#1April 3rd, 2009 · 10:50 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
"You are my friend"

This song is not in a battle

I know this piece needs drums, but I am no pro at FL8, if anyone wants to help me learn FL8 I'm willing to take notes, believe me. Anyways I wrote this song a few yrs back, but decided to record it today.  Also I couldn't decide whether to put a guitar lead in or a piano lead, but seeing I already had piano in there as a major part, I felt the lead guitar solo would give it another perspective. Again..... any and all comments or suggestions will be well appreciated!
~ Peace All ~

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2April 4th, 2009 · 11:22 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Hey Fiddlah your on a roll, keep ona rollin'!!

Just needs a change in the Chorus, yeah drums would do it. The guitar and piano blend nice, just think one should be more arpeggio [think that's the term for single notes..LOL], this I think will separate the two better.  I would also try getting closer to the mic on the vox as they sound a bit thin.

I personally use an Alesis SR16 Drum machine, although it's not the easiest to programme, but once you get the hang of it it's OK. There a few Ampers hear who are expert on FL8, Marino is awesome at programming drums on FL, I think he uses another software with it if I'm not mistaken..
You could always just start playing around with it if you have the patience, see what turns out.

Keep 'em comin'

Denis
#3April 4th, 2009 · 11:33 AM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Hi Denis,
 Thank you for the input....  *I took some mids out of the vocals and added a tiny bit of verb.... do you think I should add possibly a small bit of delay to fill them up a bit?
Thnx again,
 Fid
#4April 4th, 2009 · 11:45 AM
12 threads / 12 songs
89 posts
Canada
cool man
Fiddlah, sounds good. Nice feel. Great vocals. Lead sounds super too. You can add drums when you need to but how about percussion? An egg, or rainstick or some unique sound of your choice. Well done man. Have a great day!...jgv
#5April 4th, 2009 · 12:43 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Hey Fid..Another nice one...Fl is quite good for me...There's a lot that I have learned in here..Minds at Play,Kings,and Puppet Xeno have been instrumental in me learning lots of what I do....Each on there own area of knowledge...If you have yahoo messenger or skype I can point you in the right direction...I use Ez drummer through FL but I can also edit drum samples and make my own loops...There's a lot you can do with Fl it even has its own drum machine called FPC...Another way to get good info is by going to youtube and searching for FL8 tutorials..But Ill be happy to help....
Aas far as the song goes great work..Although I would ad some more breathing points from verse to verse even repeat a few verse ending bars in the second and last verses...Sounding good though...
#6April 4th, 2009 · 12:45 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Like the sound of this one - yes perhaps the vocals are recorded (or eq'd) a little on the "thin" side. 

Drums would add punch in places, which would lift the song a little.  If you're not happy about doing them, ask someone to add them for you (just need to send the sound file and let whoever know the tempo) - like Denis says, Marino is superb at FL and his drum tracks are excellent.  PX is also great at added drums (he helped me in my early days here on Bandamp).

I don't like the guitar solo - I think it's the right instrument, but think the sound and speed are wrong for the laid-back feeling of the song.  Perhaps an acoustic guitar sound would be better.

Recording quality, and construction so far is great.  Vocal delivery, all good.

Thanks for posting.  I enjoyed listening.
#7April 4th, 2009 · 12:49 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Oh yeah now that Jim mentions the solo..Try a mayor pentatonic instead of using the minor one...
#8April 4th, 2009 · 02:29 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Fiddlah wrote…
Hi Denis,
 Thank you for the input....  *I took some mids out of the vocals and added a tiny bit of verb.... do you think I should add possibly a small bit of delay to fill them up a bit?
Thnx again,
 Fid

It 's difficult to manipulate live recordings, so the type of mic you use and the positioning is more important, the later being 80%. I read and listened to a lot of tutorials and all of them say that it's best to try and get the best eq from the mic positioning. As you know the closer you get to the mic the more base you get and the more direct sound you get from the vocal, the further you are the more treble and ambiance you get depending on the room acoustics.  What I do is I start singing and listen through my headphones, experimenting the mic positions until I'm happy with what hear.  I think you can only perfect it when you have lots and lots of practice with your equipment.  It's taken me two years of solid recording to get to know my equipment, and almost every time I use it, I learn something new.  That's why I love making music, you can never stop improving learning, it keeps it interesting.

So basically I would try experimenting the distance from the mic, say record the track again, start from about four inches from the mic, and go back say two inches at a time until you are about 18 inches from the mic, then listen back to it and pick the range you think sounds best.  so once you have done that you will perhaps only have to make very small adjustments in the EQ if any.

As far as reverb is concerned, again personally I try and match the reverb with all the other instruments, they do not necessarily have to be the same settings simply because there will be natural ambiance in some of the tracks. As rule slow tracks hall reverb fast tracks room/stage reverb.  Again the general rule is to add enough to where you you can start to hear it click in.

Well all this works for my, there are many other ways I'm sure.  I hope it can improve your production a bit.

Denis
#9April 4th, 2009 · 02:32 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Marino wrote…
Oh yeah now that Jim mentions the solo..Try a mayor pentatonic instead of using the minor one...

Good Call M
#10April 5th, 2009 · 01:43 PM
34 threads / 18 songs
68 posts
Denmark
Right now I'm wondering; why don't I play piano...? Really nice play.´I think you could could easily put the guitar solo a little bit louder.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 5:49 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.