Just Happens

This song is not in a battle

Honest feedback is greatly appreciated.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 29th, 2011 · 03:49 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I can sense you are trying for originality, which it has.
With some work it will sound much better, here are my suggestions

Pan the vox in the center, keep the percussive sounding drums, change or delete the drum loops
The Vox echo effect repeat is too long, ok for rock and roll, imo this is more an acoustic piece, with some modern effects, so generally with this style the emphasis will be on your Vox, reducing the effects and panning them in the center will bring them up front.
#3May 29th, 2011 · 03:52 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Do I get what your trying for? Maybe ! Your doing it so it becomes what you make it.
You have an original thing going on for sure ... love the big synth bass and love the whole flow to it, loops, samples and all.
I just love the 'hillbilly hippy folk techno sampler' ?? style you have.
I dont really like the vocal but it's what your looking for, otherwise you would have done it differently I suppose.
I agree it could be centred closer and warmer but if the whole idea is a hillbilly techno sample thing then they could be any place in the mix ... but then I would expect  a slightly tighter approach to the whole production of the 'sampled' vocals track.

Though I must admit I do think Tom Waits , Neil Young and to a degree Mick Jagger when I listen. In that they all have odd voices that need really listening too to appreciate.
#4May 30th, 2011 · 11:38 AM
17 threads / 13 songs
40 posts
United States of America
Hillbilly folk techno
Yeah sure.  There isn't much sampling going on except at the very end.  Most of the "modern effects" are just VST instruments and midi, so they are actually supposed to be harmonic with the guitar and my voice.  I normally always pan the Vox out from now on because I have a poor recording mechanisms for voice and guitar and when you pan them out it appears more clear.  

I can go way back in the production and pan the vocals in and try that; thanks for the suggestion of changing or deleting the drum loop.  I have taken it into serious consideration after hearing that recommendation then listening to the song.  There is no echo effect on the vocals.  On the second verse it has some distorted effect on one layer of vocals.  Maybe you are talking about the 8 beat measure at thee end I a repeat.

Kings, its going to get worse.  See, I am from Mississippi/Louisiana region. We practically created bluegrasss, blues, rock and roll, and jazz.  I learn more and more from street entertainers in New Orleans so a lot of my guitar is going to go more bluegrass style while I am going to continue to keep the electronic melodies in there.  So hillbilly techno it is and it its going to get worse.  I am still working on my voice trying different things.  If you listen to some of my songs I sing differently.  I am trying to get down a solid spectrum of vocal ranges that are unique and on key.  Just trying to improve my musicianship and singing. 

Again, I always get the best honest feedback here, thanks!

For me its always been about style and originality.  Not what you play but how you play it.
#5May 30th, 2011 · 01:00 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Hillbilly folk techno
srm2888 wrote…
Yeah sure.  There isn't much sampling going on except at the very end.  Most of the "modern effects" are just VST instruments and midi, so they are actually supposed to be harmonic with the guitar and my voice.  I normally always pan the Vox out from now on because I have a poor recording mechanisms for voice and guitar and when you pan them out it appears more clear.  

I can go way back in the production and pan the vocals in and try that; thanks for the suggestion of changing or deleting the drum loop.  I have taken it into serious consideration after hearing that recommendation then listening to the song.  There is no echo effect on the vocals.  On the second verse it has some distorted effect on one layer of vocals.  Maybe you are talking about the 8 beat measure at thee end I a repeat.

Kings, its going to get worse.  See, I am from Mississippi/Louisiana region. We practically created bluegrasss, blues, rock and roll, and jazz.  I learn more and more from street entertainers in New Orleans so a lot of my guitar is going to go more bluegrass style while I am going to continue to keep the electronic melodies in there.  So hillbilly techno it is and it its going to get worse.  I am still working on my voice trying different things.  If you listen to some of my songs I sing differently.  I am trying to get down a solid spectrum of vocal ranges that are unique and on key.  Just trying to improve my musicianship and singing. 

Again, I always get the best honest feedback here, thanks!

For me its always been about style and originality.  Not what you play but how you play it.

Had another listen re your vox, the bass drum is overpowering in the mix, hence its in center, which is why whenn you tried to pan the vox in the middle it was note clear, bass kills dynamics. It's an easy fix. If you can put each drum on a separate channel you can mix it better. I'm pretty sure your vox will cut through better in the center when you have tweaked the drums
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 30th, 2024 · 6:02 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.