#1December 13th, 2008 · 12:23 AM
24 threads / 15 songs
160 posts
United States of America
Fall For You(Cover) Help!

This song is not in a battle

*This song is NOT mine*
A few people here have put covers so I guess I can too...
Fall For You, by Second Hand Serenade...
I love this song so much, lol. I posted this song up, because I want to be critized. Not just that, I really want to get better at singing, and I'm serious about that. It might seem a long way before my voice starts to sound "good". But please help me out. If you can, can you point out what I'm doing wrong when singing.
Thanks,
Rao

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 13th, 2008 · 12:34 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Nice work here! Your voice really has a lot of potential! Just shape it and practice every day.
Maybe get lessons?
I suck at singing so I have no idea how much help I'll be to you, but this is pretty good.

Recording quality is kinda low...

Just keep practicing!
#3December 13th, 2008 · 04:22 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I'm not a vocal tutor, I know they are expensive, but even if you have a few lessons, it would give you great gounding for practicing techniques to help you improve.

My cousine had been singing for several years with a pretty good voice before getting some pro singing lessons, his voice has improved dramatically since.

This performance shows you have great passion, thats what I'm hearing, passion is the main ingredient for success in anything we do. Try to control that passion so that you can bring it on where it counts in the song.
Try to experiment with your vocal range, so you know your limitations, practice scales, volumes [lowest to highest] , and long notes, listen to yourself and try and keep the notes as stable as possible. Open your mouth wide on the sounds where it is possible, you'll be amazed what difference it makes.

Try and sing from the gut, this will give your voice more control and stability, when you try and sing high notes try to relax, rather than tence up, by relaxing you will find it's easier to get the high notes, infact it's as though your doing the opposite, it will feel unatural at first.

These are things I've picked up here and there, again I'm not a pro vocal tutor, but the above points have worked for me.

Hope this helps a little

Keep with it

Cheers

Denis
#4December 13th, 2008 · 08:06 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
Alright you've got passion and that's a good start and your voice isn't bad, I think you're just getting a bit too ambitious here.
Firstly you sound strained. This key is too high for you and that's a big part of why you're coming off flat especially at the higher parts. To repeat what Denis said, sing from the gut. The first steps to getting better control is learning how to breathe from your stomach. The best way to this I find, is to remember that when you inhale your belly should swell and and when you exhale it should let that air out. I know this sounds really simple but the first step is to get away from breathing into your chest, try to control your breathing so that your chest doesn't rise and fall, your stomach does.
Once you've got some control over you're breath you've got to control how you let it out. Try breathing slowly and deeply, sing comfortable notes for as long as you can and try and keep them sounding uniform. The pitch shouldn't waver too much and the volume should be steady. Remember, everything should feel comfortable. Singing hard and not being able to speak the next day as a result is generally not the best signs of good vocal training. It'll come slowly. Sitting or standing with good posture (or even lying on your back) while singing will also help a lot.

The next thing that needs control is your pitch. You don't have a bad ear from the sound of this so you're not hopeless and I really think if you listen to yourself singing this in a more comfortable key and register you'll be a lot more pleased with the results. Controlling your pitch is all about listening and practice. I'm guessing you play the guitar so that will be helpful. Singing with the guitar accompanying is a good way to keep your pitch on track but a better test of it is to sing solo. If you're comfortable recording and listening to yourself that will be an asset too. Play notes on the guitar and try to sing them. Play melodies on the guitar and then sing them. Doing this frequently will help you develop and ear. The best case scenario being that you can identify notes or intervals just from hearing them. If you can tune your guitar by ear that's a great start, if you can listen to songs and write out the chords that's good too. I think though that the best thing I can suggest is just to work in a range that is comfortable and sing a lot. Also avoid falsetto singing (that kind of singing from the throat that let's you sing really really high) or at least don't take it seriously. It's an important tool for hitting high notes but if you're starting out you should be working on your real voice first.

The best things I can say are breathe deeply, sing comfortable, and don't strain yourself. Sing with other people if you're comfortable and you'll learn a lot much more quickly and if you can find someone to give you some real instruction that's always good. Learning to sing harmony is also something difficult but incredibly rewarding. That's a good chunk of what I can say on the subject but I too am not a pro vocal tutor or anything of the like. Best of luck.
#5December 14th, 2008 · 07:56 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
and choose easy songs to sing at the start of your career

this song is pretty difficult.

Keep the faith and don't loose your passion
#6December 14th, 2008 · 11:51 AM
24 threads / 15 songs
160 posts
United States of America
Hmmm.... thanks guys. Well, I was searching for a free singing lesson program online and I'm really excited about that. The programs sound good, and there are a number of poeple actually doing it currently (I was skeptical about it at first). And also, after a few temptation of lowering the key, I finally tuned by guitar a half step lower. So when I sang the song, I notice I could sing it easier and better immediately.
I truly appreciate the support from this community,
Rap
#7December 14th, 2008 · 05:37 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Rapcloudstrife wrote…
Hmmm.... thanks guys. Well, I was searching for a free singing lesson program online and I'm really excited about that. The programs sound good, and there are a number of poeple actually doing it currently (I was skeptical about it at first). And also, after a few temptation of lowering the key, I finally tuned by guitar a half step lower. So when I sang the song, I notice I could sing it easier and better immediately.
I truly appreciate the support from this community,
Rap

Cool, if you find any good sites that help you, tell us about it, I like to see how Ampers develope, in doing so it helps the community too, plus it keeps us motivated to improve.

Here are some basics

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ExlDNioX_I&feature=channel

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lu7VzCQkE-Q&feature=channel

Cheers

Denis
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 9:40 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.