Take a Chance

This song is not in a battle

A little song about a girl I know...

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 17th, 2008 · 10:28 AM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
You've got a really cool sounding song gives me a very funky Doors feel. I love the intro and the reverb you've got on the lead. My main criticism would be the mix, the vocals need to be louder and the bass needs to be quieter. Also the break at around 1:20 would sound great with some more percussions, it gets a bit repetitive as is, I'd love to hear a breakdown with a larger hand-percussion ensemble. The endings great. All in all a great song., though. Keep it up.
#3December 17th, 2008 · 11:06 AM
7 threads / 7 songs
30 posts
Netherlands
Thanks for the input.

Mixing was a bit hard indeed. I love the bass in front, being a bass player myself. But you might be right that its a bit too much in front.

I dont know why but listening with the headphones makes it somewhat better. Also the vocals are somewhat clearer. I have been using the headphones while mixing this ditty. The sound is way better with the headphones, listening to the song through the pc speakers, I can see your points indeed.

Cheers
#4December 17th, 2008 · 02:08 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Cool song indeed, the arrangement sounds a lot like some Revolting Cocks tunes.. actually toward the direction of their D'ya think I'm sexy? cover

Also that laidback, almost lazy voice strongly resemble that tune however ofcourse this song is yours original and definately so indeed. I likes it a lot. The drums and use of the organ, and some artificial (midi-is) quality seeping through but definately not in a bad way, it makes for a type of clarity while there's also a bit of grittiness in the production, creating a contrast, making for an excellent listening experience.

DTF said funky doors. Yeah, I suppose that goes too. Good job, and I'm downloading this one.
#5December 17th, 2008 · 02:26 PM
7 threads / 7 songs
30 posts
Netherlands
Cheers PuppetXeno,

Nice comment,

I know of the Revolting Cocks, but that seems like decades ago since I have heard them. Dont have any of their albums, this comment is a good stepping stone towards a new meeting with the Revolting Cocks.

I never aimed for a funky Doors-like ditty, but I totally dig Ray Manzarek's keyboard play, always liked that a lot.
#6December 17th, 2008 · 03:04 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I like the sound, I don't think bass is loud [nice bass], I would however try changing the pan particularly the vox
Most vox mixes as I'm sure your aware is in the centre.

The organ is wicked, would pan them left and right if you can. Percussion at the end is cool

Keep 'em comin'

Cheers

Denis
#7December 17th, 2008 · 03:56 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
the mid part at 1:30 is the same as the ending I guess. Love that background vocals. The organ is on the spot imo. It could be mixed with less volume. the note events are ok. And yes... the voice is close to the Doors singer. Lazy but powerful. The voice is too much on the left though. I listened to it a second time and then I thought it's ok there. Shouts out of the corner. Wonderful walking bass. Can imagine your stage performance. Do you perform live?
#8December 17th, 2008 · 04:18 PM
7 threads / 7 songs
30 posts
Netherlands
I did play live in various bands, with guitar, double bass and electric bass.

Due to the workload and newborn babies my fellow bandmembers had to stop playing. Did not find other available musicians to start a band yet. I am stuck to recording at home for the time being.

My stage performance? It can end up a little wild. At the last gig I was attacked by all sorts of drumkit tools, like cymbal stands falling over me...
#9December 19th, 2008 · 09:46 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
Dude, just like the other song I heard, its got an ace sound. Funky! I'd say the mix is ok with the bass up there. I would however agree on the vocals, they're panned too hard and it sounds a bit strange. everything else is top notch!

Nice song, and voted.

Ian
#10December 20th, 2008 · 02:57 AM
24 threads / 15 songs
160 posts
United States of America
Very COOL!!!! I'm still at the intro, and I already like it. The opening is really NICE!!! It was very BIG, nice.... it makes me want to write my songs like this.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 1:56 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.