it's all about the way it's recorded.  I take the direct out and stick it through one channel, and simultaneously mic the guitar (good ol' SM58) and have that in the other channel.  Then the two are mixed about 70% left/right with a very small delay of about 7ms on one channel.  I don't even think I added any eq to the guitar on this one.

@JieXian - I guess it is a sad song in one way.  But it also captures the idea that someone can escape their life of hardship and find peace and happiness.  The sadness expressed in her eyes is intended to be that of remembering the past, not her present.  I'm not sure I've posted a song on this site that doesn't have some layered vocal in there somewhere; this one was just an experiment for me with one, two, and three harmonies in different places.  Don't be sad!

#7August 30th, 2011 · 02:09 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Jiminuk wrote…
@JieXian - I guess it is a sad song in one way.  But it also captures the idea that someone can escape their life of hardship and find peace and happiness.  The sadness expressed in her eyes is intended to be that of remembering the past, not her present.  I'm not sure I've posted a song on this site that doesn't have some layered vocal in there somewhere; this one was just an experiment for me with one, two, and three harmonies in different places.  Don't be sad!

:)

Ok, I've reread it and saw the other interpretation. Still, the main event and idea was about a very present situation to be in. "She finds a man who'll buy her dreams; For the price of being his wife".

Thing is I never heard harmonies being done like that, your's sounded somewhat likes echoes (echoes frmo the past) when compared to what I'm used to. Which also contributed to the mood. (I never heard your stuff before as you can see from my post count ~) Or maybe it's just me being used to seeing people who are leading tough lives.
#8August 30th, 2011 · 10:43 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
I like this. Nice sad melody and good vocal harmony work.
Would make a great open-mic/pub piece.
#9September 1st, 2011 · 05:52 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I've listened to this so often I've come to really like it.
Sorry for not commenting sooner...
I love the expression in your voice
And I love the chorus
 ... as sad as it may be in its story it's a really good song.
#10September 2nd, 2011 · 03:54 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Her Eyes
Jiminuk wrote…
Another ditty in the pub-conversation saga... this one was born from a theory that a very attractive eastern European girl (with slightly sad eyes)looked out of place with the guy she was with (who I took a very quick dislike to!)

Acoustic folk... me n my geetar :)

Man you are getting really good at these story songs ..

Im captivated by this one

production is spot on ........to get the emotion over
Chrystal clear vocals .....(every word a statement)
decisive and crisp guitar playing .....
SHARP....as in it cuts!!!

it avoids navel gazing and the bleaty sound so often heard with this genre of song

love it

happy fish!!
#11September 3rd, 2011 · 08:51 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Hell yeah..singer songwriter at its best..Really enjoy your voice and playing....Seems to have a celtic feel to it..Kudos..Good show!!!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 1:40 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.