#1August 30th, 2008 · 06:56 PM
7 threads / 7 songs
30 posts
Netherlands
Lie Pretty Liar...

This song is not in a battle

Just recorded a 'back to my roots' 70's punk rock song....

Need to get the vocals right next time, gotta work on that...and loads of other stuff as well.

I know what might sound better next time, but tell me anyway...

But remember its a 1970's punk rock song..... a lot of junk was recorded back then...

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 2nd, 2008 · 03:51 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
Hey
 I like the drum beat... Thats cool. The production could use alot of work, as could you're vocals, but you've already mentioned that. Im not too keen on the muddy kind of sound that the whole song seems to have. But it  sounds like you already know what can make it better. So I'll just say that you should put those ideas of improvement into action... try to make it the best you possibly can before declaring it a finished project.
 Also, just because alot of junk was recorded back then, doesn't mean it has to be recorded now.... I'm not saying that this song is junk, but it sounds like you think it is, and if you don't believe in you're music, then no-one else will either.

otherwise a good song... got alot of potential

Ian
#3September 2nd, 2008 · 06:25 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
review..............
hi energy ...............but poor production.............
bet this sounds great live!!!!!!!!!!!
so i give it 60%
as per
http://about.bandamp.com/rating.html
the fish
#4September 3rd, 2008 · 07:28 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
This sounds like an awesome live song. Clear it up a little, but I am really loving the groove on this.
Not bad at all not bad at all I love what youve done with the drums, and I think the muddy guitar fits. (Nice wah/phase man!)
I think this is nice! 77% from me!
(id love to hear another version with the vocals fixed a little but otherwise the guitar and drums is awesome)
#5September 4th, 2008 · 03:02 PM
7 threads / 7 songs
30 posts
Netherlands
SirBorris wrote…
Also, just because alot of junk was recorded back then, doesn't mean it has to be recorded now....

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the input, the junk reverence was a sort of tongue in cheek statement, but I forgot the 'tongue-in-cheek' emoticon.

I think I need a more active approach when it comes to singing next time...just standing up like I am playing a gig. That might at least give it a more lively feel to it.

Cheers,

E.
#6September 4th, 2008 · 03:05 PM
7 threads / 7 songs
30 posts
Netherlands
re: review..............
swordfish wrote…
.....but poor production.............

I see what you mean, its my first recording with a new recorder. Kinda need to figure out how it all works. I used to fiddle around with a Fostex Homerecorder, but I thought I'd go digital this time. I hope I will push the right buttons soon...

Thanks for the review.

Cheers

E.
#7September 4th, 2008 · 03:09 PM
7 threads / 7 songs
30 posts
Netherlands
TheKunadiun wrote…
(id love to hear another version with the vocals fixed a little )

Thanks for the review and the encouraging words,  gonna work on getting the vocals right next weekend.

Cheers,

E.
#8September 4th, 2008 · 06:53 PM
11 threads / 4 songs
27 posts
Turkey
guitars are too dominant and "bassy" for me. Still, nice feeling.
#9September 30th, 2008 · 06:05 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
classic garage/gungeee &
Kinda perfect in the right gig , drums really could do with lift tho they are great  &  cause the gits are cool, just wanna feel the thump. Vocals in the style your singing in will be stronger on next outing?  hey
keep working on it mate sounds like you're onto something .
best regards
blakhatz
#10September 30th, 2008 · 08:17 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
ah the early days of punk rock. good delivery and musicianship.  need to remix it , but man it is slammin.
#11October 3rd, 2008 · 03:00 AM
11 posts
United States of America
Hmmm,,,,,, Not impressed.
After listening to this song,,,,, it represents exactly what it is - basic. You should educate yourself more on over-all sound, recording, production, presentation, ideals, and basic talent for songs. If this is a "back to your roots" song, then back to what? I am a fan of the Ramones, Sex Pistols, NY Dolls, etc... Their idea of punk had some meaning, although dissonant. This song represents no aspiration of any ideals toward punk. I see this as just a mediocre copy of punk. You should try to sing in key to this, or any of your music. That idea would put everything "out of tune". This is a start on punk. And, come up with an original idea for a song. Try some different chord structure, instead of the basic "bar chords",,,, add a minor 7th, 9th, or just a diminished chord somewhere. Listen to any classical music, and structure for some ideas. You may surprise yourself.  
#12October 3rd, 2008 · 09:09 AM
7 threads / 7 songs
30 posts
Netherlands
re: Hmmm,,,,,, Not impressed.
TEEDRO wrote…
Listen to any classical music, and structure for some ideas. You may surprise yourself.   :shake:

Thanks for the comments, even though you are not impressed. Hey cant win them all....right?

Funny you mentioned listening to classical music. Just bought another big collection of music by Philip Glass, John Cage, Glen Gould and the Dutch composer Simeon ten Holt.

But I also still listen to the bands that stunned me in the 70's like The Damned, Sex Pistols, Siouxie, The Buzzcocks, The Clash etc etc. and their American counterparts like The Ramones, The Stooges, The New York Dolls, The Dickies, Bad Brains and The Dead Kennedy's.

And everything in between like David Bowie, King Crimson, and most of all Frank Zappa...

I think I can say that I know where to find new and old ideas.

Basically, I am not playing music to impress people. That was never my goal. My goal was to record an idea, a feeling I had when I had the song on my mind. It can always be better for sure....but for me the basic ideas of punk rock is the DIY attitude. If you have something you want to express, grab your instruments and just do it. Even if you only know three chords. Thats was the original message that was send out in mid seventies.... Just do what you feel is right...and that is what I did. Sorry if it annoyed you....

For inspirational (is that a word?) use, its great to read the comments and always nice to read tips to improve. Thanx
#13October 12th, 2008 · 12:35 AM
13 threads / 12 songs
149 posts
United States of America
3 chords and the truth
well said stoppel,if you feel it play it!!!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 2:58 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.