It’s in the battle 2010-02

good effort guys

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 12th, 2010 · 10:56 AM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
Peace of Mind
NOT a Boston cover. Appreciate comments on vocal harmony (chorus)... I liked the lower one, but our mix/master maestro left in a high harmony and a unison voc that I think is awful... He'll probably be relieved when we tell him to axe it. I like the lower harmony in the chorus, but let me know what you think...

...and here's a good one one: WHY is the higher harmony bad? My theory is: It's flat, it's out of place, it's out of time and it's wobbly instead of straight and clear.

...I wrote this one and played guitar, and our lead singer andy sings it... and yes, I did the harmony parts, regretably... and that weird unison thing at the end that just puckers my colon every time I hear it
#3January 12th, 2010 · 03:24 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
The guitar intro very nice. Lead vox nice.

Drums don't sound right, probably too busy and over saturated in the mix, eq on snare too flat, may have the mics too close to cymbals how are you recording the drums? If you've got a spare mic put it under the snare, then mix the one on top together, or by raising the overhead mics higher will make it brighter. Yeah Drums are a Bitch to record.

Would have liked to heard more staccato chops on the guitar with the bass focusing on the rhythm, which just need some equing and raising in the mix, try raising the upper mids on the bass, should work.

The vox harmonies are very low in the mix for me to critique.

With some work this could be really nice.
#4February 5th, 2010 · 12:42 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
I agree with denis on all his points and yes drums are a bitch to record right. The lead vocal is sweet but the bg vocal does need to come up a bit and maybe one more voice wouldn't hurt. Drums do sound a little off. Not sure what it is, maybe too busy like Dennis said or maybe dragging a little in timing. Cymbals could use some more "washy" sound, maybe some reverb on them and they may be a little loud compared to the drums. I too liked the staccato guitar chops and would like to hear more like them included instead of switching to doubling the bass line which is strong enough. The clean guitar sound is nice and should also be in the chorus hitting the arpeggio notes and then the distorted guitar overlayed lower in the mix to fill the song out more. As the dist. guitar is now, I feel it has too much distortion and overpowers the song. Maybe just a crunch sound would be better. Good song though. Nice lyrics and a "Motown" feel to the verses....Skunk
#5February 5th, 2010 · 12:54 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
Nice song. The vocals are really nice and crisp. All in all the song needs to be tighter though. The harmonies are not quite in tune and the drums fall in and out of time a here and there. In terms of composition, this song seems like it's sort of on the fence between being upbeat and light and being a bit grungy. The verses and the chorus just don't seem to have quite the same feel and I think you'd make it a stronger song by choosing one angle and sticking to it. It's a really good start but I think this needs a bit more work in terms of production and composition.
#6February 5th, 2010 · 05:13 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
I find agreement with everything that's been said...there's some "tightening up" that could happen in the delivery...but I simply want to give you guys some serious props for a "sound' that one doesn't hear on the popular airwaves...this has some really nice instrumental and vocal "hooks" that I think you should retain. Also, I really like the intro guitar tone...I love that little rhythm guitar riff 0.15-0.30. Love everything but the drums 0.30-1.00. In the choruses, however everything seems to fall apart...the harmonies, the instrumentation...everything....those sections could really use some work...(the chorus itself is pretty good, imo). The drums need reworking (simplification) throughout...but please keep at it...this really has possibilities!
#7February 5th, 2010 · 09:22 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I love the guitar tones you used.  and the lead vocalist is a stand out singer,  with a very appealing voice.
Mix needs work, drums especially. Might try fattening up the drum hits with something like EZ drummer. I've recently been helping out in a pro studio.. I was amazed that they fatten and tighten up bad drums with this program..it works too.

The background vocals need a lot of work. It's better to can them, than have bad ones.  Maybe get the lead singer to do his own harmonies ?

Bass guitar lacks punch, and clarity imho. It's there but could be  better.

Overall I love the song,  everything I don't like is mainly production stuff not musician ship stuff.

just an opinion but  I did not think the solo "fit" the song.  It's short which is great, but imho I'd smooth it up a bit. Since it's short maybe base the general idea around the vocal melody.. It sounded like the guitarist was fighting through the arpeggios because of the very staccato playing.

These are just some suggestion though. I wouldn't go changing things around to much.
#8February 16th, 2010 · 05:26 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I think the idea of the harmonies is good but not well executed. There was something weird about the drums... it seems it's the way the cymbals are mixed.
The song is really good though. It just need a better production.

> Iszil
#9February 19th, 2010 · 08:54 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Agree with most of the points that others have brought up.
Bottom line is that this is a good sounding song, which is let down by the mix.
A real shame, as there are some great bits in there.
Love the lead vocal btw.
Jim A
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 8:46 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.