15 threads / 15 songs
48 posts
Sweden
Captivated

This song is not in a battle

Hey guys.
This is a song I've been working on, and which I now
consider finished..(?)
I'd love some constructive criticism on the recording itself.
I've never done a "full song" like this before, with a full instrument rack and
panning left/right etc. so I'm very curious about how it sounds to you.

Thank you

// Adam

I need a pair of eyes to drown in
and a place to find myself
and I want a sky with clouds that I
can fall from and a parachute of love

I need a pair of arms to hide in
to hold me and never let go
and I want you
I want you so desperately
I want your arms forever wrapped around me

and inside your heart
there you can chain me
inside your light
I will forever glow

and it's the way you stair into my eyes
that gets me so captivated

but there's just one thing

I'm scared to believe
I'm scared to be me
to be in a prison cell without you

You're so insecure
so open the door to your heart

I'm sick of you
I'm sick of me
come get me out of here
There is something with my brain

I needed nothing more than you to drown in
it was in you I found myself
and I needed no sky 'cause my heaven was here
and that parachute was you

but you know..

I'm scared to believe
I'm scared to be me
to be in a prison cell without you

You're so insecure
so open the door to your heart

I'm sick of you
I'm sick of me
come get me out of here
There is something with my brain

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 13th, 2010 · 02:43 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
That´s a good ´first attemt` to record a full instrumented song. Ya vox is pretty expressionate, but a bit ´shaky`
in parts. Good dramaturgy of the song . Git arpeggios sounding very well 
Here  some suggestions to improve the mix/mastering :
First of all I would add some presence all over the song to give it more transparency.
Then try out some kinds of reverb for the vox to fill/fatten it up (but use carefully)
Futhermore check some compressor adjustments for mastering because there´s a level discrepancy beetween vox and the rest of instrumetation. In the quite parts the vox is a little ´upfront`. And when the full insrtumentation comes up, the vox looses assertiveness. At last I would say I´m missing some chord changes.
You used only two chords on the complete song , yes? Perhaps next time you give a song more variety by using
different chord progressions.
I´ve  listened to some other songs of you .And I must say: you did a large step from ´acoustic-git-songs`to this big arrangement . Respect!!! My first attempts didn´t sound as well as thisone .
ciao             U . L . I .
#3November 14th, 2010 · 08:54 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
When you have lots of instruments generally it will sound better if they are panned wide, starting from the extreme, experiment with your headphones until you can hear everything clear.
It sounds a bit light in places, difficult to thicken up now, you really wanna try and get it nearly right at source.

Try and keep the reverb balanced, unless it's there to create an effect.

The vox melody in places are too staccato

Ah and it definitely need bass, the drums a barley audible.

Well that's what you asked for hope it helps.

With the dynamics sorted and a bigger sound it will be a nice production
#4November 19th, 2010 · 11:06 PM
15 threads / 15 songs
48 posts
Sweden
Well, I've realized that my biggest problem is that, when I'm in cubase (or Nuendo from now on actually)
I'm using a pair of real "studioheadphones", pretty expensive/good quality.. (eeh....:S) and when I'm in nuendo mixing, it sounds totally different from when I render it out as an mp3 and listen to it with my internal soundcard I have on my computer. (in winamp for example) plus with a different set of headphones... I believe this make totally sense though, but it really bugs me, 'cause when I'm happy with the sound of the track, I render it out, only to find out that it doesn't sound nearly as good outside nuendo/cubase as Inside. maybe this is pretty obvious too but.... eah. yeah like I said, it bugs me.

I have one external soundcard with which I record. and one you know, standard, internal cpu-soundcard, and I know that these two differs a lot in soundquality and so on. but yeah.. hmm.

Is this a common problem?

But anyway, I thank both of you for your feedback, (which I asked for, yes )and I'll try to take it in for my next recording.

Cheers

// Adam
#5November 20th, 2010 · 12:03 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
The difference in output sound quality between the two soundcards you have shouldn't be THAT different.  The onboard "cpu card (as you call it)", although it is a consumer card it should output audio just fine, the main thing that makes consumer cards crap is that during recording they easily pick up interference on the electrical line, and that they have high latency and aren't that "powerful".

The dry vocals sound great at first (and during the quiet parts), but during the louder parts they should have some reverb or chorus or something on them to open them up and let it all loose.  They are a bit high in the mix throughout too (having trouble hearing other instruments).

Great job for first time though.  I know am being super harsh but if someone told me this if I had made this song I would appreciate it
#6November 20th, 2010 · 02:19 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
I'm using a pair of real
heartxposure wrote…
Well, I've realized that my biggest problem is that, when I'm in cubase (or Nuendo from now on actually)
I'm using a pair of real "studioheadphones", pretty expensive/good quality.. (eeh....:S) and when I'm in nuendo mixing, it sounds totally different from when I render it out as an mp3 and listen to it with my internal soundcard I have on my computer. (in winamp for example) plus with a different set of headphones... I believe this make totally sense though, but it really bugs me, 'cause when I'm happy with the sound of the track, I render it out, only to find out that it doesn't sound nearly as good outside nuendo/cubase as Inside. maybe this is pretty obvious too but.... eah. yeah like I said, it bugs me.

I have one external soundcard with which I record. and one you know, standard, internal cpu-soundcard, and I know that these two differs a lot in soundquality and so on. but yeah.. hmm.

Is this a common problem?

But anyway, I thank both of you for your feedback, (which I asked for, yes )and I'll try to take it in for my next recording.

Cheers

// Adam
Tipp: In professional studios there´s nobody doing a mixing job with headphones , ´cause
they can´t "map" the spatial arrengement. You can control  and detect some effects or sound details
but for the complete mix/mastering they use speakers.
Why that? : Everything we hear in real world has the 3-dimensionally physical aspect.to orientate.in space.
And there are vibrations we can feel which makes music a WHOLE ONE  Headphones are mapping
2-dimensional..So it might be wise to invest in a good monitor / Hifi system.
Another problem is that the phones have their "own" sound and when you listen your mix through speakers
it´s sounding completely different. So one asks himself which mix may be the right one .That´s why I don´t use my phones for Mix- and mastering jobs.
Hope it helps
U . L . I .
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 4:53 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.