#1January 22nd, 2010 · 05:13 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Dear Prudence (cover)

This song is not in a battle

The Beatles song. My rendition.
Tried to sound as closer I could to them... at least instrumentally, because the harmonies drove me mad. Before starting this I didn't realize it was going to be that hard to make all the vocals like them. Holding high pitched notes for 10 seconds and stuff like that... insane! So don't expect much from my singing.
The big deal about this (at least for me) is that I played every instrument: drums, bass, keyboard, guitar. And the drums, vocals and piano were recorded with a microphone worse than this:

Funny thing.
Hope you enjoy it.
Feedback welcome, and sorry again for my poor vocals.

> Iszil

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 22nd, 2010 · 06:21 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
A few off notes, I think investing in some sort of pitch correcting program will probably give you some really nice results. Instrumental work is very nice, and very nice harmonies. The vocals are definitely mixed better than the first time you uploaded. I also like the vocal effects better in this one - or are they the same? Sounds better in this one. Nice one.
#3January 22nd, 2010 · 08:49 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Dear Prudence (cover)
Iszil wrote…
The Beatles song. My rendition.
Tried to sound as closer I could to them... at least instrumentally, because the harmonies drove me mad. Before starting this I didn't realize it was going to be that hard to make all the vocals like them. Holding high pitched notes for 10 seconds and stuff like that... insane! So don't expect much from my singing.
The big deal about this (at least for me) is that I played every instrument: drums, bass, keyboard, guitar. And the drums, vocals and piano were recorded with a microphone worse than this:

Funny thing.
Hope you enjoy it.
Feedback welcome, and sorry again for my poor vocals.

> Iszil
As I hear it.........OK
fab bash at harmony
its well stereo spread for guitars.........a i grab my head phones!!!!haha
lovely play again.......................2nd time...I like this time around
soft drums .....NICE!!!!!!harmony cool ......hey this gets better as it grows!!!
Think I'll just say ............. FANTASTIC!!!!!!
NICE ONE IZ!!!!!
strange how the beatles still do it!!
#4January 23rd, 2010 · 05:46 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Yeah Yeah Yeah, those harmonies are FAB FAB FAB.

You have captured the beatles feel really well.

Superb performance considering you did all

Well done!!
#5February 1st, 2010 · 12:59 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I'm still not satisfies with the vocals. Many bad notes in the main voice and the harmonies don't sound good at all.
I've actually thought about using an auto-tune but have no idea how to do it... and anyway it was just something for fun so I'm not working anymore on this.
Thanks for the comments, guys.

> Iszil
#6February 1st, 2010 · 12:10 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
18 posts
Sweden
Hey, this sounds awesome! It really feels like the Beatles. Somewhat trashy sound but still so nice and easy to listen to! The guitar sounds are spot on!! Also the bass reminds one of McCartney!
The only thing I thought of was that the hihat is pretty high in the mix. But after a couple of seconds you get used to it and it fits the song instead. Hah.

Hats off!
#7February 1st, 2010 · 01:21 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
OK, there's a few dodgy vocal notes in here... but I like the way you sing it actually.  You've not gone down the autotune cover-up route, which is good.
The harmonies are very nice indeed.
Stereo spread is extreme! I think I'd be tempted to do less hard panning, but keep the focus as you have.
So the playing, and general quality of the song... well, this is excellent.  Instrumental sounds are spot on, and the recording is top notch.
It's a very good cover, and does the song justice.
Well done Iz

Jim A
#8February 1st, 2010 · 02:57 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
About the hi-hat, well the whole drums were recorded with that shitty microphone so there's not much to do about it... still, I'm kinda impressed of the sound of them considering how it was recorded.
About the panning, I just copied (almost) exactly the panning the Beatles did. They were always really extreme on it. That's one of the qualities I started to like lately about the band; even with all the drums on one side, the bass in another, the guitars here, the piano there and all that weird mixing they did (probably Martin's job) they managed to get that frigging awesome sound. I always felt like not giving too much importance to the panning, but the Beatles made wonders with that tool.

This was more like a tribute so I just wanted to follow their steps because it's basically impossible to sound better than them. I've been listening to them for over 15 years (I'm 21, almost 22) so I thought it was time to do something on their honor. Plus I deviated from them (not completely... never!) about 8 years ago when I started listening a lot of prog rock but now I'm reincorporating the Fav Four to my usual diet. They are gonna be always the best band ever, no matter what else I listen to or what people say.
OK... that was a very long explanation, but they deserve it! That and a more.
Thank you for the feedback. I'll probably record Back in the U.S.S.R soon in the same way.

> Iszil
#9February 1st, 2010 · 03:13 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I enjoyed that, cheers Iz, you right the vocals are hard to hit right, but you do a damn good job of it for someone who says they dont sing. You've got a lovely sound from an amazingly crap mic. Craftsmanship!
#10October 9th, 2010 · 12:43 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
LONG LIVE LENNON!
#11October 11th, 2010 · 06:05 AM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
very cool mate and the guitar tone is spot on , always one of my favs this song .
You vocal nice and edgy too.
And soon they will have those miners up to see the sunshine.

Hope its going well for you .
hugs 'greg    
#12November 5th, 2010 · 12:56 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Pretty Darn Good!
I've got to say I LOVE the fact that you did the panning exactly the way the beatles did it, it almost makes it feel like your version is a just a beatles' outtake version.

That beatles wide panning is something I've been experimenting on my own with, and I find that it really brings out the flaws in your playing!!  So they were pretty darn good!
Anyways, it's a cool feel, definite 60s production.  Good drumming, I liked the fills in the later half that you did.

Vocals sound pretty good, could use some "auto-fais", as I head kings once say, but perhaps you could have just recorded over your voice a whole lot of times, that's what they used instead of autotune back in the past.  Keith Moon did it back in the 70s when he did his solo album, he definitely wasn't the best singer, but he had a good quality in his voice, and just retracking it like that and overdubbing your own voice helped him bring out the best of his voice, i guess.

Those harmonies are pretty darn cool, good job on those~!!!

Also, another thing, the guitar in the beatles version sounded almost like it was plugged into a DI box or something, as in it sounded like a raw signal with no processing, yours doesn't quite get that, but hey now I am being irritating 
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 12:05 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.