#1June 5th, 2011 · 05:53 AM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
Play Crack The Sky Cover

This song is not in a battle

So everyone's doing covers now, I thought I remember reading somewhere on here once that covers were not allowed...

Anyway I've been practicing my singing (which is poor at the best of times) and thought I would upload a cover of the Brand New song "Play Crack The Sky" to see if I could get some feedback on my singing and any tips or hints. I tried to sing with as much emotion as possible as it's quite a powerful song if you listen to the lyrics.

Basically the song was recorded in my bathroom, live with 1 microphone, 1 take, no editing.

Let me know what you think of the vocals and if you have any tips for improving vocals for live recording.

Cheers,
James

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2June 5th, 2011 · 06:38 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
JTDultimate wrote…
I thought I remember reading somewhere on here once that covers were not allowed...
Yeah, I also remember that covers aren´t appreciated. But this isn´t my matter.
I think for practicing and improving one´s singing skills cover-versions are pefect
Doing a recording in ya bathroom is an interesting idea, cuz you don´t need to add some reverbs.
Basically  your voice has a nice ´coulour` & expression but needs training. At this moment the chant is slightly wobbly.
But also I´m sure when you´re gonna educate ya voice, breathing techniques etc. you´ll become a good singer.
So, keep up working
U.L.I.
#3June 5th, 2011 · 11:49 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Covers are allowed - In the section where you uploaded the song there is a section for covers, you simply select yes or no

The guitar sounds OK, except it may need some compression.

The Vox sounds thin, you could be too far from the mic, the bathroom has too much reverb thinning out your vox or both. If in doubt about the room acoustics, then record the vox as dry as possible. I simply sing in the corner of my bedroom where I have a couple of thick night robes, I put the mic in front of them, and sing about 4 inches from the mic, doing so gives you a dry response, the sound is full and solid - you can then add what ever type of reverb you want, you could add a bathroom preset if you have one.

Or if you have another mic, you can record your vox on a separate track, that's how most live recordings are set-up, so if you intend to gig, then that's the way to go. If you just want a quality recording then record it as dry as possible, add effects later, compression later.
#4June 5th, 2011 · 06:38 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
This is a really beautiful song—Brand New is pretty stellar, in my opinion.  A direct comparison to the original song isn't entirely helpful, but I would say something using that angle: you're nearly 30 seconds shorter in duration than the original (removing the original's opening/closing bits), which makes your tempo a little bit faster.  Because of that, I feel like this cover is rushing just a tiny bit.  When words start piling up on each other from the faster tempo, it's harder to maintain an even volume in the vocals.  Compression helps that in a studio recording, but even so, it loses the strange serene quality that the original has.

The ending bit is tough, since there are supposed to be like 3 separate vocal tracks .  I felt like that was the weakest part of the vocal performance, as it was like the key was trying to change each stanza   Pretty much you just need to envision the right notes and sing up to them, hopefully without destroying the raw emotional feel, in this case.  There's an amount of comfort you'll have to have with the melody you want to sing, that the notes just happen automatically.  To get there though, you have to spend an annoying chunk of time calculating your notes in your head until the particular melody is as good as effortless for you.

Enjoyed the performance.  Makes me want to go back and listen to Deja Entendu again soon.
#5June 5th, 2011 · 06:40 PM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
Thanks Dennis and Uli. Great Advice.

I'll try re-recording the vocals separately in my bedroom similar to what you do. I have no idea about how close to sing to the mic etc so will definitely try 4 inches

Cheers!
#6June 6th, 2011 · 04:52 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
JTDultimate wrote…
Thanks Dennis and Uli. Great Advice.

I'll try re-recording the vocals separately in my bedroom similar to what you do. I have no idea about how close to sing to the mic etc so will definitely try 4 inches

Cheers!

