#1August 22nd, 2009 · 04:12 PM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
No One Wins

This song is not in a battle

Hey! I'm not bragging about the production quality and mix. I'm still using my 1989 Logik boom box radio with 5" speakers for monitoring. But. I just found out I was accepted for a second job, so some of that extra money will be used for some quality monitors (then I won't have excuse). So you can tell me all about the crap-job on the mix, and it'll be appreciated, but just to let you know I'm aware of it.

With that said, he are the lyrics:

Once upon a time,
when the leaves were green,
before Man came to burn down all the trees
the water waves reflected the sky

Now,
acid rain burns seas upon my eyes
laughing without care as the world spins
killing each other off in this evil competition

No one wins

Watching the last bit of dirt decay
left all alone; empty
no more air to breathe,
no more minds to think

Suffered your souls for paper and ink
laughing without care as the world spins
killing each other off in this evil competition

No one wins

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 22nd, 2009 · 04:50 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Quite a creative comp.
I love the Guitar and Basss.
Interesting drums, just need to work on the rhythm.
I'd try and keep the reverb the sameish on all intruments, the guitar has just the right amount to my ears, if you moniter each instrument with just the guitar, you'll get a balanced reverb.
The eq is not bad actually.
One of the things I do now is try my best to get the Eq sounding right at source, with mic recordings it's all about mic placement, once you've experimented a few times you'll get to know what works for all you instruments and voice.

The song has potential, as I said it's a creative piece, different, keep worling at it.
#3August 22nd, 2009 · 05:49 PM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
Besides the mix, I don't know what else I have to work at. It's done. I'm not trying to get all glitzy. It's a simple piece with a bold message. Who do you mean, Keep working at it?

What's wrong with the drums' rhythm? Granted a real drummer would probably add a personal touch.

Thanks for your review.

The reverb was just quickly slapped on, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to achieve exactly what I wanted... because my monitoring situation at the moment. I did have about the same on all instruments, but then the snare sounded too dry... and then I just kept trying to get all deep from there.

As far as mic, the only thing mic'ed is my vocals. The guitar is plugged in recorded at pick-up, and everything else is soundfonts.
#4August 23rd, 2009 · 11:46 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I hear you about the mix,Ill wait and see on that when you revisit.As far as the drums Im not digging the excessive snare crash hits as it lacks effectivity when over done.Also there's no kick presence in the drums.Theres a few spots were your vox goes a bit out of tune.If you are satisfied with this performance(Mix aside)then thats fine but I would consider revisiting it as IMHO in does need touching up.Specially when I've heard your other tracks and I know what you can do..Nice solo by the way!
#5August 24th, 2009 · 08:24 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
Im not digging the excessive snare crash hits as it lacks effectivity when over done
Ok. You guys got me. I just did alot of cut and pasting to get a rhythm down. Need a real drummer.

Also there's no kick presence in the drums
Yes. The kick drum is there. But it's being monitored on my cheesy speakers, so what's loud on my speakers probably isn't on yours.

Theres a few spots were your vox goes a bit out of tune
Yah. I know. But even the most popular singers have recordings where they go out of tune. I guess this just puts me in the ranks with them.

I would consider revisiting it as IMHO
Don't know what IMHO means, unless you're confessing to being sexually promiscuous.

Specially when I've heard your other tracks and I know what you can do.
No one ever throws me many compliments on my tracks, if they even review it, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Nice solo by the way!
Thanks for the sympathy.
#6August 24th, 2009 · 11:27 AM
24 threads / 15 songs
160 posts
United States of America
I'm not a mix master, but I can't really tell what you're doing with the rhythm distorted guitar in the background behind the acoustic guitar. To me it almost seems like a distraction, or maybe it has too much gain.

If you recorded the percussions live, I give you credit for that. I mean, playing being able to play various instruments is a plus. I can play the drums to keep the beat going and some drum fills, but I usually create the drum tracks using a drum machine (fruity loops).

I like the solo on the guitar. It's tone is very distinct from the rest of the tone you used on the other instruments. It stands out well I think.
#7August 24th, 2009 · 05:19 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
IMHO-In my honest opinion.
Not sure who your talking about singing out of tune on the high ranks but maybe we listen to different musicians.Ive highly complemented your tracks before so you need to go back and re-read.
I don't have sympathy for you,sorry if you think that, as it was an honest review.Maybe Ill listen next time and just say hmm well good job(hopefully you wont ask me what hmm means).
Your a bit full of shit buddy sorry for the honesty but Im a bit to old for dumb fuck games..So whatever moving on.
#8August 24th, 2009 · 05:33 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Sorry, but I didn't get it.

> Iszil
#9August 25th, 2009 · 07:51 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
I'm not a mix master, but I can't really tell what you're doing with the rhythm distorted guitar in the background behind the acoustic guitar. To me it almost seems like a distraction, or maybe it has too much gain.
It could be either of those two. It'll be more evident with better monitoring speakers to mix.

If you recorded the percussions live, I give you credit for that. I mean, playing being able to play various instruments is a plus. I can play the drums to keep the beat going and some drum fills, but I usually create the drum tracks using a drum machine (fruity loops).
Soundfonts.

I like the solo on the guitar. It's tone is very distinct from the rest of the tone you used on the other instruments. It stands out well I think.
My fave part of mix too.
#10August 25th, 2009 · 07:55 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
Not sure who your talking about singing out of tune on the high ranks but maybe we listen to different musicians.
Ummm. Like Metallica or Nirvana, as some examples. Even some Floyd I've heard go out. Others too. Like Alanis Morisette.

Ive highly complemented your tracks before so you need to go back and re-read.
I don't have sympathy for you,sorry if you think that, as it was an honest review.Maybe Ill listen next time and just say hmm well good job(hopefully you wont ask me what hmm means).
Your a bit full of shit buddy sorry for the honesty but Im a bit to old for dumb fuck games..So whatever moving on.
Marino! I was just joking. Plus, I'm probably older than you anyways. Your critique was appreciated. Lighten up. Don't hate me.
#11August 25th, 2009 · 07:56 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
Iszil wrote…
Sorry, but I didn't get it.

> Iszil
It?
#12August 25th, 2009 · 05:02 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Got your Pm,were cool. Didn't get it as a joke initially ,my bad.
But I still think Im older than you(lol)....40 +
#13August 26th, 2009 · 12:02 PM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
Ok. Marino. Your music makes you sound younger. Mid 30's for me.

By the way, my songs always sound really good to my ears immediately after recording them, but after a few listens I start understanding why people say some of the things they say.

This song sounds like pure poopy.
#14August 27th, 2009 · 01:21 PM
19 threads / 13 songs
41 posts
Canada
I love it. Seriously. (and I'm not audio reviewing it just because I want to upload a new song)
Sounds some like radiohead. I love the way the drums create an off-time feeling. If I was you, I would introduced some new patterns in the song. Good lyrics. Good guitar solo. 3.5/5.
#15September 15th, 2009 · 03:02 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
off-time feeling with an off-time reality

sorry no vote
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 3:28 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.