#1January 28th, 2010 · 07:56 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
HOME AGAIN
Please vote for this song !
Current votes: 10 (needs min. 15)
It’s in the battle 2010-02

A song about going home when things are not as you remember.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 28th, 2010 · 09:17 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I like the guitar line, pretty catchy.
The vocals have too much reverb that makes them sound a bit lost. Little less reverb and more volume would take them to the front.
Nice solo, good guitar tone.

> Iszil
#3January 29th, 2010 · 02:40 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Yeah the guitars are sweet. Best drum mix I've heard from you yet.
Bass is there but have to listen for it, man getting the bass tone is one of the hardest, I take it you've got it through either a HI-Z input or DI?? If you're recording it from an AMP try different mic placements, if so I'd try placing the mic near the edge of the speaker first, then work your way towards the center and the edge of the speaker. Upper mids tend to bring out bass tone.
You could try using echo instead of reverb on the vox, set at no repeats and play around with the settings so that it brings them up front, sometime it's nice to add just a bit of room reverb as well.

Nice job
#4January 29th, 2010 · 03:37 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
Hey thanks for the review..  The vocals have minimal reverb. I can barely hear the FX through my headphones. I am trying to use just enough to make my voice sound a little better without the FX being noticable.
The bass is recorded direct through DigiTech RPX400 again with minimal reverb FX and EQ. I can hear it fairly distinctly through my headphones but playback from BandAmp on my PC speakers I have to listen for it too. I can still hear it well from BandAmp using headphones..... Thanks again for the review....Skunk
#5January 30th, 2010 · 12:41 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
SkunkApe wrote…
Hey thanks for the review..  The vocals have minimal reverb. I can barely hear the FX through my headphones. I am trying to use just enough to make my voice sound a little better without the FX being noticable.
The bass is recorded direct through DigiTech RPX400 again with minimal reverb FX and EQ. I can hear it fairly distinctly through my headphones but playback from BandAmp on my PC speakers I have to listen for it too. I can still hear it well from BandAmp using headphones..... Thanks again for the review....Skunk

The other thing you can do is experiment with how close you are to the mic, the closer you get the more it it will bring them up front, Room acoustics can effect it too. I recently experimented by placing my mic in front of the door where my towely fabric bathrobe is, so that it would block any reflections, amazingly it worked really well.....lol

I'm listening to your song through Logitec PC speakers, which a central bass speaker, spits out 70 watts, I use them for monitoring too. Since you recorded it, it is easy for you to pick out the bass, I sense that the eq is clashing with the rest of the mix, so perhaps if you raised the upper mids for the bass only by say 4 to 6 Db's, it should create more separation.
Edit**

I'm not familiar with DigiTech RPX400 USB effects, since it's a guitar effects unit and digital, it may not be the best for BASS, I'm no expert with it.

I 've got a Line6 guitar pod, witch has a Fender Bassman guitar amp module, hence the AMP was originaly for bass, I've read some review from bass experts who said it not bad.

I think Behringer do a cheap Bass DI, but I've no idea of the quality?
#6January 30th, 2010 · 02:21 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
I think the mix is quite ok....  and like Iszil said I can't see too much verb on the voices... well it's a contemporary situation when you feel something wrong.
The mix at all has a bit of the 70s (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) and is in full range of all frequencies, even the bass line. And to me and my ears there is nothing wrong with it. Hip styles made by current techniques can be heard on MTV and other music channels in these days.
Although if you'd go into a pro studio the song would sound much different then. Maybe you can give it a try. Would be interesting to see what comes out.
The song has an interesting structure, well layered and very natural voices.
Ah yes... the guitar/s... sound/s good.
#7January 31st, 2010 · 07:29 AM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: HOway man its not that bad!!!!!
Now News Of this most sad song soon crossed the seas
and got to the ears
of bowld and brave Sir John

Then Home he came from usa
where queer things had him befell
he drank 10 bottles of Maxim

and things werent so bad....
#8February 1st, 2010 · 01:39 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
I like this SkunkApe.. listening through headphones, all sounds pretty damn clear to me (bass, vox, etc).  I think the mix is ok - no doubt a studio would take it apart and remix like crazy, and everyone on BandAmp would do things slightly differently - but I think it sounds pretty good!
Great song - heartfelt lyrics which are well delivered.
I enjoyed it.
Jim A
#9February 2nd, 2010 · 12:37 AM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
really liked it, mix sounds great to me. I can sense you were going for an old school sounding song as it is a 70's style rock song... did really good job, vocals sound great very well sung really liked it. I noticed the snare was clipping on some hits... its there throughout but if you cant hear it, play the song... the first snare hit is fine then the second one has a bit of clipping then the third one has a lot of clipping. Obviously the suggestion here is to turn down the snare just a touch til it's not clipping.
#10February 4th, 2010 · 06:03 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
Nice work classic sound solid recording and the vocal performance .. very nice indeed.
Agree with Iz the vox could just move  upfront verb wise >wet dry ???
Luve the guits mate .
Listening on creature monitors
greg

rate high
#11February 22nd, 2010 · 11:20 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
sounds real good for home recording.  good job on the vocals,  tight guitar playing.  good solid mix.  Gets a high vote from me.
#12February 24th, 2010 · 06:02 AM
10 threads / 10 songs
30 posts
Slovakia
maaan this song is sweet, should be played in radios!
guitar solo five stars
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 19th, 2024 · 4:31 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.