#1May 5th, 2009 · 02:15 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Falling in Love/Sax

This song is not in a battle

Another song old song, this one was completely re-recorded.
The melody is quite interesting, it changes key a lot, yet it fits, easy on guitar, but a mind bender on the sax, it took many many takes to record the sax main theme, which is not perfect, just as well it's Jazz, you can get away with it, so long as it sounds OK.

I've got a few more to do like this, then will have my first Jazz album.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 5th, 2009 · 04:24 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Again very 'easy listening' and chilled out , though I feel the whole time that I've heard that refrain before.
I cant really comment constructively as Jazz is not really my thing... seams like too much hanging around and always seams to need more 'get on with it'. 
#3May 6th, 2009 · 12:31 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Totally smooth...No questions here!!You're the master....The mix so crisp and loud...When I grow up I wanna be that good..Great guitar tone Denis sounds tight!!Nice composition..2 saxes ?
#4May 6th, 2009 · 07:08 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Marino wrote…
Totally smooth...No questions here!!You're the master....The mix so crisp and loud...When I grow up I wanna be that good..Great guitar tone Denis sounds tight!!Nice composition..2 saxes ?

One guitar [picking/lead at same time], one bass, one sax, rolland synth, Alisis drum machine

M, Master muscian, you have your own style which is superb, no better or worce than me, you have your own great sound, the "Marino Sound"

Cheers Amigo
#5May 6th, 2009 · 07:12 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Again very 'easy listening' and chilled out , though I feel the whole time that I've heard that refrain before.
I cant really comment constructively as Jazz is not really my thing... seams like too much hanging around and always seams to need more 'get on with it'.  :razz:

Yep, I was concerned that it may sound repetitive, which is what I think your trying to say, I've posted the song to a friend, David Newby, who has excellent synth skills, to see if he can whisk-up some magic, just like on the collab I did with him on one of my songs called 'Alpha Nine'
#6May 6th, 2009 · 02:23 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
26 posts
United States of America
Great composition here Denis
The guitar work is so easy to listen to,
It really slinks and crawls throughout the whole song.

I have heard ample amounts of jazz
But this is great.
However I am never one for electric drum
Maybe add in som aux percussion?
It might give it a more "real" beat...
But hell, work with what you've got

Overall, great piece once again
#7May 6th, 2009 · 03:23 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
CBwell wrote…
Great composition here Denis
The guitar work is so easy to listen to,
It really slinks and crawls throughout the whole song.

I have heard ample amounts of jazz
But this is great.
However I am never one for electric drum
Maybe add in some aux percussion?
It might give it a more "real" beat...
But hell, work with what you've got

Overall, great piece once again

I seriously would love to have real Drums, I was thinking of getting the Roland HD-1 electric drum kit, which is the the best alternative, however I simply do not have the space in my home until one of my daughter aged 17& 18 respectively, moves out.  I've never ever found a drummer that is willing to help out.
I've got bongos, shakers, triangle and bells. I was thinking congas but I would still have a problem with where to put them.  I suppose I could buy an acoustic kit and store it in the loft, I think it would fit. Playing them is a different story, I think you need to practice everyday to get reasonably good, I've already got my work cut out with guitar, sax and flute, I can get away with not practicing the bass.
But hell as you say, I'm still loving it just the same, It's nice to have dreams, who knows they may just come true.
#8May 6th, 2009 · 06:09 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
wow
Very tasteful Denis san beautiful melody and your  bass playing is proof you can get away with anything. Love those lines, the guitar and way  the whole piece fits together.

The drums may benefit from cutting the reverb a tad , drying them up  and actually pulling back volume in the track.
 listening to some bossa feels and the drums are so light.
Can you use a brush kit?? , you might "get away " with just a ...snare & brush to throw that authentic sound into the mix as the kik could still be electronic but accoustic sample. Just guessing here
I love this style , are you considering a vocal ala astrud gilberto ?

thankyou for posting
Y
#9May 7th, 2009 · 01:18 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: wow
yokoinc wrote…
Very tasteful Denis san beautiful melody and your  bass playing is proof you can get away with anything. Love those lines, the guitar and way  the whole piece fits together.

The drums may benefit from cutting the reverb a tad , drying them up  and actually pulling back volume in the track.
 listening to some bossa feels and the drums are so light.
Can you use a brush kit?? , you might "get away " with just a ...snare & brush to throw that authentic sound into the mix as the kik could still be electronic but accoustic sample. Just guessing here
I love this style , are you considering a vocal ala astrud gilberto ?

thankyou for posting
Y

I like your suggestion on brushes, yeah I could probably get a ride cymbal
Can you translate "vocal ala astrud gilberto", if that means using for vocal chords lol, not really thought about it, but would be interesting to give at a go, just need lyrics, which I never hardly do, but somebody else is welcome to.

About the reverb on the drums, the drums was the hardest to mix, with less reverb it just sounded too plastic, I think there is a away of separating some of the drums on my Alesis 16SR drum machine, thus I can just have reverb on the cymbals.

Thanks for the suggestions, the best I've had in a long time!!

All the very best.

#10January 18th, 2011 · 10:19 PM
4 threads / 4 songs
12 posts
United States of America
Falling in Love
I don't really enjoy "smooth jazz" which is where I think this one sort of falls. I could almost a meter change and feel change which unfortunately never happened. I agree about the canned drums as well as one of the former posters. The sax was nice where it entered and I liked the guitar for the most part.
#11January 19th, 2011 · 12:54 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Falling in Love
krysbaker wrote…
I don't really enjoy "smooth jazz" which is where I think this one sort of falls. I could almost a meter change and feel change which unfortunately never happened. I agree about the canned drums as well as one of the former posters. The sax was nice where it entered and I liked the guitar for the most part.

I had trouble trying to create other parts to this composition for some reason, it has many chords and key changes, very hard to solo/improvise. It's already been published so it's too late to change it. I've since much improved programming drums, this was done on a rather basic drum machine, I now use EzDrummer, which has a nice jazz kit, plus much easier to edit/programme.

This is my most recent Jazz composition, the drums are much better.
http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/8302.html
#12January 23rd, 2011 · 02:45 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Falling in Love/Sax
[quote=Denis]Another song old song, this one was completely re-recorded.
The melody is quite interesting, it changes key a lot, yet it fits, easy on guitar, but a mind bender on the sax, it took many many takes to record the sax main theme, which is not perfect, just as well it's Jazz, you can get away with it, so long as it sounds OK.

I've got a few more to do like this, then will have my first Jazz album.[/quo

how do you get this sound ???

recording in the bathroom???

love it

COOL FISH
#13January 23rd, 2011 · 02:59 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
In fact ! There´s a lot of chords . Not easy to play . Your git tone is like ........like .........like warm honey on the skin . Tasty & creamy.  And the sax :    Mmmhhh.......Very relaxed mood . .......mmmmmmmhhhhh
U.L.I.

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 4:18 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.