#1May 3rd, 2011 · 10:39 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Straight Line

This song is not in a battle

This was fun, was quite simple to put together, I just laid down the Bass line first, then built up around it. I was hoping to find some Vocal samples to put in places, but can't find any free ones.

First recording with Tenor Sax - put through a Ribbon mic and tube preamp.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 3rd, 2011 · 02:48 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
102 posts
Suriname
Nice!! Nice intro! And what the thing is, every thing is compleet, ther are no empty spaces! everything is there!
#3May 5th, 2011 · 03:20 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
A funky Denis is a new Denis 
Yo , think this is a nice basic sketch for a jazzy funk track. I like the bass sound. Tight and crisp.
If you´re going to work out some various chords , some melodic variations thisone can become a nice fusion track.
In any case your fun is audible on this piece.
U . L . I .
#4May 5th, 2011 · 05:48 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
A funky Denis is a new Denis 
Yo , think this is a nice basic sketch for a jazzy funk track. I like the bass sound. Tight and crisp.
If you�re going to work out some various chords , some melodic variations thisone can become a nice fusion track.
In any case your fun is audible on this piece.
U . L . I .

You have given me something to focus on - FUSION - Now I've got midi set-up, midi keyboard etc
Cheers U.L.I. 
#5May 5th, 2011 · 03:24 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Listened a few times now ... tis a very funky bass sound, very groovy, I do like the main funky rhythm a lot but I'm not so hot on the sax

My missus says you sound like Manu Dibango ... I think you sound very much like Denis !
#6May 5th, 2011 · 04:57 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Listened a few times now ... tis a very funky bass sound, very groovy, I do like the main funky rhythm a lot but I'm not so hot on the sax

My missus says you sound like Manu Dibango ... I think you sound very much like Denis !

Thank your Mrs for listening.
I'm not happy with the sound recording of the Sax either, it sounds too flat, think it's the Ribbon mic, but could experiment with EQ. Next time I'll try a standard condenser mic, they producer a much brighter sound, the Ribbon mic may sound better on blues??
#7May 5th, 2011 · 11:19 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
I know you like to do your mix's like this, where everything is bright, full and upfront but personally I think the 'bass' intrudes too much in the mix. Especially the top end (plucking and slapping noise), I would keep the same volume just make it a bit less plucky and just keep the bottom end boom.

This would also add to the reason why the lead instruments (sax and guitar solo) sound flat. I think just in general the lead instruments should always be a bit brighter than the backing instruments (except maybe the drums) but you seem to put everything bright.

And yeah, the ribbon mic probably won't give you as bright a sound as a modern condenser and will generally sound out of place if you use the ribbon mic only on the sax like in this case. Back in the days the ribbon mic was typically used on vox and drums (love it on drums).

All really depends on personal preference though, so it's really up to the creator in the end
#8May 6th, 2011 · 08:18 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Chill wrote…
I know you like to do your mix's like this, where everything is bright, full and upfront but personally I think the 'bass' intrudes too much in the mix. Especially the top end (plucking and slapping noise), I would keep the same volume just make it a bit less plucky and just keep the bottom end boom.

This would also add to the reason why the lead instruments (sax and guitar solo) sound flat. I think just in general the lead instruments should always be a bit brighter than the backing instruments (except maybe the drums) but you seem to put everything bright.

And yeah, the ribbon mic probably won't give you as bright a sound as a modern condenser and will generally sound out of place if you use the ribbon mic only on the sax like in this case. Back in the days the ribbon mic was typically used on vox and drums (love it on drums).

All really depends on personal preference though, so it's really up to the creator in the end

Thanks, I would like to experiment with it, hence I've never recorded slap Bass, but I'm pretty certain that with slap Bass bass is genrally bright, but that's not to say a Bass played in standard teqnique would sound better, it may be also sound better with more compression.
Yes I think on the tenor, as it's a melow sounding instrument would sound better with a standard condenser mic, but I'll try some EQ, it won't make a great deal of difference imo, however it will create some separation.

I actually got the ribbon for Violin, I've tried it on the Violin,  it does sound nice, Violins can sound harsh with a normal mic, so the ribbon mic smooths it out.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 18th, 2024 · 10:55 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.