Swim Out

This song is not in a battle

Comments on song and mix anyone?

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 7th, 2009 · 01:16 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Very original sound! Love the loping, hammering rhythm, the stabbing bursts of guitar, the mournful lyrics. In my humble opinion, the mix could use some tweaking. EQ-wise, it feels a bit harsh. I'm not absolutely sure what it needs...it seems to me the instruments are a bit too loud...particularly the cymbals and the electric rhythm guitar. Also, the solo vocal sounds a bit "pitchy"...I'm not sure whether this is stylization, or just "pitchyness". The harmonies sound good to me. I don't want to sound too critical however, because overall I am really drawn to this song. I think you really have something here!
#3March 7th, 2009 · 02:30 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Welcome Halstack.

The sound doesn't sound harsh on my speakers, can you post the lyrics, you can do that easily by signing in, click on the song then edit tab. you could perhaps bring down the upper mids just a little, it should smooth out the song a bit.

You've done a good job, it just needs a hook if you want to go commercial that is.

The vox are nice, so perhaps have them more in the mix, just a bit more that is as thie mix is  pretty OK.

Overall this is a great song well done, have you anymore?

Cheers

Denis
#4March 7th, 2009 · 07:39 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
It DOES sound better on my headphones...but still a bit harsh in places (again, the guitar bursts and the cymbals). Anyway, I'm really diggin' this!
#5March 7th, 2009 · 10:26 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
Nice song, love the voice over. Really hits you when the vocals come in. There's a slight hiss and I'm not crazy about that acoustic guitar or something that you've got in the background at the first verse picking out notes. It sounds a bit off. The drums at the second verse are great, the stops are a really nice touch. I'd like to hear the drums a bit more, they sound a bit subdued (I'm not crazy about the drums over the second chorus, it's all just the same cymbal). All in all though it's a great song. Well written, well produced. Good work.
#6March 8th, 2009 · 08:45 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I love the song , love the chorus vocals, very tasty.
well done and I love the vocals.

critiques only on the mix..  the song itself is great.

snare could use a bit of help.  the hihat tone is not sitting well into the mix needs work.
kick need more punch.  love the bass guitar work.

need to level out the eq peaks. just a bit. it'll blend everything in to a tighter sound.

the song stops then just the vocal keeps going sounds off to my ears.  sounds like someone automated the faders too slow or something. or did  a fade out on the tracks .. don't get me wrong I love the idea , but if your gonna stop the music there then you should play it with some dynamics imho.

ok.. all in all .. great song. gets a very high vote on quality and just the fact that is is a very good song.
#7March 8th, 2009 · 01:51 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Awesome construction...Trying to remember who it reminds me off...Has lots of classic rock elements which I'm totally into..love the melody and vocals..Im really glad you posted this, its a great listen..The pauses were a good idea just maybe a bit random in placement but cool anyways....Mix pretty awesome on the guitar and tone is very cool....This is a very well put together piece...Kudos and welcome!
#8March 9th, 2009 · 01:57 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
75 posts
United States of America
battlecat wrote…
Very original sound! Love the loping, hammering rhythm, the stabbing bursts of guitar, the mournful lyrics. In my humble opinion, the mix could use some tweaking. EQ-wise, it feels a bit harsh. I'm not absolutely sure what it needs...it seems to me the instruments are a bit too loud...particularly the cymbals and the electric rhythm guitar. Also, the solo vocal sounds a bit "pitchy"...I'm not sure whether this is stylization, or just "pitchyness". The harmonies sound good to me. I don't want to sound too critical however, because overall I am really drawn to this song. I think you really have something here!

Thanks battlecat,

The pitchy may be the small flange effect on the vocs. I will have to check but good ear.
Yes the cymbal sound does hit ya in the face. I fear the more resolute your monitors, the more this may be.
Hence the need for Hi-Fi monitors during mixing.
#9March 9th, 2009 · 02:01 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
75 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
Welcome Halstack.

The sound doesn't sound harsh on my speakers, can you post the lyrics, you can do that easily by signing in, click on the song then edit tab. you could perhaps bring down the upper mids just a little, it should smooth out the song a bit.

You've done a good job, it just needs a hook if you want to go commercial that is.

The vox are nice, so perhaps have them more in the mix, just a bit more that is as thie mix is  pretty OK.

Overall this is a great song well done, have you anymore?

Yes, we have lots. I will post another soon. I must listen more here first. Thanks for your comments.
#10March 9th, 2009 · 02:05 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
75 posts
United States of America
DTF wrote…
Nice song, love the voice over. Really hits you when the vocals come in. There's a slight hiss and I'm not crazy about that acoustic guitar or something that you've got in the background at the first verse picking out notes. It sounds a bit off. The drums at the second verse are great, the stops are a really nice touch. I'd like to hear the drums a bit more, they sound a bit subdued (I'm not crazy about the drums over the second chorus, it's all just the same cymbal). All in all though it's a great song. Well written, well produced. Good work.

Thank you DTF,
I will listen for the hiss. Most likely a c/l is the culprit.
#11March 9th, 2009 · 02:09 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
75 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
I love the song , love the chorus vocals, very tasty.
well done and I love the vocals.

critiques only on the mix..  the song itself is great.

snare could use a bit of help.  the hihat tone is not sitting well into the mix needs work.
kick need more punch.  love the bass guitar work.

need to level out the eq peaks. just a bit. it'll blend everything in to a tighter sound.

the song stops then just the vocal keeps going sounds off to my ears.  sounds like someone automated the faders too slow or something. or did  a fade out on the tracks .. don't get me wrong I love the idea , but if your gonna stop the music there then you should play it with some dynamics imho.

ok.. all in all .. great song. gets a very high vote on quality and just the fact that is is a very good song.

Thanks amundo!

Absolutely the input i am looking for. May try takin the tail off the voc's at the stop for fun.
#12March 9th, 2009 · 02:11 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
75 posts
United States of America
Marino wrote…
Awesome construction...Trying to remember who it reminds me off...Has lots of classic rock elements which I'm totally into..love the melody and vocals..Im really glad you posted this, its a great listen..The pauses were a good idea just maybe a bit random in placement but cool anyways....Mix pretty awesome on the guitar and tone is very cool....This is a very well put together piece...Kudos and welcome!

Thanks, Thanks, and Thanks. Think i'll hang around here for a while.
#13March 10th, 2009 · 04:07 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Extremely original and unique! It has several influences which I can relate to.... Classic rock n roll, a touch of new age, a bit of heavy metal to mention just a few. Very well put together and I personally love the vocal overlays as well as the  chops. Great work and job very well done, in my opinion. Would love to hear more!
 John 
#14March 11th, 2009 · 01:50 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
75 posts
United States of America
Fiddlah wrote…
Extremely original and unique! It has several influences which I can relate to.... Classic rock n roll, a touch of new age, a bit of heavy metal to mention just a few. Very well put together and I personally love the vocal overlays as well as the  chops. Great work and job very well done, in my opinion. Would love to hear more!
 John  ;)

Thanks for the kind words Fiddlah!
#15March 11th, 2009 · 02:49 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Yes Yes, very nice blend of several elements! Great job on the mix... everything where it belongs.  Something was bothering me about the backup vox?  Not sure yet... slightly muted sound or something.  Nice use of samples!  Yes, this is good! Radio quality!  Something the people could easily get in to! Great job!
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 11:34 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.