#1April 15th, 2009 · 12:46 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Lord of the Flies

This song is not in a battle

After much hard-work, I think I finally fixed the problem with this song. (For those of you who don't know, there was this big problem with this song playing on BandAMP because of the sample rate I recorded it in. I've changed the sample rate so I think this one should work!!!)

This is a project I had to do for school, and I had 5 days to write, record, and edit it. It is about Lord of the Flies from the perspective of Ralph and Jack (for those who have read the book)

Its me on all the instruments, and its me singing the parts for both Ralph and Jack. Jack sounds meniachal.
I am very new to singing so I would like plenty of helpful tips and things to really help me progress with my voice.

Let me know what you think!

(Edit: Okay, I've listened to it on multiple computers and its working now!! No digital crackling and farting! Thanks so much for your help everyone!)

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2April 15th, 2009 · 04:52 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I dont know who Ralph or Jack are, but I like the 'second' (mean) character better, he's much more confident, he means what he says, he says it right, the 'first' character says too much and his lines are odd.
The music is too far back as well.
Really glad to hear you've understood sample rates.
I'd like to see you do more work with your samples, not only because you're very good at it,  but it would also teach you about the 'levels' of sounds within your songs.
#3April 15th, 2009 · 05:31 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
I dont know who Ralph or Jack are, but I like the 'second' (mean) character better, he's much more confident, he means what he says, he says it right, the 'first' character says too much and his lines are odd.
The music is too far back as well.
Really glad to hear you've understood sample rates.
I'd like to see you do more work with your samples, not only because you're very good at it,  but it would also teach you about the 'levels' of sounds within your songs.

Yeah, I don't weather perhaps it was intentional, but the levels are not right, and yes the sound is buried. don't let this put you off, I think you will develop into a good producer, that means I think well of your song writing ability, just need to learn how to get the best possible sound from your equipment, it takes a lot of practice and willingness to learn, which you have BAGs of.  Personally I think sound is the foundation, once you get it right creating becomes easier, 'cause you like what you hear and become inspired by your own creation.

Yes please do carry on with your samples, but also keep on working with your instruments, you will then develop into one super musician.
#4April 15th, 2009 · 05:57 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
yeah this was kind of a rush job...I took about a day and a half or two to write it and then I had about 2 or 3 days to record everything. (it was for school) (i got a 45/40 for it)

Yeah everything was back in the recording...and I didnt really achieve the sound I wanted.

Well I've had about a little more than a week and a half to record this next song for school (Night by Elie Wiesel)
and ive experimented with ambient micing and more headroom and reverb and I think it sounds brilliant as a mix so far.
I'm still experimenting with loads of stuff and still have tons to learn, but I am enjoying it!!

thanks for listening guys!
#5April 15th, 2009 · 06:25 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Excellent job with the construction although some levels need much adjusting...Glad the convertion worked out K...As far as the first vocal lines I feel theres no much of an air break to let the lyrics settle,I would also play around making the melody a bit more expanded in the phrasing as oppose to trying to fit everything in each bar..so maybe loose some words and change the melody around from turn to turn..The second voice does capture more expression and thus is a more effective delivery although meant to be a secondary character and more exaggerated..I guess the fact that the sing in that part is a bit more aggressive that it gives you the impression of a more dominant delivery...Anyways keep at it mr producer!!!! ...
#6April 16th, 2009 · 02:41 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
thanks marino. i dont know if theres much more that i can do with THIS song, but I have learned quite a bit from it, so my future songs will benefit.
thanks again! more coming soon!

(yeah i was trying to make the second character very different from how i regularly sound lol...it just turned out that way i suppose!)
#7April 17th, 2009 · 01:26 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Good portrayal of the LotF characters Jack and Ralph. The actual song construction isn't half bad actually - perhaps a little monotonous (needing some sort of break for the ears!) That could have come when the fire burns out and the ship passes by (don't remember the book that well actually, but then it has been about 35 years since I did it at school!).
As far as the recording is concerned - the vocals are way way way too dominant, sounding as if they were recorded on a different machine using very different equipment.  Some serious remixing needed here for it to sound right.
With the vocals - Marino touches on it with the need to leave a bit of space around the phrasing, and adding some melodic variations.  Some of that can be achieved with a slight rethink of the words (I wouldn't expect you to change things now though, especially as you've already been graded on this one!)
But actually this is good stuff.
#8April 17th, 2009 · 01:30 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
hey thanks jim! yeah I'm gonna leave this as it is. it shows my progress and how im progressing (if you compate it to "Night"...I just finished it like yesterday.)
I've learned quite a bit about mixing and editing and levels, and when I recorded this, I really had no knowledge of anything! lol. I barely even knew how to use my mixer. (im just learning some of its hidden powers now)
#9June 6th, 2009 · 01:23 AM
8 posts
United States of America
cool nice song
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 5:43 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.