#1May 11th, 2011 · 06:12 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Ten Five

This song is not in a battle

My first attempt of recording with Cubase 5, Midi and Audio.
I'm don't really know what I'm doing...lol, but managed to mix-down and edit in Adobe Audition.
Would like some help with the basics, at one point I was getting loads of pops and clicks and noticed that the midi levels were peaking on the mixer, I altered them which seems to have worked.
What to you think of the sound, does it sound too saturated? - hence I only used basic compression

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 11th, 2011 · 07:37 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
102 posts
Suriname
I always find your sound great! (I only think that sometimes the guitar in the left has a little bit time-troubles, I know, who am I to say hahaha because I'm horrible in hold the right tempo  , but that was something I noticed ) but nice sound man!!!
#3May 12th, 2011 · 02:35 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
OK , I´m gonna take it as a "trial balloon" for exploring ya "Cubase" stuff. Musically it´s not so exiting. cuz the topic is kinda ´hackneyed`in my ears. Of course there are also some discordant notes on the organ.
You asked : "does it sound too saturated? No, it doesn´t , quite the contrary. Panning, eqing and mixing
are fine , but the drums sound somehow beamless, anemic . Exept the cymbals the drums don´t cut through .
Compression on the entire mix could be a lil tighter, needs more "pressure" .
Totalling I think it´s a good result for ya first attempt of using the "big tools". But I can just repeat myself when I say : take more time for ya mixing jobs. Take a few days (weeks) cuz the subjective perception´s gonna change after a time and impressions may differ after a while.
Übung macht den Meister is a german saying, means : Practice makes perfect.
So keep it up, matey.
U . L . I .
#4May 12th, 2011 · 06:04 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
OK , I´m gonna take it as a "trial balloon" for exploring ya "Cubase" stuff. Musically it´s not so exiting. cuz the topic is kinda ´hackneyed`in my ears. Of course there are also some discordant notes on the organ.
You asked : "does it sound too saturated? No, it doesn´t , quite the contrary. Panning, eqing and mixing
are fine , but the drums sound somehow beamless, anemic . Exept the cymbals the drums don´t cut through .
Compression on the entire mix could be a lil tighter, needs more "pressure" .
Totalling I think it´s a good result for ya first attempt of using the "big tools". But I can just repeat myself when I say : take more time for ya mixing jobs. Take a few days (weeks) cuz the subjective perception´s gonna change after a time and impressions may differ after a while.
Übung macht den Meister is a german saying, means : Practice makes perfect.
So keep it up, matey.
U . L . I .

I listened to the track in my car this morning and it sounds great, especially at high volume, infact you can really Crank it up...lol. I too thought the drums were not cutting through when listening to it on my logic 2.1 PC speakers, but on a hi-fi system it sounds amazing.  You know U.L.I. there is no such thing as a wrong note, particularly in Jazz, when soloing you can go mental on your solo, which is what I did...lol... so long as it relates to the overall feel of the music it is perfectly acceptable. Try listening to some of John Coltrane's late stuff, very advanced improvisation, man it's heavier than anything I've heard, I don't personally understand it, but many Jazz pro's think it's the best.
#5May 14th, 2011 · 02:16 PM
5 threads / 2 songs
10 posts
United States of America
Yeah!!! "Gonna keep on tryin'

Till I reach my highest ground"

Cant help but be reminded of

Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder!

This is done so very well theres

not much else to say about it...

Good Show!
#6May 15th, 2011 · 03:16 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
:heart: that organ
1. great playing! (as usual), loved the organ!
2. the sound on my mon's was nice.., but drums bit weak though, read your post, checked on my hifi..,    bit of a disappointment, sorry, just being honest about it 
especially drums(base and snare) and bass, not deeeep....
3.its very well done for first attempt, i can see why you were happy, everything is clearly audible, its just a tiny thin and slightly 'middy' to me
Just would want (and expect) more warmth, depth, and liveness...sort of. LOL
4. great playing man!

i have quite some experience with cubase SX and lately with 5.1 and i love it, if needed i can think with you anytime
-try ASIO4ALL as free soundcard 'intermediar', i think it will reduce the pops and clicks a lot
-if the drums are on 1 midi track, try to get the base and snare on separate tracks, so you can eq/level them personally...
#7May 15th, 2011 · 04:33 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: :heart: that organ
MaxdB wrote…
1. great playing! (as usual), loved the organ!
2. the sound on my mon's was nice.., but drums bit weak though, read your post, checked on my hifi..,    bit of a disappointment, sorry, just being honest about it 
especially drums(base and snare) and bass, not deeeep....
3.its very well done for first attempt, i can see why you were happy, everything is clearly audible, its just a tiny thin and slightly 'middy' to me
Just would want (and expect) more warmth, depth, and liveness...sort of. LOL
4. great playing man!

i have quite some experience with cubase SX and lately with 5.1 and i love it, if needed i can think with you anytime
-try ASIO4ALL as free soundcard 'intermediar', i think it will reduce the pops and clicks a lot
-if the drums are on 1 midi track, try to get the base and snare on separate tracks, so you can eq/level them personally...

