#1January 18th, 2010 · 06:16 PM
15 threads / 15 songs
48 posts
Sweden
Absence

This song is not in a battle

So I've just finished recordning this song. I locked myself up in my studio yesterday and, well,
this is how it all ended up. I hope you like it

Like I've said before, I'm not THAT into the studio/mixing/editing/mastering..-Thing..
so any constructive criticism is highly appreciated too

Take Care

//adam

I feel just like a leaf on an autumn-tree
that won't fall off

and the winter's been so long and cold
without you
and don't know why I'm hangin' on

But here I am, I'm standing right here in the rain
but if this is where you at
then the weather won't bother me at all..

and you're the reason to why I can't
sleep alone

I try to tell myself that
you're not worth this love at all
but you tear me apart with you're absence

and here I am, I'm standing right here in the rain
but if this is where you at
then the weather won't bother me at all..

but I can not stand this no more
I cry myself to sleep
and dream of you
you're in my head but I'm not in yours so

I'm letting you go now 'cause
I found what love's about in another set of eyes
please untie me..

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 18th, 2010 · 06:35 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Writing as listening.
The delay in the guitar sounds a bit odd. I suggest a reverb instead of the dealy, or maybe a slower delay.
The voice sounds good; warm and solid. A little more room would work great for the strong parts. Gives them more emotion. Again, some reverb there.
Starting with percussion in the middle would help a lot too to give it more dynamism.
Good work.

> Iszil
#3January 18th, 2010 · 07:00 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
18 posts
Sweden
Sounds really good! Beautiful song!
You could have some reverb on the vocals, and I would maybe turn down the high octave vocal in the mix just a bit. To give it an even more "cozy" sound.

If I would record this, I would probably don't line the guitar directly into the soundcard. (It sounds as you did

It is really a wonderful song you've got here!
#4January 18th, 2010 · 07:01 PM
15 threads / 15 songs
48 posts
Sweden
I see what you mean there. and I actually tried a few things with the chorus 'cause I think it's a bit.. I dunno, I'm not 100% happy with the high parts.. I'll see if I can find some sort of room-eq too.

and yeah, the delay, I think it IS a bit odd too, but I really like it though. but I have to agree, it makes the song go out of beat (is that how you say it?). but eeeah.

anyway, thx for the comment Iszil

// adam
#5January 19th, 2010 · 03:35 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nice song.

Other than whats already been mentioned, I would create a stereo tracks for the guitar and pan the rhythm track hard left and right, the lead at about 40% left and right. You may have to put different eq on each channel if the guitar was recorded in mono. Personally I record acoustic guitars with two mics, a dynamic & a condenser, hence the mics sound a little different, which creates a more distinct stereo image, but two identical mics still would be nice, if you don't have a mic preamp, you could use a mixer, if you have one. I used to use an old tape multitracker as a mixer, it worked really well.

Some of the vox I think sounds nice without reverb, it creates a more intimate feel.

I can remember that Toastedgoat had a formula to work out the delay settings to work perfectly with what ever bpm. Then it depends on the melody and how loud the delay (repeats) are and how many. You just have to play around with it until it sounds right. You could use a combination of reverb and delay, that will thicken up the sound, but I don't think song needs it.

Can I hear chorus is some of the vox parts?

I enjoyed listening
#6January 20th, 2010 · 06:54 AM
15 threads / 15 songs
48 posts
Sweden
Hi Denis!
Yeah I'm workin' on recording another song right now, (kinda startet to get bored with this one so..)
but I'll see what I can do with the stereo-idea, absolutely. I have one condenser mic and one dynamic but I believe the dynamic mic is Really bad, but I dunno, I'll give it a try. Thank you for the tip!

Hmm that sounds really nice, perhaps I should send a mail to him and ask what kind of mystical formula we're talking about here, it sounds very useful. I think the main problem with the delay is that I didn't even take the time of adjusting it, I just found an effect in Guitar Rig, if u know that plug-in, it's like, one pre amp, one amp, one effect, one tuner, haha you know everything on top of each other so I just wheren't that keen on tryin to find out wich one who controled what at that moment.

Yes you hear right, dunno exactly if I should say Chorus but, I made a darker "vox-line" (?) here and there. can't find the word...

Thank you very much Denis, always appreciated.

over n' out

// adam
#7January 20th, 2010 · 11:45 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
lovely guitar playing and beautiful song

vocals are too dry to my ears, put a little room on that track and it spices up the atmosphere

thx for the song
#8January 20th, 2010 · 05:05 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I love the guitar and i think the delay effect fits very well. My goodness you have an amazing voice.

the guitar is super chill and this is really a beautiful song. rated! I like the dual vox thing you do during the "chorus" or whatever. really cool effect. this song is so bright but so dark at the same time. i love it. i really enjoyed listening.
I like the effects that you used on the vocals at some parts, it fit so perfectly. excellent composition and excellent work.   
#9January 21st, 2010 · 06:36 AM
15 threads / 15 songs
48 posts
Sweden
wow, Thanks guys, wasn't really expecting that.
I am so happy you like it though, 'cause I think it's my best song so far , and I've put some work into it. So this was really nice to hear.

thank u thank u

// adam
#10January 22nd, 2010 · 03:15 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Nice track, lovely guitar work.
Good construction
Good vocal delivery (yes, lower the higher harmony to keep the mood - and add just a touch of reverb; don't use so much chorus fx)
Guitar sounds fine to me, but Denis comes up with a great way of adding stereo separation and dynamics.
Enjoyed this one
Well done.
Jim
#11January 22nd, 2010 · 09:07 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Absence
Nice Delivery .............
every body has given advice ............blaaa blaaaa..
the mix in my headphones gets a bit intense ........ hey blame the phones!!!!
I like it
the Swordfish
#12January 23rd, 2010 · 06:37 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
All in all I like this song.  Good guitar work and I like the FX on the guitar track. Vocals are a little dry but I know vocals are one of the hardest to record right. You start adding FX and before you know it they sound separated and detached from the rest of the song. Nice overall feel though....Skunk
#13January 25th, 2010 · 05:36 PM
7 threads / 6 songs
20 posts
United States of America
nice melody
#14January 27th, 2010 · 01:31 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
65 posts
United States of America
man, If only there was a little pad synth in the background, could be a soundscape

good job

Aaron DeAger
#15January 27th, 2010 · 04:59 PM
15 threads / 15 songs
48 posts
Sweden
many Thanks!
yeah these high vox-parts.... I haven't learned to record/mix them properly I guess.
and I fully agree with you SkunkApe, pretty freakin' hard, but people manage to do it so,
guess it's all about experience but I'm getting there!

Thank you inuke!

Aarondeager, yeah I uhm.. I gave it a thought, adding some thin synth-track in the background, or Strings has become my personal favorite (if you listen to my other song "J") but it just didn't happen.

..hmm feels like there's much going on in my studio that never fully "happens"...

Anyway, thank You and all you guys above for the comments

// adam
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 6:51 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.