#1November 15th, 2009 · 09:48 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Reunion

This song is not in a battle

I pushed all the boundaries on this composition, it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it. Dedicated to the Chapel End School Reunion 14th November 2009.  If I get time I'll try and get lots of royalty free movie clips of people meeting in places and such like to create a You Tube video. If anybody has got a link/s where I could get these, it would save me a lot of time. Failing that I'll google it as always.

Or if anyone has video ideas taking into consideration it's not going to take up much of my time, that would be awesome.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 15th, 2009 · 10:27 AM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
This sounds like smooth jazz, but with an uplifting mood. I REALLY like it. I wouldn't mind this playing in the background while I write. Very good job! Not much else I can say, it sounds amazing to my ears. The instruments are very well recorded.
#3November 15th, 2009 · 01:19 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I just don't feel completely sure about the saxo sound. What kind is it? Could it be that sometimes the notes go a bit out of tone, but just a little?
And well, beside that saxo "issue", the composition is really good. The mixing is perfect too.
Good job.

> Iszil
#4November 15th, 2009 · 02:18 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Iszil wrote…
I just don't feel completely sure about the saxo sound. What kind is it? Could it be that sometimes the notes go a bit out of tone, but just a little?
And well, beside that saxo "issue", the composition is really good. The mixing is perfect too.
Good job.

> Iszil

LOL, yes the sax goes out of tune, man the key is in C, and some of the phrases was a BITCH to play, I nearly gave-up, With the sax you must must practice EVERY DAY, well I haven't been practicing the sax much (No time, had unfinished projects, but now finished), so there you have it.
Either I practice solid for a week and re-take it or replace with a PATCH.

Thanks for your comments, yeah I'm still happy with it, puts a smile my face

Edit**
It's a soprano Sax, the hardest to play simply because the reed is smaller making it harder to bend. The reason why it sounds out of tune in some places is simply not enough pressure from my bottom lip on the reed. So to hold a note in tune your bottom lip must maintain the correct amount of pressure, hence with the Soprano Sax there is a fine line between the note being either sharp or flat.  Where I struggled in this recording is on the fast notes, firstly the fingering is tricky going form one octave to the next, plus some notes are harder to play than others, other than the obvious,  lowest and the highest, and I don't play in this key normally, which is C, since it's a Bflat instrument,  the easiest  key on the guitar for the sax is Bflat therefore, the sax is played in C. Just like on a keyboard for instance the easiest key is C major, so bloody confusing, these differences in some instruments can be a nightmare to transpose.

Funnily enough A lot of guitar stuff is in E, that's is a real tricky key to play on the sax. The positive thing it's one of the reasons the sax sounds nice, you can bend the notes on any note, just like the guitar.

When I first started playing the sax about 18 months ago, I researched the different embrochures, most teachers tell you to put your bottom lip just over your teeth, thus more control, however, I read that to get the best tone, it is better to learn to play with just your bottom lip on the reed, but you have to practice a lot to keep the lip muscle strong.

Cricky I'm really blabbering on, just thought I would explain to those who are not familiar, can learn and understand.
#5November 15th, 2009 · 09:49 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
O M G!!!!!
Denis what a huge sound on this one..Crystal clear recording..You always come up with so beautiful melodies ..Theres a small note on the higher pitch of the sax that sounds like is cracking just a little when it hits the real high note but it sort of gives a feel of playfulness and child like joy into the track if that makes any sense(So basically it works).Great bass sound on this one !!.Not much to add on this one from what I can tell..Excellent drum work..

You can also look at people shaking hands or hugs in youtube as an option for reunions but Ill keep an eye open.
M.
#6November 15th, 2009 · 10:21 PM
8 threads / 2 songs
79 posts
United States of America
the sax does sound like it has trouble with some notes, but other than that pretty chill track
sounds like something you'd hear in the background for something
nice composition, I especially like the guitar
#7November 16th, 2009 · 04:34 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
Denis a lovely dissertation on the finer points of embrochure etiquite.Tell me about it , been getting squeaks on my alto , its just practice I know but gawd is pisses me off.Just hope I don't pick up any bad habits.
Self taught is me, when I first started had the mouthpiece upside down , but as an artist it was all good lol.

Reunion is sublime magic recording , very organic and arrangement whimsical and happy melody make a great TV theme....then you get lotsa royalties   
Thanks for posting
great show
greg
#8November 16th, 2009 · 04:51 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
blakhatz wrote…
Denis a lovely dissertation on the finer points of embrochure etiquite.Tell me about it , been getting squeaks on my alto , its just practice I know but gawd is pisses me off.Just hope I don't pick up any bad habits.
Self taught is me, when I first started had the mouthpiece upside down , but as an artist it was all good lol.

Reunion is sublime magic recording , very organic and arrangement whimsical and happy melody make a great TV theme....then you get lotsa royalties   
Thanks for posting
great show
greg

Funny, I too started with the reed upside down, bl**dy hard work that was...lol. Scales is the best way with the sax, then after practice you don't have to concetrate as much and feel the music...lol
Would love to try the Tenor, it's supposed to be easier to blow, plus it's the same key as the Soprano, just an octave lower.
#9November 16th, 2009 · 05:06 PM
151 threads / 150 songs
265 posts
United States of America
Very nice. Very smooth sounds, great recording. Nice chops on that sax, and the guitar as well. Love the boomy tone on that bass, although it may be a bit too overpowering in the mix.

Reminds me of Christmas time.
#10November 16th, 2009 · 06:05 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
I could TOTALLY see a bunch of old people (like 60+) meeting back at their old school or something...

... Just kidding!

It definitely gives off the "reunion" feel, maybe a rough one because the saxophone has its slips here and there... It's been recorded with great quality though and the instruments blend very well together. I couldn't help but notice the drums too... The ride cymbal is very nice - drums are not overpowering either, which is a big mistake most jazz ensembles make (at least the ones I've heard)!

This song was really relaxing - nice work!

--XFactor--
#11November 17th, 2009 · 10:37 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
11 posts
United States of America
I love the guitar work in this one what are you playing on/thru?
#12November 17th, 2009 · 11:38 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
remedy wrote…
I love the guitar work in this one what are you playing on/thru?

It's a Rally Archtop (there's a pic of it in my album section), new make, made in the same factory as Gibson Epiphone, through a line6 pod into a Yamaha AW16G workstation.
Cheers
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 8:16 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.