#1January 24th, 2011 · 02:44 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Retainium Demo_V1

This song is not in a battle

So here is what we are working on so far...
This was a quick recording of the BEGINNING of an 8+ minute song we are working on called Retainium. The guitar is very 'loud' at the end and I just threw together some crap because this is just a demo. We are going to be starting from scratch in a few days and getting everything as close to perfect as we can. This is what the beginning should sound like.

The piano (so essentially the whole song) was written by Jesse, and me and him are working on quite a lot of other songs too. We play live really great but recording takes forever and can be a pain.

We'll try and get this song completed within a week or two.
Thanks!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 25th, 2011 · 03:29 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
It's got potential, I think you need more melody to accompany the piano other than at 2.15 and or some synth effects/or similar in a few selected places. I'm not fond of the Piano tone, sounds too Midi to me.

Work on your timing too - Practice practice practice.
#3January 25th, 2011 · 02:53 PM
9 threads / 8 songs
30 posts
United States of America
To me this sounds like a fantastic start to something that will come together.  I really like the idea and direction you're going with it.  Around 1:30 it gets kind of muddy - like some other instruments or something.  Might be good to fire up a click track or even put in a simple drum loop to keep some timing too.

I like that chord change at 2:20 - I wasn't expecting it.

Reminds me of stuff I record - you know like you will sit at a piano and just record a bunch of stuff and see what sticks?  Get it into a song structure and I think it would kick some solid butt.

Brian
#4January 26th, 2011 · 08:57 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Hey thanks for listening guys!
Denis: I hate the piano tone too but I dont know what to do to make it sound ANY better. Its just a Casio WK-3300 (i believe its WK...i;ll check later...) and I just found the most decent sounding piano tone on the casio istelf and plugged it into my mixer which is plugged into the computer and then just pressed record. (Im recording in this program called Reaper.)
What can I do to get a better piano sound out of a digital piano like I have? thanks! 
#5January 27th, 2011 · 10:08 PM
9 threads / 9 songs
64 posts
Australia
If you are recording in MIDI for the keyboard, then you easily quantize it afterwards (will fix any timing issues), and also use any plugin piano you like. There are whole bunch out there. My favourite is Lounge Lizard at the moment.

The musical idea is really nice. I could easily relax to this. Hope you get some better recording happening. Just exploit the features of a MIDI keyboard: unlimited customisation 
#6January 31st, 2011 · 12:30 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
TheKunadiun wrote…
Hey thanks for listening guys!
Denis: I hate the piano tone too but I dont know what to do to make it sound ANY better. Its just a Casio WK-3300 (i believe its WK...i;ll check later...) and I just found the most decent sounding piano tone on the casio istelf and plugged it into my mixer which is plugged into the computer and then just pressed record. (Im recording in this program called Reaper.)
What can I do to get a better piano sound out of a digital piano like I have? thanks!  :D

Craig plug in the keyboard to your computer and then record MIDI in REAPER!

Once you've recorded the MIDI then you select a VST Instrument to change the sound of the keyboard, and plus you can quantize the performance as the guy above me mentioned (too lazy to switch screens to find out name)
#7April 26th, 2011 · 06:00 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Finish that up!
#8April 27th, 2011 · 01:11 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I can't believe we did this January and its April already  where does the time go?
We've completely finished writing the entire song, complete with lyrics and it sounds much more full and "like a song" now so as soon as we get a chance to record and if I can correctly figure out the MIDI mumbo jumbo it should be done soon
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 8:48 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.