It’s in the battle 2011-03

instrumental guitar piece

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 30th, 2011 · 02:24 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Welcome to bandamp, WarriorTraveler
That is a good premiere here. Pretty decent composition , arrengement ,guitarplay and guitartone.
There´s a high tension all over the track.
Only one small crit : The mix seems a bit unbalanced to me . Git is too much in front in some parts and drums too far ´back `. Would like to hear drums more upfront to give the piece more pressure - for ´buttkicking `-
I know guitarists always wanna hear git loud and in front , but sometimes we forget other instruments should be
emancipated.
Overall like this piece.
Question : are you a band or is it all you doing this ?
U.L.I.
#3January 30th, 2011 · 02:29 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
32 posts
United States of America
Thanks for the warm welcome, and yes it's all me...which I'm afraid does account for the "drum neglect" :p (I wish I had a drummer living in my closet 24/7 cuz I HATE programming drums LOL.)

It's helpful to have others point that out though...

Thanks for listening, still learning my way around so feel free to suggest some good stuff to listen to

-Bill
#4January 30th, 2011 · 02:40 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
re: Thanks :D
WarriorTraveler wrote…
I HATE programming drums LOL.)
me too   
#5January 30th, 2011 · 03:25 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Nice work! Smoky, ethereal. I like the selection of instruments and sounds in this piece; ULI has a good point about bringing the drums up in the mix....it might give the piece even better dynamics. Otherwise, I dig it!
#6January 30th, 2011 · 07:19 PM
3 threads / 2 songs
9 posts
United States of America
I like to program drums. You need some done let me know.
#7January 31st, 2011 · 06:09 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Welcome to bandAMP

Great composition, I've listened to all your stuff, good versatility and general songwriting skills.

I think the drums are OK, just need to work on the tone of the Bass, lower the lowest frequencies until you you hear the rest of the mix cut through, transparent. How are you recording the Bass?

Don't forget your votes ampers, this one is in the battle
#8January 31st, 2011 · 10:47 AM
2 threads / 1 songs
32 posts
United States of America
Good advice
I'm going to try that on one of my current projects...

thank you for the kind words, I'm running the Bass direct into a pre amp/proccessor and then into the DAW. A little bit of EQ and compression.

I try to use my fingers for a good fat "rubbery" tone, and I tend to back off the tone control on the bass itself to get the kind of bass sound I like. I hate the sound of a bass played with a pick, but on faster things I honestly have trouble keeping up with great accuracy, so the pick will come out. When that happens, I back off the tone on the bass guitar even more...not sure what I did on this one, I'd have to open the original project and isolate the track and listen to be sure, but I think I played with my fingers.
#9January 31st, 2011 · 11:15 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I like this one.....a lot.
This is a beautiful piece of music .....

There's a lot of bass coming through.... a little hard on the old ear drums.
But that Zeppelin rhythm tinkling away through it all .... yumm yumm !

You need to get that drummer of yours out of the closet !
Though I love the drum track, a real one would just make it SOOO good

Yes...too much bass .... bloody excellent track.   

O yes and a Wilkom to you too !   
#10January 31st, 2011 · 11:36 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Good advice
WarriorTraveler wrote…
I'm going to try that on one of my current projects...

thank you for the kind words, I'm running the Bass direct into a pre amp/proccessor and then into the DAW. A little bit of EQ and compression.

I try to use my fingers for a good fat "rubbery" tone, and I tend to back off the tone control on the bass itself to get the kind of bass sound I like. I hate the sound of a bass played with a pick, but on faster things I honestly have trouble keeping up with great accuracy, so the pick will come out. When that happens, I back off the tone on the bass guitar even more...not sure what I did on this one, I'd have to open the original project and isolate the track and listen to be sure, but I think I played with my fingers.

Do you have a Hi Independence level or instrument input for your pre, if you are already using it, try and lower the bass eq  at source, It's quite common to roll them off, experiment at different levels until you find the one that works. It's funny when you are monitoring the bass through headphones (depends on the quality), there is a tendency to record it too fat), it's not until you monitor through speakers/monitors that you notice.
Yeah  I prefer to listen bass played with fingers, get a better feel sound as well as better sound.
#11January 31st, 2011 · 12:07 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
32 posts
United States of America
Bass
My preamp is an integrated Zoom signal processor, an MRS 1608 to be exact, which I have recorded a lot of music on, but now is basically in semi-retirement as I only use it to send all my audio input to my Mac. There are several presets available for each instrument as far as amp/cab simulators, etc. and all very tweakable.

I have certain bass presets that sound decent for thrash metal and different ones for milder styles...

One of my biggest problems is using compression effectively. I hate "over compression" and that's usually how it sounds to me no matter what settings I use. Limiters tick me off too.

I'm also seriously lacking a decent set of studio monitors which I plan to rectify very soon.

I also have yet to invest in an actual firewire interface.
People look at me like I have bananas growing out of my ears when I tell them I'm just running my signal direct into the audio input in the back of my computer

-Bill
#12January 31st, 2011 · 03:14 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: Bass
WarriorTraveler wrote…
People look at me like I have bananas growing out of my ears when I tell them I'm just running my signal direct into the audio input in the back of my computer

-Bill
"Hey Bill, you still got that thing that looks like a banana growing out of your ear?"
                                                                                            'Far Side'

#13January 31st, 2011 · 07:19 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
32 posts
United States of America
lmao
#14February 3rd, 2011 · 12:06 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
22 posts
Japan
I really like this composition. The acoustic guitar has an appropriate sparkle and the overall clarity of the song is fantastic. And even though it's not immediately interesting, but definitely serves as a wonderful background piece. (All I can think of is the original StarCraft when listening to this.)

However, I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon here.... the drums.

When listening critically, I'm a bit particular about acoustic consistency. Unfortunately, fake drums always seem to sound -- incredibly fake. It's a sad truth. Like you mentioned above: wouldn't it be nice if we could have a drummer living in our closet.
#15March 28th, 2011 · 11:10 PM
1 posts
China
Nice!
I liked this piece until the lead guitar comes in....
It's laid back up to that point...I was thinking
some nice violin lead to keep it soft......
No matter, I enjoyed it!!!!
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 10:31 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.