#1May 31st, 2011 · 11:16 AM
17 threads / 13 songs
40 posts
United States of America
Seed

This song is not in a battle

A mixture of different types of genres trying to mesh them together without being too chaotic.   Any feedback is appreciated.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2June 5th, 2011 · 06:15 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
It needed 2-3 times to listen until I came closer to this extraordinary song.. Slowly I can get you.
What you did here is a pretty interesting using of a bunch of drumsounds, synths, effects & vox-doubling over a simple chord structure. Seems that you´re generating your own, unique, characteristically way to express yourself.
Perhaps you like to improve this mix a bit:   for me the problem here is that the varying sounds/patterns  coming up in different loudness(es?) . When you try to ´equalize` the loudness levels by using another compession adjustments the whole mix will become more coherently and harmonically..

Thisone is definatly the best song I´ve heard from you ´til now.
U.L.I.
#3June 5th, 2011 · 06:19 AM
17 threads / 13 songs
40 posts
United States of America
Thanks.
Thank you very much for the positive feedback.  Ill try messing by compressing things differently to make the mix more normalized, but a lot of times somethings just may appear louder because of the nature of the sound or I want it to "hit" or cause a a reaction in the increase of volume or normally just more deep hi definition sounds.  I can't notice any part where it sounds unprofessionally loud or sounds like it shouldn't be louder than it is, but that's difficult with your own songs; Ill check again.

Yeah it's a rather simple chord structure compromised mainly of power chords.  Its supposed to be like some folk, grunge, hip hop, dubstep, house, and a little blues all mixed together.  Again, thanks!
#4June 5th, 2011 · 10:53 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
interesting..., in a good way, like the mix of sounds and styles,

influences of Beck?
#5June 5th, 2011 · 01:02 PM
17 threads / 13 songs
40 posts
United States of America
I don't really know who influences me; do you? I would love to say I am not influenced by anyone, if that's even possible. I'd like to claim that my music is completely original, but we don't get wiped clean from our memory at our choosing and whatever we listen to obviously (especially heavily) gets some sort of contribution toward the music you create. Probably even cheesy elevator music.

Now, really the reason my style is the way it is, is because it is the only tools I have available to me.  I use to produce electronic music and work for VST instrument companies in the past, and all I have is an acoustic guitar, harmonica, keyboard and a microphone.  Sometimes Ill have friends come by and play a violin layer on a song or another guitar layer on a track, but that's about all I have.  So, VST instruments provide a lot of diversity and they are really interesting instruments and get get very complicated and aren't always just "effects".  I wish I also had a clarinet and a trumpet player or could learn how to play these. L

Like ULI said, I am really trying to find a unique way to express myself but still make it decent (hopefullly good) music.  So if I had to choose between any combination and had all the money in the world: it would be just what it is except more acoustic string instruments, some brass, and a lot of powerful rich sounding expensive VST instruments, sampling, and drum machines, etc.  I LOVE the bass and drums capabilities the electronic scene uses to make their music.  But I also LOVE the violin, the guitar, etc. and so many types of music.

However, I would say, when I think about it, for this particular song there is  a combination of leadbelly,  nirvana, and modest mouse, kind of folky but I think that comes from my interpretation of blues ( leadbelly, john mississippi hurt, etc),  I also do listen to beck.  The blues as a style rather than technically speaking wise.  Then with all the techno style stuff is popular in modern subgenres like dubstep and house.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Sean
#6June 6th, 2011 · 08:23 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
srm2888 wrote…
I don't really know who influences me; do you? I would love to say I am not influenced by anyone, if that's even possible. I'd like to claim that my music is completely original, but we don't get wiped clean from our memory at our choosing and whatever we listen to obviously (especially heavily) gets some sort of contribution toward the music you create. Probably even cheesy elevator music.

Now, really the reason my style is the way it is, is because it is the only tools I have available to me.  I use to produce electronic music and work for VST instrument companies in the past, and all I have is an acoustic guitar, harmonica, keyboard and a microphone.  Sometimes Ill have friends come by and play a violin layer on a song or another guitar layer on a track, but that's about all I have.  So, VST instruments provide a lot of diversity and they are really interesting instruments and get get very complicated and aren't always just "effects".  I wish I also had a clarinet and a trumpet player or could learn how to play these. L

Like ULI said, I am really trying to find a unique way to express myself but still make it decent (hopefullly good) music.  So if I had to choose between any combination and had all the money in the world: it would be just what it is except more acoustic string instruments, some brass, and a lot of powerful rich sounding expensive VST instruments, sampling, and drum machines, etc.  I LOVE the bass and drums capabilities the electronic scene uses to make their music.  But I also LOVE the violin, the guitar, etc. and so many types of music.

However, I would say, when I think about it, for this particular song there is  a combination of leadbelly,  nirvana, and modest mouse, kind of folky but I think that comes from my interpretation of blues ( leadbelly, john mississippi hurt, etc),  I also do listen to beck.  The blues as a style rather than technically speaking wise.  Then with all the techno style stuff is popular in modern subgenres like dubstep and house.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Sean
of course I have an open mind to music styles and genres too
we all want to be original and we all are i guess, but also 'educated' and influenced
I didnt mean to put a label on you or your work in any way i just could have said something like; ' your song reminds me of some great songs from Beck in pleasant way ' and i would have ment the same.., its just a compliment, and in the worst case (if u dont like Beck :p ) an opinion.
Quite interesting to read how and why you are recording like this though, tnx for that, i like to experiment in my own way, and had some thoughts while listening.
In a pleasant way of course.

#7June 6th, 2011 · 09:57 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
lol I totally see what you are saying here MaxdB. it does seem a bit "beck" like which isn't a bad thing at all. all that guy does is experiment.
but this is a REALLY cool track srm2888...i LOVE this. your voice texture and feeling drives the song along and then the different genres that you have combined here make it incredibly interesting and almost slightly funny, in a good way. I don't know how to explain it but I really like the feeling of this. Especially the way you sing at the part about the sharks in the sea. Great song man   

I also love how you try to be completely free from influence and try to make your songs completely original. We all strive to do this and I have to say this is very original. Excellent job. Its such an eerie song that keeps making you want to come back and listen again and again. And now its just outta control.
#8June 8th, 2011 · 06:15 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
ignorant fish
so what are u choppin up???.......... to make this happen???
all your own??
call me a stupid fish
u r in control .........

so fer a newbie thats great ...........

from previous posts
I guess u can probably help all in the community

wellcome to and enjoy the amp
Its very different

r u a music student or something like
cos quality is so good
tell us about yourself please

swordfish
#9March 2nd, 2015 · 06:12 PM
3 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Like the out of control feel
Solid message and varied mix of sounds lends to out of control feel. Mastering is difficult, takes patience and practice. We are struggling with this now.
#10May 2nd, 2015 · 04:17 PM
59 threads / 56 songs
162 posts
Netherlands
ah interesting..where s that bassline ? you started with.could be more in the track.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 3:50 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.