#1December 22nd, 2010 · 10:37 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
O Holy Night

This song is not in a battle

Well first of all, I should say I'm not really a religious person. I just happen to love this song. It stirs something deep in me and I love to hear the different interpretations of it rendered by various artists around this time of year. Perhaps its the swelling choruses, or the chordal arrangements. Maybe the time I spent in church when I was a kid had something to do with it after all. But more than anything, this song  means Christmas to me. It inspires awe. Now I don't pretend to suggest this rendition will inspire awe. Not at all. In fact, this one is pretty flawed. I don't play much at all these days, and I am a complete novice as a singer. I basically had to re-learn how to do everything all over again with this song (re-learn how to play guitar, bass,drums, etc,  how to use my recorder, how to do basically everything). That means I made so many mistakes, I had to do countless patches and "punch-ins" (you'll hear them everywhere). I finally had to give up because I ran out of time (I'm going out of town tomorrow and I wanted to post this on Bandamp tonight before I left). This is my Christmas offering...warts and all...maybe I'll do it better when I get time....anyway, here it is....Merry Christmas, guys!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 23rd, 2010 · 03:38 AM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: O Holy Night
battlecat wrote…
Well first of all, I should say I'm not really a religious person. I just happen to love this song. It stirs something deep in me and I love to hear the different interpretations of it rendered by various artists around this time of year. Perhaps its the swelling choruses, or the chordal arrangements. Maybe the time I spent in church when I was a kid had something to do with it after all. But more than anything, this song  means Christmas to me. It inspires awe. Now I don't pretend to suggest this rendition will inspire awe. Not at all. In fact, this one is pretty flawed. I don't play much at all these days, and I am a complete novice as a singer. I basically had to re-learn how to do everything all over again with this song (re-learn how to play guitar, bass,drums, etc,  how to use my recorder, how to do basically everything). That means I made so many mistakes, I had to do countless patches and "punch-ins" (you'll hear them everywhere). I finally had to give up because I ran out of time (I'm going out of town tomorrow and I wanted to post this on Bandamp tonight before I left). This is my Christmas offering...warts and all...maybe I'll do it better when I get time....anyway, here it is....Merry Christmas, guys!

Hi Battlecat ............. truly appreciate your work here!!!! It slowly builds ..... I swear u sound a bit like ELVIS himself!!!!.... Merry Christmas ... I loved it!!!!!

Swordfish
#3December 23rd, 2010 · 04:40 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
  Yeah !!!! Great to see you back on your gear to bring up something like this , Elvis....ääähh....Cat.
Usually I´m far away from all this xmas stuff , but I think it´s a pretty unconventional Xmas song.
Can imagine it´s played on a german "Weihnachtsmarkt"  with "Bratwust und Glühwein".  .   
Yeah , nice imagination 
Merry Xmas and luck and healthiness 
U.L.I.

#4December 23rd, 2010 · 09:58 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Very nice job Battle.. I have always loved this song myself...I really like your voice..very distinct ...
#5December 24th, 2010 · 03:00 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
91 posts
Argentina
Hey, I'm not exactly a religious person either, but that song has a lot of feeling in it and I do like your version very much. It's true that you do sound like Elvis
#6December 25th, 2010 · 04:44 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Wonderful voice and a wonderful piece. Thank you BC.
#7December 25th, 2010 · 08:32 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Xmas song without bells! great, i love it, and i dont love Xmas at all :P
Your voice is strong here, love the choruses!
didn't hear mistakes or punch-ins, its not important, its a beautiful song, i never heard it before

gonna listen some more, its better then the choirs on TV

PS. my gf is a choir singer and loves it too (she's is singing second voice on it now )

GREAT job! especially with the given circumstances of finding out how etc.

the cats will love it 
#8December 26th, 2010 · 01:21 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Thanks, everyone for your kind reviews. I hope your holidays were peaceful and joyous!
#9December 26th, 2010 · 05:27 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Right! I've listened loads to this over the past festive days, it's been very fitting.
First things first...you dont half write some crap about your self!

This is excellent, beautiful, filled with peace and light.

The out of practice bit I can hear in the slight vibrato...but you keep all tones and take it further.....your just out of practice...cough! cough!

love it every time I listen....though in about an hour I'll be singing "Like a bridge over troubled waters I lay me down....." ..... classic stuff!
#10December 26th, 2010 · 09:55 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
kings wrote…
Right! I've listened loads to this over the past festive days, it's been very fitting.
First things first...you dont half write some crap about your self!

This is excellent, beautiful, filled with peace and light.

The out of practice bit I can hear in the slight vibrato...but you keep all tones and take it further.....your just out of practice...cough! cough!

love it every time I listen....though in about an hour I'll be singing "Like a bridge over troubled waters I lay me down....." ..... classic stuff!
Lol...Thanks, Kings!
#11February 28th, 2011 · 01:57 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Wow, very nice indeed!

I must admit that I am not very familiar with the original, though there was somehting in here evoking distant memories.. I am not religious either and that makes me struggle with the lyrics, they are pretty damn disturbing from a mental health-wise point of view, but your vocal delivery is really good, perhaps not as smooth, but certainly as tender as Elvis indeed. And even though you say your instruments are rusty, you did a great job recording and mixing them, the end result being a nicely put together track, a touching listening experience worthy of an old fashioned family christmas gatherin indeed.

So I'm two months late better late than never, no?

Cheers
#12February 28th, 2011 · 01:01 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Thanks, Pup! Based on previous conversations you and I have had about such things I definitely see what you mean about the lyric content and I agree. I appreciate your review (and the kind complements!) Merry Christmas!
#13February 28th, 2011 · 03:35 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
PuppetXeno wrote…
I must admit that I am not very familiar with the original

Didn't Cartman do the original : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ccTnKZWKQw  ?
#14February 28th, 2011 · 06:17 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
kings wrote…
PuppetXeno wrote…
I must admit that I am not very familiar with the original

Didn't Cartman do the original : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ccTnKZWKQw  ?

...and quite a magnificent version this is....(but Cartman can do SO much better..ever heard him sing "The Morning After" by Maureen McGovern?)
#15July 20th, 2011 · 09:59 PM
28 threads / 28 songs
95 posts
United States of America
Had to come back for a second listen! Good stuff man 
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 2:38 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.