#1January 27th, 2010 · 08:03 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
21 posts
United Kingdom
High
Please vote for this song !
Current votes: 11 (needs min. 15)
It’s in the battle 2010-02

This is a mid temp rock song really about trying to stay positive after many failed relationships. It's kind of melancholic and ironic in places...
This was recorded on my laptop with Magix Music Maker, an acoustic guitar, keyboard and computer drums, the bass was done from the keyboard. I was trying to get a great distortion sound from the effects on my software and i think I got it. I'm still getting to grips with mixing and production. This is not perfect but i think it's going in the right direction.
Let me know what you think. I'm happy to get any tips from you guys...
You can hear more of my stuff at http://www.reverbnation.com/solebrick

As requested by PinkT, here are the lyrics:

I feel so low tonight
I've seen you go tonight
And I know there's something right
And I know you're wrong tonight, wrong tonight

Cause I feel high tonight

Don't leave me alone tonight
Give me something that I know is right
Don't go out of sight
I know there's got to be there something right, something right

Solo

I know I've lost you now
I know, I don't know how
You're still alive, you're never dead
You're still somewhere inside my head, inside my head

Cause I feel high

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 27th, 2010 · 01:03 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
65 posts
United States of America
I like this song, actually quite a bit. In the beginning I dig the ambient background harmonics. It gives the illusion of space, I myself do the laptop thing. I think you really pulled it off being everything runs through one channel. The wave machine in the intro sets the wrong mood allitle cuz I was thinking cheezy, and then the song blossomed. Mabey find a better sample our use an actual ocean sound recording. Great Job

Aaron Deager
#3January 27th, 2010 · 03:16 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Welcome to BandAMP. where abouts in the UK are you, I'm based in East London.

Pretty good effort considering the equipment you used to record it. It's quite hard to get a distorted sound with an acoustic. I use a workstation for Audio, so I cant crtitique on the production.

Just would have preferred the Vox to sit centre.

It sort of reminds me of Ultravox

Nice one Geezer
#4January 27th, 2010 · 03:20 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Welcome!
Hoping it's not the last song you'll upload to the community....
#5January 27th, 2010 · 06:43 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
21 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback guys. Denis, I'm from Sunderland, up North - almost a Geordie...but not quite  I agree, the vocals should be centre. I did this before I figured out the panning on the software. I've got an upgrade on the Magix software and better laptop, so I'm just getting to grips with that now. I'm sure this will get a remix at some point. Want to get some other recorded - got loads of ideas...
#6February 2nd, 2010 · 06:36 AM
1 posts
United Kingdom
another great track. you should check out his other stuff.
#7February 2nd, 2010 · 03:27 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: High
SoleBrick wrote…
This is a mid temp rock song really about trying to stay positive after many failed relationships. It's kind of melancholic and ironic in places...
This was recorded on my laptop with Magix Music Maker, an acoustic guitar, keyboard and computer drums, the bass was done from the keyboard. I was trying to get a great distortion sound from the effects on my software and i think I got it. I'm still getting to grips with mixing and production. This is not perfect but i think it's going in the right direction.
Let me know what you think. I'm happy to get any tips from you guys...
You can hear more of my stuff at http://www.solebrickmusic.com

First of all Welcome to Bandamp

I LOVE YOUR SOUND...........

happy trippin fish
#8February 5th, 2010 · 01:16 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
Great song. Really well developed and interesting and it's welcomingly trippy. My only small criticism would be that the vocals, particularly the lower harmony, at the very end fall a bit flat. Still great job overall.

Welcome to Bandamp, hope to hear more.
#9February 5th, 2010 · 01:59 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
Nice sound.  Vocals seem a little low in the mix or a little lost in the mix for me but vocal performance is well done.  Or maybe the instruments are a little loud? Also the stereo mix seems one sided at times especially with the vocal track to the left -split it a little more to the right to round out the sound.  Overall a good sounding tune.  Well done.  Oh and Welcome to BandAmp and look forward to hearing ore songs from you!!
#10February 5th, 2010 · 09:38 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I really like the song. Decent vocal presentation, mix is weird to my ears .  drums could use a few more changes. Pretty good overall though for what your using. Like stated above . bring the vox more front and center in the mix, slightly back off on the effects or bury them more in the mix. I love the guitar tones and feel of the guitars. the solo has a real trippy synth feel (phaser?). Since you did the bass with the keys , probably not much you can do about it.  If your good with midi you might try changing up the velocity and slightly offset the hits by just a minute hair to give it a looser more human feel.

overall it's a real good song. the mix is pretty good for what your using.

Listening to this and the last couple of songs makes me glad I'm back on here listening to some original ideas again.

Edit:  oops forgot to vote ..voted
#11February 16th, 2010 · 05:09 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Besides the production the song has a lot of potential. It sounds really good for the little resources you had to make it.
It has a nice distinctive sound, your own touch.
Well done.

> Iszil
#12February 17th, 2010 · 08:17 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
21 posts
United Kingdom
Appreciate the comments....
The production is the main area I need to get more knowledgeable on. I've recently changed recording software and laptop so just getting used to things at the mo. But I'm very open to getting tips on improving the production side of things. Just need to figure out how to get the songs I've previously recorded to upload on to my new software so I can tweak them...
#13February 19th, 2010 · 08:42 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Like the song, vocals, harmonies, guitar work.  Drums a little monotonous - but acceptable.
Others have said most of what there is to say about the mix and recording, so won't go there.
The song construction itself is pretty good too.
I enjoyed listening.
Cheers
Jim A
#14February 21st, 2010 · 05:20 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United States of America
I like it. I think the lyrics are nice and the music is nice. You sang it well, but I can't always hear what the words are, so you may want to sing more clearly or post lyrics
#15December 4th, 2012 · 06:04 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Yea ..... I know how you feel !

Excellent stuff, agree the drum goes on a bit, the hit really ticks out (top right in my speakers), vocals too bottom left !
Yes I know you know ...... is there a better produced version ?

Really like the effect on the the guitar 3:40ish

It does come together fairly nicely at the end though, even if instrument placings are out

This is worth the work of getting it spot on
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 9:37 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.