#1February 6th, 2011 · 12:26 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Mental Trap (2.0 version)

This song is not in a battle

Re-recorded and renewed version.

Since I'm planning to release my first album by the end of this summer I wanted to include my first prog song but the original recording was really bad (specially the guitars) so I just did almost everything again.

Used Addictive Drums, a real bass (not MIDI), my POD for the guitars, included some hammond and synth arrangements and did the vocals again, adding some new voices. From the original I just kept the clean guitars and the intro solo (which I love and I just can't play again).

Let's me know what you think. Including any mixing details you may find that you think I should change/improve.

OH, IMPORTANT: I just wonder what's your opinion: should I open the album with this song or with Lost Path?

Cheers.

> Iszil

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 6th, 2011 · 01:41 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Yeah Addictive drums really go with your/this style. Easy on the rolls, some sound too quick/not playable by a human.
Not sure about how the drums start with just Bass drum, I felt it should have a full kit, but perhaps lower in dynamic range, then build it up in the next section.
Also something not right with the Bass, the tone not quite right, not sure what to suggest here, depends how you recorded it I suppose?

Rock Opera - Man you worked your but on this - Great songwritting.

And yeah this would make a great opening track to your album
#3February 7th, 2011 · 04:50 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Great work again , Iszil .
Your compositions are voluminous , epic , large & clever built up. In fact .
I heard some tiny voice shakiness . Needs lil voice pitch .            Long live autotune ....haha:razz: 
Liked much the layered vox at 5:12 . How about to use a "de-esser " ?
Can´t say something about an opening track , because both are applicative to start your album .
Depends on how many tracks you wanna put on the album and the dramaturgy of it .
It´s hard to decide oneself for a succsession of pieces on an album .
When I had to decide I asked friends of mine to make a list of trax they´d like to hear in a favourised order . It helped me to extract 10 trax  of an assortment of more than 20 . Also the comments to my uploads from ya´ll
were so helpful . 
Keep it up
U . L . I .
#4February 7th, 2011 · 12:05 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
@Denis:
There are some crazy rolls, I know, but I'm pretty sure a fast drummer could do that.
About the drums pattern at the beginning, I thought maybe adding a hi-hat when the synth starts could build better the climax to what's coming.
The bass sound is not ideal basically because the strings are like 4 years old and they sound really "dead". Anyway I'm playing with the Eqs to get a better sound.

@ULI:
I'm aware that my voice weakens at some points but I kind like it not to be so perfect... I'm quite a big fan of Björk, If you know what I mean.
Also, I used a De-esser but it seems I didn't do it right. Now I set it properly and sounds better.

Thank you both for the feedback.

The album structure is like this:
- 1st track: This song or Lost Path, both quite long (9 to 10 minutes).
- 2nd track: A short prog song with a more "comercial" structure.
- 2rd track: Lost Path or this (probably LP will go here).
- 4th track: Velvet Feathers (changing the mood completly with a short and kind ethnic instrumental).
- 5th track: Faith (that's not the definitve name) which is a 15 minutes piece, devided if 5 movements.

It's just 5 songs but it will last abot 45 minutes.

Cheers.

> Iszil
#5February 21st, 2011 · 01:00 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Geez...That was quite an awesome ride..Ive been listening to it for some time and I have to say this is one hell of a track!!!!! tx for the share..! BTW great gt playing!
#6February 21st, 2011 · 09:03 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Mental Trap (2.0 version)
Iszil wrote…

Since I'm planning to release my first album by the end of this summer I wanted to include my first prog song but the original recording was really bad (specially the guitars) so I just did almost everything again.

Used Addictive Drums, a real bass (not MIDI), my POD for the guitars, included some hammond and synth arrangements and did the vocals again, adding some new voices. From the original I just kept the clean guitars and the intro solo (which I love and I just can't play again).

Let's me know what you think. Including any mixing details you may find that you think I should change/improve.

OH, IMPORTANT: I just wonder what's your opinion: should I open the album with this song or with Lost Path?

Cheers.

