#1May 27th, 2009 · 03:42 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Living Free - Collab
Please vote for this song !
Current votes: 6 (needs min. 15)
It’s in the battle 2009-06

Initially came up with a backing track in Nov 08, BandAMP members suggested to restructure the song, 'Marino' and 'JimimUK' have collaborated, It's been an absolute pleasure to work with them, they are true professionals in every sense of the word. I can't thank them enough for their time, energy, dedication & commitment .

Denis:  Music/organ/acoustic guitar/sax/drum programming/mixing & production
Marino:  Electric lead guitar
JiminUK:  Lead & harmony vocals/lyrics/synth strings/restructure of arrangement

Living Free

My life has become me,
My world all around me.
Thinking of the way I live
And what I do
And who I see
And why

I live in safe seclusion
Come on in to my illusion
Be blinded by my show
The more you see
The less you know
The more you see
The less you know
Of me…

So now it’s all inside me
Gagged and tied, but living free
Not giving clues to any one
In what I do
And what I say
No way

Fooled by my delusion
The simple and plain conclusion
I lost something when I let you go
Time to break free
Of this memory
Breaking free
Of the memory
Of you…

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 27th, 2009 · 07:53 PM
9 threads
98 posts
United States of America
I actually really enjoyed this one.  Love the sax denis! all of these instruments being arranged in this manner really made everything shine. Proper breaks are inserted and the lyrics sound good too. all in all good job to all of you. Hope you guys make another collab in the future cause this one rocked! Good job again!
#3May 28th, 2009 · 08:55 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Yeah..everything about this piece is good....all the instrumentation, the lyrics, the vocals. Nice sax work, Denis and some sweet guitar leads, Marino! Jiminuk, the vocal harmonies are truly fine! Nice work!
#4May 28th, 2009 · 12:26 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Jeez, wow, this is downright awesome! Although not a fan of the drum sounds here (particularly the tom-breaks) (says someone who's been using an SR-16 for years!), and there's some things I'd personally mix a little differently - the arrangement, the vocals and instrumental performance is all ace. However I'm hearing some kind of clicking in there, is that plectrum clicking?

But beside that, this is a great song, with a really great feel behind it!
#5May 28th, 2009 · 05:29 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
PuppetXeno wrote…
Jeez, wow, this is downright awesome! Although not a fan of the drum sounds here (particularly the tom-breaks) (says someone who's been using an SR-16 for years!), and there's some things I'd personally mix a little differently - the arrangement, the vocals and instrumental performance is all ace. However I'm hearing some kind of clicking in there, is that plectrum clicking?

But beside that, this is a great song, with a really great feel behind it!

LOL 'The good old SR-16', I was looking at the Arbiter flats Drum Kit's, was trying to find out how they well they recorded, I really want a Drum kit, but don't have the space, even considering a Roland HD1 electronic kit, ultimately I'd like a Basic Yamaha acoustic Set, I love Yamaha drums.  If I do get an acoustic set, I'd have to store it in the loft, assuming the Bass drum will fit through the hatch [yes measure it] LOL.
Then I'd have to learn how to play them good enough to record, failing that, I could ask some drummers I know to come over to record, but drummers always seem TOO BUSY.
In any event it will be GREAT FUN

And yes the click noise is the pick hitting the 'BAT WING' scratch guard on my EKO acoustic.

Cheers

Denis
#6May 28th, 2009 · 07:50 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Tx for asking me to participate ..This was a great piece to work with..Tx again Denis!
#7May 29th, 2009 · 08:59 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Ooh yeah baby!!!

This is sounding good Denis - Marino, some excellent guitar work on this.
I would have mixed it slightly differently to this, and perhaps used less fx on the vocals, but that's a minor thing really.  I do think it's come out really well.
When you started this there were a few comments about how Floydish it was; the lyrics were written deliberately that way.  I think it's carried on with that Floyd sound, which is a good thing for me.

Cheers Denis, it was good fun working with you.

