#1June 1st, 2009 · 01:41 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Farewell

This song is not in a battle

A cover of the song "Pockets" done in the style of Avi.

Apologies for the 12-or-so seconds of silence at the start of the track.

Edit: some background?  Recorded this because I was a bit bored.  Each track in one take save the vocals, because I started coughing midway through the first line the first time around.  I'm super excited to have my electric with me again, so I've been recording with it.  This has an acoustic, a jazz archtop and a strat for the three guitars.  I experimented with layering sound with as few instruments as possible.  I'm reasonably pleased with the end--it gets as heavy as I wanted it to, and I only had to layer an additional vocal track.

Lyrics:
By now you know that I never arrived
I was too tired to move
I was gonna invent an elaborate excuse
But I'm tired of them too

Little pockets of air in the atmosphere
Make it easy to breathe
So farewell to unpleasant scenes
I want you to stay, stay, stay

The blinding flash of circling stars
Left relatively shallow scars
You played your faux renaissance card
To starry eyes and wild applause

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2June 1st, 2009 · 02:53 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Hey Avi, nice to see you uploading again. Gotta  nice  classic rock feel to this.
Like the Bass and rhythm guitar, IMO too much effect of the vox, or perhaps just add in some parts, also the vox sound is a bit burried. would have liked to have heard some Drums.

Not bad for a single take.
#3June 1st, 2009 · 04:13 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Thanks for the comments!

The bass is actually just a normal guitar.  I didn't even bother to lower the octave because I liked the tone so much.  I spent a long time working with that rhythm sound.

I initially had the vox clean and cutting through a bit more, but I tried this and stuck with it.  I preferred the atmospheric quality, and when the second vocal kicks in at the end, I liked the flange going slightly out of phase and providing texture to the track.  I can see how it might be pretty subjective to choose that on my part, though.

I don't know how to go about adding drums.  Electronic drums sound pretty bad when I work with them, and I don't have a dedicated drum machine.  I don't have a kit, and don't plan to buy one any time soon.  I have a pair of shakers, and that's it.  The shakers sounded pretty crap here, so I didn't bother.
#4June 4th, 2009 · 07:32 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
For the record: tried this out without effects on the vocals again, and I didn't like it a whole lot. I don't know, it might be me.  I might upload it to my website and offer a comparison.
#5June 4th, 2009 · 12:27 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Pretty sweet! There's no drums, that's probably why I am not bothered with the heavy vocal effect. This makes it a really complete soundscape, no drums required. I am not familiar with the original song, in any case I think you did a great job.
#6June 4th, 2009 · 07:50 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
avinashv wrote…
I don't know how to go about adding drums.  Electronic drums sound pretty bad when I work with them, and I don't have a dedicated drum machine.  I don't have a kit, and don't plan to buy one any time soon.  I have a pair of shakers, and that's it.  The shakers sounded pretty crap here, so I didn't bother.
LOL, it doesn't need drums....well if a percussionist put something to it it might sound good ! But as it is , I really like.
The vocal effect does in deed put the whole thing in a different time space, as a song should be...like listening to a dream.
Nice one Avi 
#7June 5th, 2009 · 05:44 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
140 posts
United Kingdom
Nice intro. I like the vocals, although I feel that with the heavy modulation effects, they are a bit too punchy when alongside the soft guitar strumming early on. They fit in a bit better later in the song when there is a bit more music with them. Perhaps you could fade the fx in gradually as the song builds.

The ending is very abrupt which is disappointing but overall it's a pretty good song- a very good basis for a song if you're interested in working on it some more.
#8June 7th, 2009 · 09:28 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
"PuppetXeno" wrote…
There's no drums, that's probably why I am not bothered with the heavy vocal effect. This makes it a really complete soundscape, no drums required.

This is exactly why the vocals had effects, yes.  Glad you enjoyed it, thanks.

"kings" wrote…
But as it is , I really like.
The vocal effect does in deed put the whole thing in a different time space, as a song should be...like listening to a dream.

Haha I didn't think about that!  Thanks for the comments!

"ktartandude" wrote…
Perhaps you could fade the fx in gradually as the song builds.

Tried it, and it sounded odd to me.

"ktartandude" wrote…
The ending is very abrupt which is disappointing but overall it's a pretty good song- a very good basis for a song if you're interested in working on it some more.

Well, in the actual song, it goes from there into an old-school, classic rock 'n roll, Zeppelin style jam.  I didn't want to add that to this cover straight up.  If I were to lengthen this any, it would just be to texture more sounds on—strings? a real snare with brushes (as has been mentioned)? contrabass? I don't know.

Thanks for the C+C though, thanks.
#9June 7th, 2009 · 04:34 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
I like this - don't know the original, but it works for me.  The vocals certainly sound trippy through my headphones!
Nice bit of playing - good vocal delivery; not so keen on the distortion used with the lead at the end though.
Enjoyed listening.
Jim A
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 6:32 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.