You could use a couple of towls hanged on the wall, or some foam to dry out the sound, as well as a rug on the floor if it is not carpeted, or anthything you have lying around similar that will do the job.
Another way to guage the distance from the mic is to use the width of your palm. If you sing into the mic and play around with the distance, you'll hear what sounds best.
#7June 6th, 2011 · 05:59 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Denis wrote…
Covers are allowed - In the section where you uploaded the song there is a section for covers, you simply select yes or no

I wouldn't say that covers are allowed just because that we have a cover option. I could upload a song which is covered by a nameless person and I declare this as "cover no". Am I the owner then? The legal regulation is not clear at the moment. But as long as the artist declares an uploaded track as a cover, just to show the skills, and as long as the artist doesn't sell it or earns money with it the interests of the origin work are not affected.

Maybe we have a member aboard who knows better.

It must be clear that Bandamp denies all repsonsibilities because noone of us can pass judgement on the entire track or parts of it. Our moderators only can screw around some posts to remove impproper or indecent "tweets". But that's all. And.... we have an "Abuse" button and "Follow the rules" section. Everyone can click on it.

To make it clear: Every member is responsible for its own upload.

btw. should Bandamp have an anti-terror button?
#8June 6th, 2011 · 03:04 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
Denis wrote…

I wouldn't say that covers are allowed just because that we have a cover option. I could upload a song which is covered by a nameless person and I declare this as "cover no". Am I the owner then? The legal regulation is not clear at the moment. But as long as the artist declares an uploaded track as a cover, just to show the skills, and as long as the artist doesn't sell it or earns money with it the interests of the origin work are not affected.

Maybe we have a member aboard who knows better.

It must be clear that Bandamp denies all repsonsibilities because noone of us can pass judgement on the entire track or parts of it. Our moderators only can screw around some posts to remove impproper or indecent "tweets". But that's all. And.... we have an "Abuse" button and "Follow the rules" section. Everyone can click on it.

To make it clear: Every member is responsible for its own upload.

btw. should Bandamp have an anti-terror button?

A simple note in the dialogue surly is enough to specify a cover song, since bandAMP is free to listeners. and if anything it promotes the original artist. There was a singing competition on the TV recently of someone who did a cover song really well, which in turn created sales for the original artist to the extent it put them in the top twenty charts.
#9June 6th, 2011 · 03:32 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Play Crack The Sky Cover
JTDultimate wrote…
So everyone's doing covers now, I thought I remember reading somewhere on here once that covers were not allowed...

Anyway I've been practicing my singing (which is poor at the best of times) and thought I would upload a cover of the Brand New song "Play Crack The Sky" to see if I could get some feedback on my singing and any tips or hints. I tried to sing with as much emotion as possible as it's quite a powerful song if you listen to the lyrics.

Basically the song was recorded in my bathroom, live with 1 microphone, 1 take, no editing.

Let me know what you think of the vocals and if you have any tips for improving vocals for live recording.

Cheers,
James

site for songwriters ........I always thought
But nice shot at this song  ..........

didnt dissapear down the plughole!!!  

got one of your own thats better???

Im sure u have

fish
#10June 6th, 2011 · 03:33 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: Play Crack The Sky Cover
swordfish wrote…
JTDultimate wrote…

Cheers,
James

site for songwriters ........I always thought
But nice shot at this song  ..........

didnt dissapear down the plughole!!!  

got one of your own thats better???

Im sure u have

fish
gone fer a bath!!!!    
#11June 6th, 2011 · 06:56 PM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
TonightsLastSong - Good work on spotting that my cover was 30 seconds shorter, will maybe try and slow it down next time.

Yeah in regards to the cover situation I used this song mainly to gain feedback on my singing and as this site is in my opinion used mostly as a forum for feedback I thought it would be okay. It's not like I'm claiming to have written the song....But I;m sure i read somewhere like 4 years ago that covers were not allowed and now there are covers all over the place.... haha

And Swordfish, working on some of my own stuff, just for you buddy :P
#12June 6th, 2011 · 06:58 PM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
Deja Entendu is an amazing album btw, one of my all time favourites.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 11:56 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.