Jim A
#8May 29th, 2009 · 08:41 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Denis,
 Thank you very much for sharing! I love the way it all fit together so nicely. One can tell the experience and professionalism behind the collaboration. *Beautiful song as well! Great job to all three of you!
 *Cheers, my friend *s
Fid
#9June 3rd, 2009 · 07:47 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
140 posts
United Kingdom
Shame about that echoey clicking sound, which is quite distracting. And I really hate that tom sound. Other than those two points, this is absolutely brilliant. The sax, the lead and picked guitar are all beautiful- especially the sax. The vocals are great also.
What a great song! The percussion is definitely the weak point. Production-wise, it sounds spot on to me- all but that clicky pick. You fix that and the drums and you have an absolute belter of a track here.
Did I mention I love the sax. Really, really love that sax.
Congrats to you all.
#10June 4th, 2009 · 05:28 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ktartandude wrote…
Shame about that echoey clicking sound, which is quite distracting. And I really hate that tom sound. Other than those two points, this is absolutely brilliant. The sax, the lead and picked guitar are all beautiful- especially the sax. The vocals are great also.
What a great song! The percussion is definitely the weak point. Production-wise, it sounds spot on to me- all but that clicky pick. You fix that and the drums and you have an absolute belter of a track here.
Did I mention I love the sax. Really, really love that sax.
Congrats to you all.

Yeah, your the second person that has mentioned the clicking, I should really sort that out, I would normally notice things like that. There is a feature on Adobe Audition that removes pops and clicks, I may try that, failing that I'll have to re-record it, although it's hard to recapture the feel, plus a lot of work went into practicing the guitar part, some of the chord changes involve awkward finger work.
As for the Alesis 16-SR Drum Machine, Ideally I want either a quality electronic drum kit, like the Roland HD-1 or an acoustic kit.  It's something I'm considering, one of the problems I have is space, the other is trying to find a drummer who will collaborate without wanting to be paid, finally finding the time to practice.
Yeah I was pleased with the sax considering I only started playing it a year ago, I did many takes before settling for the cut. Also it was a time when I realized to take more time in producing my music, before I would get an Idea and record everything in one day, although it's fun, you don't end up with your best performance or best production.
Cheers
#11June 4th, 2009 · 07:54 AM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
this is so suave, so sweet, sparse... i love the sax, the vocal and guitar. awsome! conguratulatios, guys! this really shows your talents and musicianship. i love it. it would be wonderful if we could join you guys to create a nice chill-out love song...?
y
#12June 4th, 2009 · 09:23 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
As for the Alesis 16-SR Drum Machine, Ideally I want either a quality electronic drum kit, like the Roland HD-1 or an acoustic kit.  It's something I'm considering, one of the problems I have is space, the other is trying to find a drummer who will collaborate without wanting to be paid, finally finding the time to practice.

Denis, a while ago, I bought a cheap little digital drum kit made by ION that uses the SR-16 as it's sound module (which means it uses the same exact sounds as the SR-16) In combination with my SR-16, I find I can use the ION to play the parts that are too hard to program on the SR-16; furthermore, it allows me to "humanize" the percussion better. In addition, it takes up very little space. I got mine at a "big-box" store (TARGET) here in the states for about $200 USD. It's durable enough (as long as you don't beat the heck out of it). Here's a little tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubWQYFfMlo
Here's a review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct05/articles/ion.htm
#13June 4th, 2009 · 11:06 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
Denis wrote…

Denis, a while ago, I bought a cheap little digital drum kit made by ION that uses the SR-16 as it's sound module (which means it uses the same exact sounds as the SR-16) In combination with my SR-16, I find I can use the ION to play the parts that are too hard to program on the SR-16; furthermore, it allows me to "humanize" the percussion better. In addition, it takes up very little space. I got mine at a "big-box" store (TARGET) here in the states for about $200 USD. It's durable enough (as long as you don't beat the heck out of it). Here's a little tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubWQYFfMlo
Here's a review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct05/articles/ion.htm

Thanks for the info, I've considered the ION, I figured the if I'm gonna trade in the Alesis, it may as well be for something better quality samples, Roland are the clear winners followed by Yamaha.
Or a reasonable acoutic kit with quality cymbals.
The Alesis aint that bad, it's OK for some sounds, it'll keep me out of trouble for now, so long as I'm having fun, that's all that matters. 
#14June 8th, 2009 · 08:28 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
5 posts
Germany
ok, that's not the kind of music I usually listen to but this is more than nice! a beautiful song! i signed up today and i just listened to very good bands and musicians. don't know if we fit into this site with our crappy punk songs... : )
#15June 8th, 2009 · 11:30 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
oh im sure youll fit in just fine! this site has open doors for ALL kinds of music! rock, punk, techno, Denis, Marino....lol (denis and marino are their own style of music). welcome to the amp!
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 10:22 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.