Appreciate your honesty Max, I thought the snare cut through well, yeah you can't hear the Bass drum very well, and yeah I could have searched for a Bass sounding patch for the Bass, was too excited it getting down I suppose. The drums I used were from Ezdrummer Funkmaster, not used em before, I'll have to check on if there is a different Bass Drums I could use, or use some decent compressor to get more punch and depth, funny I love the bass drum on the Ezdrummer vintage kit, but I don't like the snare, if I could only swap them around I could have the perfect kit.
I've got Cubase working nice now, this recording was with built in soundcard, I'm pretty sure it will sound better now with the Audiophile 2496 installed, well it seems that way.
I've got Asio4all installed, it performs similar to that of the Delta one, although there are some settings on the Asio4 all I don't understand. Eventually I'll upgrade to a Firewire interface
Cheers
#8May 15th, 2011 · 05:55 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Ten Five
hi denis ........great track .........just sounds flat .......... like all trax ''equalled/flattened'' out
GREAT PLAYING!!!!!!!!
but nowt zooms in or out.........like 60s trax did or used to did
no assault on the lugs here.......lose control!!! PLEEEEZE
flying organs with mad pan and wizzy cabs needed
plus maybe flangey stuff for 60s feel

haha
mad bugger
60s CRAY-fish

u will get that but no-one else i bet??
#9May 15th, 2011 · 06:26 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
hi Denis
Very retro cruisey piece  personally like the grooving organ bass  (can we have a tad of growl or OD??)  and chilled breaks lines sweet playing too classic.
yeah Maybe kick those drums about for a bit of a lift and subtle push here and there
Seriously tho tackling the high end recording programs hats off to you .
Lift off

Picture a van with boards heading up the coast for summer break
nice work mate
greg
#10May 15th, 2011 · 06:31 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
that soundcard explains it all, too bad for asio4all 
I have everything checked 'off' except for my I/O channels, double click those for the 2nd level button for the same channel !
- you could try just copying the drumtrack and delete the hihats etc, think EZdr. is multi-timbral..(more midi tracks to the same VST), not sure,
if not so then you would have to load it 2 or 3 times (F11), see if your PC runs that...

btw, i was mostly challenging you to get more out of cubase, it doesnt sound that bad the snare does cut through, maybe i just dont like the sound ..
#11May 16th, 2011 · 11:00 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
that soundcard explains it all, too bad for asio4all 
I have everything checked 'off' except for my I/O channels, double click those for the 2nd level button for the same channel !
- you could try just copying the drumtrack and delete the hihats etc, think EZdr. is multi-timbral..(more midi tracks to the same VST), not sure,
if not so then you would have to load it 2 or 3 times (F11), see if your PC runs that...

btw, i was mostly challenging you to get more out of cubase, it doesnt sound that bad the snare does cut through, maybe i just dont like the sound ..

Yeah I've worked out how to multi-track Ezdrummer with cubase another youTube tutorial - I love you tube. First you go to the EzDrummer mixer, right click on one of the tracks,select multi outputs or similar, then open the VST window from drop down on cubase and tick one of the selections, can't remember what it's called. 
All seems OK now, but would like to see the limitation of it -time will tell.
I love members who critique, especially when I'm taking on something new like Cubase 5.
What type of snare do you think would sound nice, if it's available I'll try it.
I didn't really spend much time on the mix, just taking it one step at a time.
Cheers
#12May 16th, 2011 · 11:11 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: Ten Five
swordfish wrote…
hi denis ........great track .........just sounds flat .......... like all trax ''equalled/flattened'' out
GREAT PLAYING!!!!!!!!
but nowt zooms in or out.........like 60s trax did or used to did
no assault on the lugs here.......lose control!!! PLEEEEZE
flying organs with mad pan and wizzy cabs needed
plus maybe flangey stuff for 60s feel

haha
mad bugger
60s CRAY-fish

u will get that but no-one else i bet??

I like the pick of the ladies, so retro - a lot yougsters these days love retro, many of the retro stuff are collectables now and worth money, and much more in years to come. So keep hold of anything retro you have that looks decent.

The good old Cray Twins eh - I'm sure some of the members have heard of them, some of my friends parents new of them in a round about sort of a way.

I'm very new to Cubase or any PC recording software, many of you know that I've been using a standalone recorder for the past 5 years and before that a tape job - Hmmm could try some retro recording...ha ha
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 8:13 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.