> Iszil

as i hear it ...........and im gonna be very true on this one
the solo guitar at start needs to stand out more in the mix ....away from the drone .... its great but falls into the mush... its centre pan with everything else.....
so remix it to make dynamic happy .....its a long noodle.....make it great ... cos it aint
.....yet
into rhythm ........ synth in the stereo middle ........ again make it travel.........

heavy stuff starts ....... i cant go there haha

relax.......vocs....v nice i can hear every word ... just
i rewind to listen again

for me its just a ------ how to liven up the mix thru separation .....

it feels ''all through the middle''

bugger me youve just gone cool ........ as i hear it...........come back .......come back ....

now its push sounds .......

u are screwin with mith my head???

ok i get it its a MENTAL TRAP!!!!

hahaha

FANTASTIC!!!!!
#7February 21st, 2011 · 09:11 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: Mental Trap (2.0 version)
swordfish wrote…
Iszil wrote…

Cheers.

> Iszil

as i hear it ...........and im gonna be very true on this one
the solo guitar at start needs to stand out more in the mix ....away from the drone .... its great but falls into the mush... its centre pan with everything else.....
so remix it to make dynamic happy .....its a long noodle.....make it great ... cos it aint
.....yet
into rhythm ........ synth in the stereo middle ........ again make it travel.........

heavy stuff starts ....... i cant go there haha

relax.......vocs....v nice i can hear every word ... just
i rewind to listen again

for me its just a ------ how to liven up the mix thru separation .....

it feels ''all through the middle''

bugger me youve just gone cool ........ as i hear it...........come back .......come back ....

now its push sounds .......

u are screwin with mith my head???

ok i get it its a MENTAL TRAP!!!!

hahaha

FANTASTIC!!!!!

big piece .... I GET IT BUT ONLY COS I LISTENED  TO ALL........MANY TIMES!!! HAHA

FFFFFFANTASTIC WORK!!!!
EPIC!!!!

took me while to get it ..

Im an IDIOT

the whole thing  ............ is the thing ......!!!
#8February 22nd, 2011 · 07:10 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Great job on this rework definately!

Requires just a little more polish on the vox mixing, though clearly audible, low in the mix but some sharp frequencies in there... And as the fish mentioned, seperation, put keys to one side, rhythm guitars to the other - make this stereo wide!

Hmm maybe a bit more "dynamics" - a lot is going on but feels like the final mix is compressed flat, especially on the drums this affects the kick - I can hear it but where's the "boomp" and the clean guitars could be more prominently heard IMO.

thats all just what I hear from the mix,

No comments other than praise on virtuosity and composition btw that's all excellent!

I'd start with "Lost Path" though as the title is more fitting to an album opener (only to find one "trapped" half way thru the album) but that doesn't matter much
#9March 25th, 2011 · 05:03 PM
26 threads / 26 songs
80 posts
United Kingdom
Mental Trap
That was one truly superb monumental song. As for starting your album with this I suggest putting it on every track.
Amazing
WillyBob
#10March 26th, 2011 · 04:39 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
PuppetXeno wrote…
Great job on this rework definately!

Hmm maybe a bit more "dynamics" - a lot is going on but feels like the final mix is compressed flat, especially on the drums this affects the kick - I can hear it but where's the "boomp" and the clean guitars could be more prominently heard IMO.

to Puppet:
I am nót at all doubting your opinion its just that i am busy/interested with this stuff and i like to help Isz anytime with these great epics  !

I checked this song on the free TT Dynamic Range meter and it scored a 9, which is good.
the guys from TT aim at 8
there might have been over compression in the mixing stage is all i want to say.

interested in dynamics? :
http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/
free download!
#11January 29th, 2012 · 02:40 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
9 posts
United States of America
very nice arrangement. love all the changes, i agree with everyone about drums, are u separating the kits pieces in your mix or letting addictive control all through a single track? i feel its important to separate parts of the kit to there own track in the mix. the kick needs more snap and maybe push eq up around 80-100Hz here is a helpful article on mixing drums
http://www.audio-production-tips.com/mixing-drums.html#
otherwise a great song. bravo!!!!
#12December 26th, 2015 · 06:45 AM
14 threads / 12 songs
177 posts
United States of America
Hey this is cool! Lots of different flavors and tempo changes. I love the end too. Im all about the WTF factor. I love yer stuff man. Great job. And yes, this would be a great 1st cut. 

C
#13December 31st, 2015 · 12:04 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I was listening way too much Dream Theater when I wrote this, about 9 years ago.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 2:08 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.