#1August 30th, 2010 · 04:53 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
The Canterbury Tales

This song is not in a battle

So I had to quickly put together (I only had 2 days to write AND record) this song for school as my teacher wanted to play it for the students to go along with this book old tale thing we had to read called The Canterbury Tales.
I am not completely happy with it and the mix is a bit all over the place but I only had 2 days to record EVERYTHING all by myself so I guess its not too bad, especially if you consider it a 'rough draft'. Also I didnt use a click track or any kind of tempo keeping device so the timing is ALL OVER THE PLACE so yes I know, from now on all my recordings will be done with a metronome or click track.

Very soon will be coming more songs from Walking Stereotype and it will rock.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 30th, 2010 · 06:45 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
Really pretty good considering...  Reminds me a lot of the experimental early Floyd (I know you like that) mixed with a bit of the Amp's own Swordfish style.  You are the man (the man, the man, the man, the man).
....SkunkApe
#3August 31st, 2010 · 02:34 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Interesting arrangement, the song is great, as you said, it just needs polishing up.

Good work
#4August 31st, 2010 · 03:46 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Very creative... A few suggestions from my end...Eq wise and in the stereo field seems like theres some canceling going on making your different ideas loose definition...Some timing and mic pops issues also happening on occasion...Levels get a bit hot towards the guitar solo....All in all the track has a great feeling specially the solo part but some general mix clean up will definitely help organize the track to its full potential.
#5August 31st, 2010 · 06:33 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
It reminded me a lot of the early Rush mixed with early Pink Floyd.
I'm pretty sure you can make a really good prog rock song with this ideas. Just take the locution out and then start to think about this as a song and not something complementary to a story telling, that way you can work with it in a just musical way.
With proper recording and proper arrangements I'm sure this will be a resurrection of the classic old prog.

> Iszil
#6August 31st, 2010 · 09:24 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: The Canterbury Tales
TheKunadiun wrote…
So I had to quickly put together (I only had 2 days to write AND record) this song for school as my teacher wanted to play it for the students to go along with this book old tale thing we had to read called The Canterbury Tales.
I am not completely happy with it and the mix is a bit all over the place but I only had 2 days to record EVERYTHING all by myself so I guess its not too bad, especially if you consider it a 'rough draft'. Also I didnt use a click track or any kind of tempo keeping device so the timing is ALL OVER THE PLACE so yes I know, from now on all my recordings will be done with a metronome or click track.

Very soon will be coming more songs from Walking Stereotype and it will rock.

A CRASH SONG!!!!!!

2 DAYS .......... MAN YOU PULL IT OUT!!!!!

Great thought on the lyrics and crushing them into your music idea .......... the verse (fast one ) is gobsmackingly coooool!!!!
U R A Thinker!!!!!

so the project has really pulled you away from the NORM.... FANTASTIC!!!!!

TOTALLY LOVIN IT

FISH
#7September 1st, 2010 · 01:44 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Well this is certainly a nice project -and indeed seing as you threw it together that fast you got a good sound of it. A bit bootleggy sound at the end from the 60's psychedelic era if you ask me, would've done great on Woodstock (imagine nekkid hippy gals "dancing" up front the stage...  )

yeah there's flaws, but you got creative and you pulled it off, so well done!
#8September 2nd, 2010 · 12:24 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
I love how you manage to mould your lyrics around your song ideas - I've never really been able to do that very well.

The song form is quite interesting and doesn't repeat too much, so that way it is really fresh the whole time.

The spot at some where around 2:00 when it drops down to just the guitar it really reminds me of some 70s rush guitar, like on Something for Nothing, or even on 2112 during the quieter bits.

Anyways cool ideas, but the mix needs a bit of working, and it does get a bit hot at the end there.  ALWAYS use a LIMITER!!!

all around pretty darn awesome for a 2 day project!
#9January 18th, 2011 · 03:28 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Thanks so much for your help and thoughts and comments guys!
I've been listening to all my stuff that I've uploaded to BandAMP and I can truly see that I think my song writing abilities have grown a bit, largely due to all the help from the wonderful people here so I just wanted to say thanks and that more will be coming soon, if I could just find time to record. 
Thanks so much!!!
#10January 18th, 2011 · 05:36 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Listened before ....sorry didn't comment.....
You need to give your vocal more attention....take it as seriously as you have the music......amazing piece of music btw... it becomes 'mind blowing' ! Must be why I didn't comment before!
But your vocal track/s ... the first warm vocal works but it then needs more reverb and echoes especially on the Canterbury Tales chorus.
If you now took another 2 days to tweak the vocal and get it to the same level (literally) as the music you'd have one very cool song on your hands.
#11January 19th, 2011 · 07:22 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Hey thanks for reviewing kings! I know what you mean about the vocals. It takes me a while to get a DECENT vocal track that I like, and I'm not really a singer at all but I think with practice and time I have improved a lot from where I was a few years ago. Still I'd like to take another crack at this song, with different lyrics too. I mean I really like the music part of it but the lyrics are for a school project (mainly ripped directly out of the actually story..because the teacher told me to) so if I had another go at this I think it could be an epic song. 

I might just get rid of the vocals and try recording another track over this already recorded piece of music...no need to do that again unless I go at it with the band....

But yes. The vocals. im not happy with them. im never happy with my vocals usually. But thank you for commenting and I really want them to sound good so i will try. thanks!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 12:10 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.