#1April 16th, 2009 · 08:29 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
63 posts
United Kingdom
Catch Me If I Fall

This song is not in a battle

This is a new song.  A ballad.  Everything is played by me and I've really tried to concentrate on the sound quality of mix and mastering.  I know singing is not a forte of mine!

What do you think?

Any comments gratefully accepted.

PRG

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2April 16th, 2009 · 08:37 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
reviewing as i listen:

first off, AWESOME! the piano and guitar compliment eachother so well. really awesome man. i think your voice really fits this as well. super cool.

great job!
sound quality sounds great to me!
#3April 16th, 2009 · 08:48 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
63 posts
United Kingdom
Wow, quick response
Thanks TheKunadium for a very quick response and the kind words.  I'm pleased that you approve of the choices I made in terms of the mix etc.  I've really been working hard at understanding all sorts of techniques for mastering and mixing.

Thanks again
Paul
#4April 16th, 2009 · 09:15 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Hello PRG,
 I think you did a great job..... the lyrics are awesome, the feel is awesome and the mix sounds just right, buddy!
 It's the type of song that is exactly what it is....... nice enjoyable easy listening ballad. The only thing I would suggest is a solo break,,,, more acoustic along with the piano, possibly in just one spot between the two last verses. Other then that....... *perfect! You most definitely  got your point across with your own unique way.
And also like Kunadiun mentioned..... your voice sounds just fine to me
John aka: Fid
#5April 16th, 2009 · 09:54 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
As I hear it...
Your song is real pretty and great sounding..
This is what stands out to my ear..
Your cutting all the ambiance sound of your vox and guitar in a very sharp drop and fade in from line to line taking the organic feel out, a slight of air could provide (just intro lines)..Theres also just a tad or sharp hitting frequencies in your voice almost sounding like a sibilance issue..Are you using a de esser or compressor? (http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_silencing_sibilance/)...Its a very slight issue but on my flat response headphones I still hear it so I'm wondering if more traditional headphones might give you a more noticeable problem..At 119 you hit  what sounds like wrong note on your piano chord....Just letting you know what I hear..The production is great still and this is just what I can hear from my end...Good show and keep em coming!
#6April 17th, 2009 · 06:46 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
63 posts
United Kingdom
Good Spot
Hi Marino

Thanks.  This is exactly what I hoped for.  When you've spent a while mixing a song, you can miss things so easily.  It often takes someone else's ears to notice the little things that need attention.

The 'wrong piano note' sounds like a sustain pedal issue.  The piano was done via MIDI so it'll be an easy fix.  The sibilance issue must be due to compression (I didn't use a de-esser), I'll check that out.

Thanks a lot.
Paul
#7April 17th, 2009 · 11:24 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Marino wrote…
As I hear it...
Your song is real pretty and great sounding..
This is what stands out to my ear..
Your cutting all the ambiance sound of your vox and guitar in a very sharp drop and fade in from line to line taking the organic feel out, a slight of air could provide (just intro lines)..Theres also just a tad or sharp hitting frequencies in your voice almost sounding like a sibilance issue..Are you using a de esser or compressor? (http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_silencing_sibilance/)...Its a very slight issue but on my flat response headphones I still hear it so I'm wondering if more traditional headphones might give you a more noticeable problem..At 119 you hit  what sounds like wrong note on your piano chord....Just letting you know what I hear..The production is great still and this is just what I can hear from my end...Good show and keep em coming!

(heres the link for easy clickability:) http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_silencing_sibilance/
#8April 17th, 2009 · 01:56 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
It very well put together, great songwiting fella.

I think the vox sound is nice acually, you could add more reverb I suppose, but the reverb level is OK with the rest of the mix, yes you could add a de-esser which will smooth it out a bit. Amazing for Midi, I don't think you could have got a better sound considering.

Personally the main things I would change is to fatten up the BASS, this will give more support to the music, More strings and perhaps in the chorus change the melody so it's higher than the verse, or you may get away with adding a harmony vocal if it fits.

Very nice song Paul [Am I right that you are a blower?] if so why not add some of that too??
#9April 17th, 2009 · 07:51 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
63 posts
United Kingdom
Update
Hi

Marino:  I fixed the piano pedalling issue and I've managed to get rid of the strange vocal effects by toning down the treatment a bit.

Denis:  I actually had the bass quite a bit louder in the mix but, when I listened to the mix on my hifi it seemed much too loud so I turned it down.  I normally trust my reference monitors over my hifi speakers but I thought I'd change it this time. 

And yes, I am a blower.  I considered putting a bit of trumpet or flugel on this but decided against it.

Paul
#10April 17th, 2009 · 10:19 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Cool..You should post it as version(V2) so we can take a listen...Looking forward to it..You should drop by more often...
#11April 18th, 2009 · 04:39 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Update
PRG wrote…
Hi

Marino:  I fixed the piano pedalling issue and I've managed to get rid of the strange vocal effects by toning down the treatment a bit.

Denis:  I actually had the bass quite a bit louder in the mix but, when I listened to the mix on my hifi it seemed much too loud so I turned it down.  I normally trust my reference monitors over my hifi speakers but I thought I'd change it this time. 

And yes, I am a blower.  I considered putting a bit of trumpet or flugel on this but decided against it.

Paul

Sorry I meant the eq on the Bass instrument, Through my monitors it sounds as though it needs it, interesting that it's overpowering on your system. A good test is to compare it to something that's been professionally produced on the same system.

I would love to here you blow, may be not On this song if you don't feel it will go, then we could do a collab me on sax, Swordie on trombone, and there we have it a brass section.

Your welcome to add any trumpet etc on the songs I've uploaded here on the AMP, There are a few where I've played Sax, but you can add it to any track, that would be great.
this is my email
denis.ahmet@gmail.com

Cheers
#12April 18th, 2009 · 05:13 AM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Catch Me If I Fall
Nice one PRG.........

Vocs Lovely and clear.... Sounds like a theatre song, it reminded me a lot of the Glums (les miserables) as it has that sort of wistful reflective feel about it..... could imagine some-one silhouetted under an old gas light singin out their troubles. so the mood set is spot on.

Quality Great as I would expect...... Hey no clicking!!!!

To the next Lloyd Webber????? HaHa

John ................ ZEE FEESH
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 9:07 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.